Why do people praise X as one of the best but hate XIII?

#81Gandalf the IstariPosted 2/27/2013 1:38:41 PM
Far less linear in mechanics and design. Actually has sidequests. Story and characters are much better written/developed (dues ex machina out the wazoo, poor development of world, datalog in XIII). I enjoy both battle systems so I won't really claim one is better than the other there - in terms of leveling/optimizing X far exceeds anything XIII can hope to claim.
#82FishermanFriendPosted 2/28/2013 6:37:08 PM(edited)
Because FFX is your typical Final Fantasy game, minus the world map.

Did you not realize what everyone complained about when XIII was released?

No towns, no mini games, no grinding, only one controllable party member, if your character dies it's game over,auto heal after battle, the only shops are at save points ability to restart a battle on a whim etc etc These are all things that PLAGUED the board on release.

Basically every single thing people said was wrong with XIII was something that wasn't present in any other Final Fantasy game.

Instead of judging the game based on it's own merits, they simply went through a check list of really petty and quite frankly insignificant and shallow things(no tooooowwwnnzzz) to decide that XIII was a horrible game.

It's why you see so many people saying after dismissing the game and trying it a month or year later, they actually enjoyed it. Because they didn't have any silly expectations. They just played the game and accepted it for what it was, not what they thought it should be and judged it based on that.
#83ExtremeLightPosted 2/28/2013 6:34:22 PM
FishermanFriend posted...

No towns, no mini games, no grinding, only one controllable party member, if your character dies it's game over,auto heal after battle, the only shops are at save points ability to restart a battle on a whim etc etc These are all things that PLAGUED the board on release.

Basically every single thing people said was wrong with XIII was something that wasn't present in any other Final Fantasy game.

Instead of judging the game based on it's own merits, they simply went through a check list of really petty and quite frankly insignificant and shallow things to decide that XIII was a horrible game.

10/10
---
Lightning Returns will surpass 13-2 and become accepted by haters!
#84zodiac_swordPosted 2/28/2013 6:42:05 PM
ExtremeLight posted...

Instead of judging the game based on it's own merits, they simply went through a check list of really petty and quite frankly insignificant and shallow things to decide that XIII was a horrible game.

10/10

Except these complains are not petty or shallow.
---
What do you think it means when a girl leaves a fake mustache at your house?
#85FishermanFriendPosted 2/28/2013 6:49:05 PM
zodiac_sword posted...
ExtremeLight posted...

10/10

Except these complains are not petty or shallow.

Amazing rebuttal. My opinion has done a 180. I've completely changed my mind.
#86DragoonGriffithPosted 2/28/2013 6:52:15 PM(edited)
It's not just because FFXIII fails as a FF.

It's because it fails in several ways as a FF, RPG and a GAME.
---
http://i.imgur.com/ugfYWuG.gif
#87zodiac_swordPosted 2/28/2013 7:15:51 PM(edited)
Amazing rebuttal. My opinion has done a 180. I've completely changed my mind.

http://z3.ifrm.com/28098/43/0/e642552//e642552.gif

Nothing I said would've changed your mind
---
What do you think it means when a girl leaves a fake mustache at your house?
#88ExtremeLightPosted 2/28/2013 7:16:46 PM
DragoonGriffith posted...
It's not just because FFXIII fails as a FF.

It's because it fails in several ways as a FF, RPG and a GAME.

Lol!!!! It was a good game without the things that made FF, FF. Admit it. Most of the hate is because it lack these so-called FF elements.
---
Lightning Returns will surpass 13-2 and become accepted by haters!
#89MagnaderAlphaPosted 2/28/2013 10:21:59 PM
I don't praise FFX. It's not a bad game, but when everybody started to praise it back in the day, I just wasn't one of them. Interestingly enough, regarding FFX, FFVIII and FFXIII, my stance on those games seem to align perfectly with Noah Antwiler's(Spoony Experiment). I think the only thing that seems to make a world of difference is that Nojima was responsible for a lot of the story, and despite having just about the same percentage of creating derpy characters, his stories seem to have more structure than Toriyama's.