Whiniest character in the series?

#81UnderratedGamerPosted 3/7/2013 12:31:59 AM
TorgoForever posted...
UnderratedGamer posted...
TorgoForever posted...
Hope and Tidus. No others come nearly as close.

At the very least, Tidus doesn't mope over one girl for SEVENTEEN YEARS. I don't see how Edward isn't in this tier.

He whines about going home to his luxury home in Zanarkand so that he can play some more 2-Dimensional water polo. What about his daddy problems too?

I'm surprised Jecht didn't ever back-hand Tidus. At least he always gave him s***. That's why Jecht is the best thing that's ever happened to FFX.

Edward is 3rd worst because at least you couldn't hear his voice until the DS remake. And even then he doesn't talk all that much AND you could turn the voice acting off without turning down the volume.

How does whining about being separated from home since a matter of days compare to moping over someone's death for SEVENTEEN YEARS!? That's a huge difference in time.

And if we're putting VA into account, FFX at least has the excuse of being the first FF to have it.

I would rather NOT have voice acting if the voice implied is annoying to the ears. At least then I can comprehend the gist of what's going on in my own taste. I can put aside the character story's bs as long as I don't have to hear them.

Visual learning known as Icons are only filtered in through short term memory. They're not as likely to last as easily as audio learning, which is filtered through long term memory. When reading Edward's dialogue, you not only get to forget the tid bits of annoying dialogue, but you can interpret it in your own standards. Rather than Tidus being an independent variable. The audio learning is represented through echoes which last longer in your memory bank. You can't change or interpret Tidus's voice even if you wanted to.

In conclusion, the average person can hear and remember an annoyance more than someone trying to remember a visual annoyance that lasts largely in short term memory.

In theory, Tidus is more annoying than Edward but at the same time can be more remembered in persona than Edward, if not for that.
---
"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived." - Isaac Asimov
#82Lindaru111Posted 3/7/2013 12:44:13 AM
zodiac_sword posted...
Innerscope posted...
fanbase

Sweet, we're characters now.

yaaay I can be an white mage with kitty ears :3
---
You don't need a reason to help people. - Zidane (FFIX)
#83Elice_CarolPosted 3/7/2013 3:51:40 AM
XIII-2 Hope = Super Genius. He creates planets, invents new advanced technology, can create man made Fal'cie, has a complete understanding of time travel and can manipulate it himself through the use of technology, can create paradox weapons, and is so respected for his intelligence that he become the head of the Academy despite reservations.

And like that we have gone off the deep end.

I don't even know what kind of IQ you would need to pull off becoming an expert on temporal mechanics and a dozen different other fields of study simultaneously in well under 10 years (he was already a super genius at 24, so he must have worked his way up before this... so we're looking at a time table of 7 years or so). Even with "Suspension of Disbelief", unlike with the others, we have nothing to look back at and say "Oh yeah, with that in mind this makes sense".

Bottom line: They needed a character for exposition, and since Hope was popular enough to warrant a significant role alongside Lightning (even though we don't see her much), he fit the bill and got the part.

Oi, did I send you that PM telling you to watch Evangelion? Pretty sure I did, but you never, like, responded or @*(.
---
"The only thing that gets me high is the musky scent of my enemy's fear.'' - Stephen Colbert
http://s1136.photobucket.com/albums/n496/Elice_Carol/
#84King_Shortt_IXPosted 3/7/2013 4:48:36 AM
There is no room for mourning in these games. Hope should have spared us the few hours of his grief..
---
The contents of this post may not reflect the views of the poster.
#85Elice_CarolPosted 3/7/2013 6:07:22 AM
There is no room for mourning in these games. Hope should have spared us the few hours of his grief..

http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n496/Elice_Carol/3%20Times%20The%20Crap/shinjipls-1_zps83c3ec2a.jpg
---
"The only thing that gets me high is the musky scent of my enemy's fear.'' - Stephen Colbert
http://s1136.photobucket.com/albums/n496/Elice_Carol/
#86TorgoForever(Topic Creator)Posted 3/7/2013 8:16:03 AM
TorgoForever posted...
TorgoForever posted...
Hope and Tidus. No others come nearly as close.

At the very least, Tidus doesn't mope over one girl for SEVENTEEN YEARS. I don't see how Edward isn't in this tier.

He whines about going home to his luxury home in Zanarkand so that he can play some more 2-Dimensional water polo. What about his daddy problems too?

I'm surprised Jecht didn't ever back-hand Tidus. At least he always gave him s***. That's why Jecht is the best thing that's ever happened to FFX.

Edward is 3rd worst because at least you couldn't hear his voice until the DS remake. And even then he doesn't talk all that much AND you could turn the voice acting off without turning down the volume.

How does whining about being separated from home since a matter of days compare to moping over someone's death for SEVENTEEN YEARS!? That's a huge difference in time.

And if we're putting VA into account, FFX at least has the excuse of being the first FF to have it.

I would rather NOT have voice acting if the voice implied is annoying to the ears. At least then I can comprehend the gist of what's going on in my own taste. I can put aside the character story's bs as long as I don't have to hear them.

Visual learning known as Icons are only filtered in through short term memory. They're not as likely to last as easily as audio learning, which is filtered through long term memory. When reading Edward's dialogue, you not only get to forget the tid bits of annoying dialogue, but you can interpret it in your own standards. Rather than Tidus being an independent variable. The audio learning is represented through echoes which last longer in your memory bank. You can't change or interpret Tidus's voice even if you wanted to.

In conclusion, the average person can hear and remember an annoyance more than someone trying to remember a visual annoyance that lasts largely in short term memory.

In theory, Tidus is more annoying than Edward but at the same time can be more remembered in persona than Edward, if not for that.

I've never been just an average person though. I paid just as much attention to Edward's dialogue as I did to Tidus', voice or no voice. Hence why I found Edward to be the more annoying of the two.

And why are you completely dodging the comparison of being completely separated recently to being unable to cope with someone's death for almost two decades?
---
http://i.imgur.com/Pop1shL.jpg
"Oh shut up. I played HDN and other RPGs and I don't care if they either good or bad, they're still good." -MewMewFan
#87UnderratedGamerPosted 3/8/2013 12:53:39 AM
TorgoForever posted...
TorgoForever posted...

I've never been just an average person though. I paid just as much attention to Edward's dialogue as I did to Tidus', voice or no voice. Hence why I found Edward to be the more annoying of the two.

And why are you completely dodging the comparison of being completely separated recently to being unable to cope with someone's death for almost two decades?

Because you see Edward all of those 17 years.

You literally watch Tidus crash and burn from beginning to end with his whine fest.

Edward is annoying yes. But he's not making up the majority of the game like Tidus is.
---
"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived." - Isaac Asimov
#88TorgoForever(Topic Creator)Posted 3/8/2013 1:04:42 AM
TorgoForever posted...
TorgoForever posted...

Because you see Edward all of those 17 years.

You literally watch Tidus crash and burn from beginning to end with his whine fest.

Edward is annoying yes. But he's not making up the majority of the game like Tidus is.

I presume you mean don't see for those 17 years, but not seeing him whine for all this time doesn't make him technically less whinier if the time gap is that huge.

More of Tidus' whining may be shown, but if someone spends that much time whining, storytelling aside, he or she is technically whinier even if not as directly annoying.
---
http://i.imgur.com/Pop1shL.jpg
"Oh shut up. I played HDN and other RPGs and I don't care if they either good or bad, they're still good." -MewMewFan
#89LuBu1975Posted 3/8/2013 2:14:46 AM(edited)
DragoonGriffith posted...
Tidus, Hope and Lightning, though Tidus at least has a good excuse compared to the other two.

Tidus only whines in the flashbacks when he was a kid. Which doesn't count according to the description above (in a childish fashion). Lightning doesn't whine at all. Hope has better reason than Tidus.

My nominations would go to Zell and Steiner.
---
Playing: Ken's Rage 2, AC3, MG Rising.
Watching: Hokuto No Ken. Reading: ASoIaF (again).
#90JanneK89Posted 3/8/2013 3:50:19 AM(edited)
Steiner.