Whiniest character in the series?

#61Mindwipe77Posted 3/6/2013 12:55:58 PM
VanilleHopen posted...
anyone who says hope honestly I don't even.. UM HI HE was 14.... 14 years old.. Think of all the stuff that poor child went through throughout the course of ff xiii... What were most of you doing at the age of 14??? Putting lost teeth under your pillow so the tooth fairy could give you an allowance.that's what you were doing..

Now look at Hope... A leader, a Ruler of the peoples... rebuilding Civilization and giving life to the human race...

just eat ya'lls potatoe chips and leave him be..

he's the worst ff character ever
---
Now playing-DCUO, Sonic Transformed,Fire Emblem Awakening
Waiting for-Lightning Returns,Injustice CE,PS4
#62mahroflcopterPosted 3/6/2013 2:21:08 PM
Elice_Carol posted...
Now now, Cheef. My flatmate's a genius when it comes to stuff like languages and maths, but outside of that she has very little common sense and I find her to be quite ditzy. This one time, she.....never mind.

Point being, just because you can make some dumb decisions here and there doesn't mean you're universally unintelligent. 14 year olds might not believe in the tooth fairy, but I'm sure they're capable of making irrational decisions when put under stressful conditions. Don't you agree?

Like I said: Hope being stressed, crying, and vulnerable was fine. I completely understand why and would have been sympathetic if not for the whole "Cold blooded murder attempt which we heard him plan for 6 damn chapters". That goes beyond "irrational decisions".

I said above average, so I was implying he had an IQ above 110.

Let's look at the logic here (what little there is to be found in "The Lightning Saga")

XIII-2 Lightning = "Warrior Goddess"; Knight of the Goddess; The Warrior.

Makes sense. She was already said to be among the best in the army in terms of combat and survival skills; we already knew she had leadership capabilities; and she already was in the military. So it makes sense to have her in this kind of position since she has the skills to fight and survive as well as lead others to fending off Caius. Hell, we've seen these skills in action.

XIII-2 Serah = History Teacher.

Makes sense. We already had background knowledge from extended material that she was a great student, she liked history, and she already talked about becoming a teacher. We also know she likes kids since she was excited for Snow's whole "big family" thing.

XIII-2 Sazh = Pilot.

Makes sense. He was already a pilot before the game and we've seen his skills in action.

XIII-2 Snow = Militia leader and basically the mayor.

A little bit of a stretch, but still makes a certain amount of sense. He was already a militia leader before XIII, so that makes sense. As to being the mayor: He has charisma. He can bring people together. People already have some sort of respect for him. He does have combat skills (not on the level of Lightning or perhaps even Fang, mind you, but he still does have them) which is greatly needed on Pulse. You can kind of see how he would get such a position.

Doing great so far.

XIII-2 Hope = Super Genius. He creates planets, invents new advanced technology, can create man made Fal'cie, has a complete understanding of time travel and can manipulate it himself through the use of technology, can create paradox weapons, and is so respected for his intelligence that he become the head of the Academy despite reservations.

And like that we have gone off the deep end.

I don't even know what kind of IQ you would need to pull off becoming an expert on temporal mechanics and a dozen different other fields of study simultaneously in well under 10 years (he was already a super genius at 24, so he must have worked his way up before this... so we're looking at a time table of 7 years or so). Even with "Suspension of Disbelief", unlike with the others, we have nothing to look back at and say "Oh yeah, with that in mind this makes sense".

Bottom line: They needed a character for exposition, and since Hope was popular enough to warrant a significant role alongside Lightning (even though we don't see her much), he fit the bill and got the part.
---
Currently going "squa squa squa!"
To the Devil May Cry franchise: http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ls0e5g1oWn1qjkv09o1_500.gif... at least for now.
#63AngryGFAQerPosted 3/6/2013 2:35:43 PM
A cross between Tidus and Hope.
---
"I was garbage, the writing transformed," - Raiden
I'm Batman. I don't enjoy anything.
#64roxas9001Posted 3/6/2013 2:45:03 PM
mahroflcopter posted...
XIII-2 Hope = Super Genius. He creates planets, invents new advanced technology, can create man made Fal'cie, has a complete understanding of time travel and can manipulate it himself through the use of technology, can create paradox weapons, and is so respected for his intelligence that he become the head of the Academy despite reservations.

And like that we have gone off the deep end.

I don't even know what kind of IQ you would need to pull off becoming an expert on temporal mechanics and a dozen different other fields of study simultaneously in well under 10 years (he was already a super genius at 24, so he must have worked his way up before this... so we're looking at a time table of 7 years or so). Even with "Suspension of Disbelief", unlike with the others, we have nothing to look back at and say "Oh yeah, with that in mind this makes sense".

Bottom line: They needed a character for exposition, and since Hope was popular enough to warrant a significant role alongside Lightning (even though we don't see her much), he fit the bill and got the part.

Hope has to have some screws in the box upstairs if he could fit his boomerang with AMP Technology even Snow used it.
---
Nanomachines, Son
Official Zidane Tribal of the FFXV Board
#65UnderratedGamerPosted 3/6/2013 5:08:00 PM
Hope and Tidus. No others come nearly as close.
---
"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived." - Isaac Asimov
#66ExtremeLightPosted 3/6/2013 5:14:29 PM
Whoa whoa whoa!
Back it up. Back the complaints up!

Since when was Hope "whiny"?
I never seen him verbally complained...

Heck Rikku moans every time and was afraid of lightning. Even Tidus whine when he found out they had ways to go.

But Hope? He had this internal conflict whether or not he should kill snow. And never even heard him whine. Weak? Sure. Whiny? Far from.
---
Lightning Returns will surpass 13-2 and become accepted by haters!
Official Noctis Lucis Caelum of the XV board.
#67TorgoForever(Topic Creator)Posted 3/6/2013 5:15:05 PM
UnderratedGamer posted...

At the very least, Tidus doesn't mope over one girl for SEVENTEEN YEARS. I don't see how Edward isn't in this tier.
---
http://i.imgur.com/Pop1shL.jpg
"Oh shut up. I played HDN and other RPGs and I don't care if they either good or bad, they're still good." -MewMewFan
#68King_Shortt_IXPosted 3/6/2013 5:15:39 PM
Hope.
---
The contents of this post may not reflect the views of the poster.
#69UnderratedGamerPosted 3/6/2013 6:32:16 PM
TorgoForever posted...
UnderratedGamer posted...

At the very least, Tidus doesn't mope over one girl for SEVENTEEN YEARS. I don't see how Edward isn't in this tier.

He whines about going home to his luxury home in Zanarkand so that he can play some more 2-Dimensional water polo. What about his daddy problems too?

I'm surprised Jecht didn't ever back-hand Tidus. At least he always gave him s***. That's why Jecht is the best thing that's ever happened to FFX.

Edward is 3rd worst because at least you couldn't hear his voice until the DS remake. And even then he doesn't talk all that much AND you could turn the voice acting off without turning down the volume.
---
"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived." - Isaac Asimov
#70UnderratedGamerPosted 3/6/2013 6:34:07 PM
ExtremeLight posted...
Whoa whoa whoa!
Back it up. Back the complaints up!

Since when was Hope "whiny"?
I never seen him verbally complained...

Heck Rikku moans every time and was afraid of lightning. Even Tidus whine when he found out they had ways to go.

But Hope? He had this internal conflict whether or not he should kill snow. And never even heard him whine. Weak? Sure. Whiny? Far from.

Dude, his mom VOLUNTEERED to do it. And even then, Snow asked if anyone wanted to stay behind. She didn't do that AND SHE HAD CHILDREN.

His mom was just a dumb broad that had an accident 14 years prior to the incident.
---