Best and Worst Protagonist in the Series

#71LuBu1975Posted 3/8/2013 4:54:16 AM
Ok you asked for it.

Flaws in FFIX:

Weak and ugly hero.

Rubbish hero name. Mostly FF use original names. For this poorly contrived game they must have had insufficient talent involved so they used a footballers name.

Card game was confusing bs. After the excellent Triple Triad in VIII we get this mess. They would've been better off not changing anything since they lacked the talent to devise something original.

Battle System was weak compared to most other FFs. Even IX fans agree on this.

You couldn't unequip characters not in your party. This left you often without equipment for your current party. This was made worse by the fact you would switch after bosses leaving you with the unhappy choice of either unequipping them before the boss (if you even knew the change was imminent) and losing the boss AP or not having them available for the other party.

It had some of the worst mini-games ever. Jump-rope, racing Hippaul, frog catching. What a load of rubbish. The only decent one was the Chocographs (which was also based on an VIII sidequest).

Ozma was one of the worst and easiest superbosses in FF history.

The character design was rubbish. Garnet's head was as big as her body. They all looked like kids. What was their target audience, paedophiles?

Music wasn't very good. Fair enough this is opinion but it is my honest opinion.

Now before the IX fans attack remember that the guy asked me for this. He has the nerve to say i haven't played the game. I purchased this game on it's release date many years ago and have completed it around five times. I don't dislike it i just reckon it isn't top tier FF.
---
Playing: Ken's Rage 2, AC3, MG Rising.
Watching: Hokuto No Ken. Reading: ASoIaF (again).
#72Lindaru111Posted 3/8/2013 5:39:10 AM(edited)
LuBu1975 posted...
Ok you asked for it.

Flaws in FFIX:

Weak and ugly hero.

Rubbish hero name. Mostly FF use original names. For this poorly contrived game they must have had insufficient talent involved so they used a footballers name.

Card game was confusing bs. After the excellent Triple Triad in VIII we get this mess. They would've been better off not changing anything since they lacked the talent to devise something original.

Battle System was weak compared to most other FFs. Even IX fans agree on this.

You couldn't unequip characters not in your party. This left you often without equipment for your current party. This was made worse by the fact you would switch after bosses leaving you with the unhappy choice of either unequipping them before the boss (if you even knew the change was imminent) and losing the boss AP or not having them available for the other party.

It had some of the worst mini-games ever. Jump-rope, racing Hippaul, frog catching. What a load of rubbish. The only decent one was the Chocographs (which was also based on an VIII sidequest).

Ozma was one of the worst and easiest superbosses in FF history.

The character design was rubbish. Garnet's head was as big as her body. They all looked like kids. What was their target audience, paedophiles?

Music wasn't very good. Fair enough this is opinion but it is my honest opinion.

Now before the IX fans attack remember that the guy asked me for this. He has the nerve to say i haven't played the game. I purchased this game on it's release date many years ago and have completed it around five times. I don't dislike it i just reckon it isn't top tier FF.

Rubbish,rubbish and more rubbish...
That's the artstyle of the game and many people seemed to dislike IX because of it.

Oh christ almighty, Cloud and Squall were named after weather fathomals, where Zidane is actually an real name and very rare one.
Same goes with Tidus witch means sun in okinawa (I think)...

About the mini games I liked Tetra Master more then Triple Triad and Ozma was effing challenging, even more then Emerald and Ruby Weapons in VII and Ultima/Omega Weapons from VIII.

And do NOT get me started on Triple Triad and it's oh so "excellent" mechanics, where CPU complitely DESTROYS you in that one sidequest *cough*Queen of Cards*cough*.

I liked the battle system a bit and Trance (more awesome then spammable Omnislash and Lion Heart)

Rubbish, rubbish and more rubbish indeed...*tries to bottle up rage*
---
You don't need a reason to help people. - Zidane (FFIX)
#73LuBu1975Posted 3/8/2013 6:34:43 AM(edited)
Calm down dude. The guy asked for flaws and i provided them. The rest is all opinion. Although i have to admit some of your arguments are quite weak. For instance i doubt you'll find many people who'd agree that IX's card game is better than VIII's. Also i don't remember ever getting destroyed during Queen of Cards. You must've been doing something wrong. It's best to save beforehand so you can reload if you lose any rare cards.
---
#74TiaelPosted 3/8/2013 6:45:49 AM
LuBu1975 posted...
DragoonGriffith posted...
Ragnarokius, why are you arguing with someone who slept through FFIX?

Totally understandable since it is a snorefest. But seriously i've played it numerous times and it is far weaker than the other FFs of it's time. I would go as far as to say it only surpasses the snes FFs.

The flaws in that game are numerous and galling. Here's one major example. As we all know one of the goals 99% of rpg players play for is 100% completion. This stupid game comes out with an absurd side-quest (12 hours to reach the end) which makes sure that that will never be possible. Either you'll get the sword and miss the majority of the rest of the game (including cut-scenes) or you'll not get it and have an incomplete Steiner. They weren't even smart enough to duplicate the ability of the sword onto another easier to obtain weapon.

There are many, many other flaws but this one was unforgivable.

Excalibur 2 - Minus Strike & Climhazzard & Stock Break

Excalibur - Climhazzard
Ultima Sword - Stock Break
Iron Sword - Minus Strike

My Steiner certainly isn't "incomplete", and I've never gone for the Excalibur II.
And he still hits for 9999.
---
Hoping for: Bravely Default: Flying Fairy, Dragon Quest VII 3DS localization.
Dragon Quest>Ys>SMT>Tales>Final Fantasy, but I enjoy all five.
#75Lindaru111Posted 3/8/2013 6:46:54 AM
LuBu1975 posted...
Calm down dude. The guy asked for flaws and i provided them. The rest is all opinion. Although i have to admit some of your arguments are quite weak. For instance i doubt you'll find many people who'd agree that IX's card game is better than VIII's. Also i don't remember ever getting destroyed during Queen of Cards. You must've been doing something wrong. It's best to save beforehand so you can reload if you lose any rare cards.

I'm sorry but I'm not good at arguments...
I just wanted to add my two cents.
---
#76RomangeloPosted 3/8/2013 6:50:03 AM
remember? Zidane walking around soullessly for 20 minutes after he knew the truth about who he is.

what a loser. even Vaan and Tidus never ran away from problems, especially Tidus who knew he's gonna disappear but he still sacrifice his life to save Yuna. you people said Tidus is the worst protagonist and praise Zidane. so lame. Tidus was annoying in the beginning of the game but he developed his personality and become a man like his dad in the end.
---
X > V > T > VI > XII > XIII-2 > VIII > VII > X-2 > TLR > XIII > IV > IX > II > III > I
#77TiaelPosted 3/8/2013 6:52:29 AM
Actually, I said Luneth is my least favorite, but go back to gazing at children longingly.
---
Hoping for: Bravely Default: Flying Fairy, Dragon Quest VII 3DS localization.
Dragon Quest>Ys>SMT>Tales>Final Fantasy, but I enjoy all five.
#78Lindaru111Posted 3/8/2013 6:58:59 AM
Romangelo posted...
remember? Zidane walking around soullessly for 20 minutes after he knew the truth about who he is.

what a loser. even Vaan and Tidus never ran away from problems, especially Tidus who knew he's gonna disappear but he still sacrifice his life to save Yuna. you people said Tidus is the worst protagonist and praise Zidane. so lame. Tidus was annoying in the beginning of the game but he developed his personality and become a man like his dad in the end.

Heck, anyone would become depressed or temporarely go insane if you found out that your entire life would have been nothing but an lie or your entire point of your existance being destroying the world you lived on almost your entire life and killing everyone you ever cared about.

That's complitely understandable why he was like that, because that's when he was showing emotions that anyone could have at that moment.
---
#79RomangeloPosted 3/8/2013 7:01:02 AM
Lindaru111 posted...
Romangelo posted...

Heck, anyone would become depressed or temporarely go insane if you found out that your entire life would have been nothing but an lie or your entire point of your existance being destroying the world you lived on almost your entire life and killing everyone you ever cared about.

That's complitely understandable why he was like that, because that's when he was showing emotions that anyone could have at that moment.

at least not for Vivi and Tidus. oh and Son Goku, the original Zidane too.
---
X > V > T > VI > XII > XIII-2 > VIII > VII > X-2 > TLR > XIII > IV > IX > II > III > I
#80LuBu1975Posted 3/8/2013 7:05:41 AM
Tiael posted...
LuBu1975 posted...
DragoonGriffith posted...
Ragnarokius, why are you arguing with someone who slept through FFIX?

Totally understandable since it is a snorefest. But seriously i've played it numerous times and it is far weaker than the other FFs of it's time. I would go as far as to say it only surpasses the snes FFs.

The flaws in that game are numerous and galling. Here's one major example. As we all know one of the goals 99% of rpg players play for is 100% completion. This stupid game comes out with an absurd side-quest (12 hours to reach the end) which makes sure that that will never be possible. Either you'll get the sword and miss the majority of the rest of the game (including cut-scenes) or you'll not get it and have an incomplete Steiner. They weren't even smart enough to duplicate the ability of the sword onto another easier to obtain weapon.

There are many, many other flaws but this one was unforgivable.

Excalibur 2 - Minus Strike & Climhazzard & Stock Break

Excalibur - Climhazzard
Ultima Sword - Stock Break
Iron Sword - Minus Strike

My Steiner certainly isn't "incomplete", and I've never gone for the Excalibur II.
And he still hits for 9999.

Fair enough i'll take your word for it regarding the abilities. But obviously if you can't get his best weapon Steiner will always be incomplete. It has nothing to do with 9999 damage.

Also i find it strange that a IX fan would never go for the sword. That's like accepting that it is a flawed quest. I at least tried.
---