so far, 3 of the 20+ costumes revealed so far.

#31MagnaderAlphaPosted 3/19/2013 11:49:19 AM
Just because Chaos is affecting the land doesn't give the artists a free pass into making the costumes look the most eye bleeding as possible. Hell, if Chaos is the "leeway", they could just go ahead and add on absolutely any and every bizarre idea because Chaos will allow it. Have people sprouting additional heads, growing horns, tails, mutating into giant, floating heads, or sentient sandwiches. Just because you COULD do it doesn't mean you should. Also, initially with artists, sometimes the idea you get seems good in that flash "lightbulb" moment, but then when you glance over your finished work... sometimes you realize it just doesn't click. "But, I thought, in concept, it would look cool. But who would've thought Lighting wearing a yellow rain jacket, mesh blouse underneath and a bra with sequence over it, school uniform skirt, long knee high striped "Tim Burton-esque" socks and jelly shoes just wouldn't look right?! I mean, who'da THUNK?!!".
#32mahroflcopterPosted 3/19/2013 1:18:14 PM
MalakTawus posted...

Than you should also understand that to express such a complex concept (that btw can't even be grasped very well by humans, like you said) they had obviously to use an expression very direct and simple (especially since it's not that the most players, especially the younger ones, would be able to understand a simbolism that's too hidden).

Using the contrast of different "styles" was probably one of the most direct ways that they came up to express their "message".

Also there are different types of simbolism: it can be difficult to see and understand if its purpose is to express an hidden message, but in this case the simbolism is not used like that, it's more used to "summarize" (or condense) something expressed very clearly in the world (the chaos corruption) in a single object (the dress).
It's obvious and perfectly normal to chose a very direct simbolism in this case, that's why imo the equilibrium dress is the result of that "chaotic and contrasting" merging that can be seen in the new world (especially in Luxt.).

Liking the dress or not is a completely different matter that depends on personal taste, i like it, you don't, that's fine.
.....but criticizing that dress "'cause it's a mix of different things put together" means understanding absolutely nothing about its "message".

Yes, there are many types of symbolism. The writers aren't doing very well with any of them in this case.

They've summarized "It stops aging; it stops the natural flow of time; it gives Caius super powers; it can kill if too much consumes you; it was at the very beginning of creation; and it deals with concepts that no one graps very well by nature" with "Lightning wears funny clothing". Sorry, that's just not good symbolism to me.

Chaos in this context is more than it's simple definition. In this case, it can almost be said to have a life of it's own. It does more than cause simple chaos: It can corrupt individuals; it can drive other individuals insane; it can create illusions so vast in scale each person could have their own reality; it can be used as a weapon; it can be used for creation; and it is a source of life and of death... it is all of these things and more. Lightning wearing an outfit that is just a bunch of things thrown together fails to convey any of this on all levels .

So yes, I can criticize the message that I'm still hoping that they didn't intend. To me, they failed miserably.
---
Currently going "squa squa squa!"
To the Devil May Cry franchise: http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ls0e5g1oWn1qjkv09o1_500.gif... at least for now.
#33Sir_Tom_JonesPosted 3/19/2013 1:19:48 PM
MagnaderAlpha posted...
mahroflcopter posted...
...So when everyone is paying attention, they decide to show off the worst costumes, and when everyone has given up, they'll show the best costumes? What kind of marketing plan is that?

Square's horrible at PR. They freakin announced Versus before it was even put into production(before it's story was even completed, for chrissakes!). Handling the costumes release like this seems about right on Square's behalf.

Its unreal how bad they are at it.
---
I like burgers sometimes.
#34darkphoenix181Posted 3/19/2013 2:03:42 PM
the mashup costume doesn't make me think of chaos, it just looks like bad fashion.
---
most nostalgic games: FF6-8, Legend of Legaia, Megaman Legends 1-2, Starcraft, Champions of Norrath 1-2. Official Motomu Toriyama of the Final Fantasy XV board.
#35gunbladeuserPosted 3/19/2013 2:05:04 PM
Give me a Cloud of Darkness costume. Even if it's DLC.
---
Official "Moguna" of the Dissidia 012: Duodecim boards
3ds FC: 2363 5862 4023 Nathan
#36zodiac_swordPosted 3/19/2013 2:11:21 PM
darkphoenix181 posted...
the mashup costume doesn't make me think of chaos, it just looks like bad fashion.

Your face is bad fashion.
---
What do you think it means when a girl leaves a fake mustache at your house?
#37Elice_CarolPosted 3/19/2013 2:38:01 PM
ITT: Just because chaos can stand for many things doesn't mean it can stand for bad fashion choices.

...I think it can. Imagine you're waking up after an extremely passionate night, to find that you're gonna be late for work. If you're a man, it's as easy as splashing on some cologne and heading out the door, but if you're a woman your mind is in a billion different places at once. In this world where Lightning doesn't have time to be carving out a tried and tested style for herself, who are we to judge her for dressing up as some khaki lesbian?
---
"When you meet your God, tell Him to LEAVE ME THE *(&)% ALONE.'' - Guts
http://s1136.photobucket.com/albums/n496/Elice_Carol/
#38darkphoenix181Posted 3/19/2013 2:41:14 PM
zodiac_sword posted...
darkphoenix181 posted...

my face is very beautiful actually. You would probably fall in love with me if you saw it.
---
most nostalgic games: FF6-8, Legend of Legaia, Megaman Legends 1-2, Starcraft, Champions of Norrath 1-2. Official Motomu Toriyama of the Final Fantasy XV board.
#39MalakTawusPosted 3/19/2013 3:35:12 PM
MagnaderAlpha posted...
Just because Chaos is affecting the land doesn't give the artists a free pass into making the costumes look the most eye bleeding as possible. Hell, if Chaos is the "leeway", they could just go ahead and add on absolutely any and every bizarre idea because Chaos will allow it. Have people sprouting additional heads, growing horns, tails, mutating into giant, floating heads, or sentient sandwiches. Just because you COULD do it doesn't mean you should. Also, initially with artists, sometimes the idea you get seems good in that flash "lightbulb" moment, but then when you glance over your finished work... sometimes you realize it just doesn't click. "But, I thought, in concept, it would look cool. But who would've thought Lighting wearing a yellow rain jacket, mesh blouse underneath and a bra with sequence over it, school uniform skirt, long knee high striped "Tim Burton-esque" socks and jelly shoes just wouldn't look right?! I mean, who'da THUNK?!!".

First of all there is NOTHING as strange as you stupidly suggested in your post.
Sure the equilibrium outfit may be a bit strange but not THAT strange, so stop blowing things out of proportions.

Second what in your opinion is "the most eye bleeding as possible" for others may be something that is cool (i'm one of them), so you are not the one that decides what gets a free pass or not, it's not your game.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@mahroflcopter

What the hell are you saying?
Lightning's costume doesn't have to be a complete rapresentation of chaos' essence, it can be simply something that refers and expresses it, underlining just a few traits,lol.

The few characteristics that i already mentioned that are expressed in the equilibrium dress are more than enough, it's not that her costume is chaos itself, it's just something that refers to it,lol.

All symbolisms works like that and the objection that you made seems to indicate that you don't undertand this very well.

For example,Light and darkness can be ,depending on the context, very easy or very complex concepts to express......but they can be expressed simply using white and black colours.
Do you think that those two colours express all the complexity behind the concepts????Of course not!
White and black are just a symbol, and indication, nothing more. They don't have to express all the characteristics of "light and darkness", they just need to refer to the concept.

It's more or less the same for equilibrium outfit: your objection is absolutely irrelevant 'cause that dress doesn't need to express chaos in all its essence, it just has to refer to the general concept........and since in that aspect the link is very clear it's impossible to deny (unless you are blind) that that costume is clearly connected with the chaotic corruption seen in Luxerion......in other words, it's a perfect symbolism.

Anyway it's pointless to go on, if you don't like it it's not my problem and sure as hell none of us will change opinion on the matter,luckily for you there will be lots of outfits in the game so you'll probably find some other one to like.
---
"Remember, you can make anything as idiot-proof as you want, they'll just build a better idiot...."
#40zodiac_swordPosted 3/19/2013 4:52:19 PM
darkphoenix181 posted...
zodiac_sword posted...
darkphoenix181 posted...

my face is very beautiful actually. You would probably fall in love with me if you saw it.

No I wouldn't
---
What do you think it means when a girl leaves a fake mustache at your house?