Kitase explain declining series sales

#1kupo1705Posted 2/19/2013 10:50:00 PM
http://www.examiner.com/article/lightning-returns-final-fantasy-xiii-producer-explains-declining-series-sales

Yoshinori Kitase has offered an explanation as to why “Final Fantasy XIII-2” sold a lot less than “Final Fantasy XIII.” According to a report by The Guardian on Feb. 18, the producer at Square Enix disclosed that players did not know that they don’t have to play the first game in order to have knowledge on the story of the second title. He also mentioned that the plot in “Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII” won’t require experience with the previous games either. You can check out some screens from the upcoming role-playing game in the slideshow at the top of this article and the comments from Yoshinori Kitase below (courtesy of The Guardian):

Between Final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy XIII 2, we saw a drop in sales of 3m. So it's not like we feel the pressure is off at all. The reason for the drop may have been down to the fact that not many players knew you didn't have to have played Final Fantasy XIII to understand the plot in its sequel. We're hoping that we can get that message across for Lightning Returns, because the same is true here.

-
Yeah, or maybe it's because XIII sucked so nobody wanted the sequel.
#2Run_2_the_HillsPosted 2/19/2013 10:51:43 PM
ill go w/ kupo's reasoning over kitase.
#3theofficefan99Posted 2/19/2013 10:52:42 PM
The real reason is because a lot of people weren't happy with XIII and because XIII-2 looked like crap and didn't appeal to most people. Not the BS Kitase came up with.
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#4hyro56Posted 2/19/2013 10:57:36 PM
So much for honesty.

Square-Enix would do well to be more open about their shortcomings. Especially to their fans. Unfortunately for us, shareholders are more important then the consumers.
---
Please feel free to correct me on my grammar and/or spelling. I appreciate your help.
#5RomangeloPosted 2/19/2013 11:03:46 PM
It's a sequel FFS
---
X > V > T > VI > XII > XIII-2 > X-2 > XIII > TLR > VIII > VII > IV > IX > II > III > I
#6kupo1705(Topic Creator)Posted 2/19/2013 11:04:41 PM
hyro56 posted...
So much for honesty.

Square-Enix would do well to be more open about their shortcomings. Especially to their fans. Unfortunately for us, shareholders are more important then the consumers.

I wonder if they'll admit it after this series is done.
They know it's bad, but they can't admit it yet.
Except for Toriyama, he probably thinks they're masterpieces.
#7EscaSyraPosted 2/19/2013 11:14:22 PM
Haha.... Oh Kitase... How wrong you are...
#8BlueMagicLorePosted 2/19/2013 11:18:31 PM
So basically Kitase thinks people went "Hmm, I didn't play XIII, so I won't get XIII-2."

But XIII sold around 6 million copies, right? He's not accounting for the 3 million or so that bought it and didn't return to buy the sequel.

THAT is the question you need to answer, Kitase.
#9gwoodtamuPosted 2/19/2013 11:56:22 PM
Oh hey look everybody, a who's who of haters all in one topic.
#10ValorZraykPosted 2/20/2013 12:03:02 AM
On the other side, this is proof that FF13-2 sold 3 million copies.
---
Kingdom Hearts: 3D>BbS>1>Days>Coded>ReCOM>2 >CoM
Final Fantasy: 10>13>7>12>4>1>2>10-2