Kinda sad that we never got to explore Pulse

#1wwwgippal2Posted 3/19/2013 6:07:51 AM
People say that once you reach chapter 11 you get to explore things in XIII, but srsly. There's only ONE open area and the rest of Pulse consists of glorfied corridors just like the previous chapters. The difference is that some of those corridors were optional.

And then XIII-2 comes along and thanks to the whole time travel thing all we get are 8 (?) areas that aren't connected at all.

I sure hope Nova Cyrhysalia makes up for the lack of exploration in the series.
---
sry fur me bad enlish,im form usa
#2EnferolunosPosted 3/19/2013 6:11:15 AM
Don't worry, it will be terrible in it's own right either way
---
Currently awaiting: Pikmin 3, Lunar Knights 2, LM:DM, AC:NL, XY, X, WW HD, LoZ U, LR:FFXIII, FFVXIII
Skarmory would slap the hell outta you
#3dils-dPosted 3/19/2013 6:20:25 AM
The whole series consists of corridors, this is nothing new.
---
Final Fantasy XII - The story so far:
Dr. Cid is smashing and what the hell is Reddas wearing
#4Sir_Tom_JonesPosted 3/19/2013 6:25:18 AM
More like, we never got to explore Cocoon. But then again, the party were most wanted on Cocoon so there was no time to explore.
---
I like burgers sometimes.
#5MalakTawusPosted 3/19/2013 6:46:01 AM
Well, this new world is probably "built" on the corrupted (by chaos) Pulse, so in some way exploring this new world could be like exploring some of the old Pulse (infact i wouldbn't be surprised at all if some of those ruins seen in the desert are Pulse's ruins).

Also, to be fair even in FFXIII-2 some areas belonged to Pulse, even if in different time periods.

Tbh my only regret is not exploring very well Cocoon's natural park that it's mentioned in the novel (the one where Hopes goes on a trip with his classmates).........and Lightning's house too......
---
"Remember, you can make anything as idiot-proof as you want, they'll just build a better idiot...."
#6j-fielding95Posted 3/19/2013 6:53:09 AM
Sir_Tom_Jones posted...
More like, we never got to explore Cocoon. But then again, the party were most wanted on Cocoon so there was no time to explore.

We never got to explore anything.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_ONVOTwt0k#t=03m49s
#7mahroflcopterPosted 3/19/2013 7:34:14 AM(edited)
MalakTawus posted...
Well, this new world is probably "built" on the corrupted (by chaos) Pulse, so in some way exploring this new world could be like exploring some of the old Pulse (infact i wouldbn't be surprised at all if some of those ruins seen in the desert are Pulse's ruins).

Also, to be fair even in FFXIII-2 some areas belonged to Pulse, even if in different time periods.

Tbh my only regret is not exploring very well Cocoon's natural park that it's mentioned in the novel (the one where Hopes goes on a trip with his classmates).........and Lightning's house too......

Nova Partus isn't Pulse. Even if we get parts of Pulse, it won't change the fact that out of an entire vast planet... we visited 8 areas, with 7 of them being glorified hallways, before it was ripped apart.

In XIII-2 we visit the same damn places we visited in XIII. And the two places on Pulse that were new give us nothing since we never see how they connect with the rest of Pulse.

We used to have exploration options in earlier builds of XIII. It was actually surprising how many options we had. They took it all out last minute because, "We were afraid we were giving the player too much content to handle" and "We wanted to make Cocoon like a movie".
---
Currently going "squa squa squa!"
To the Devil May Cry franchise: http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ls0e5g1oWn1qjkv09o1_500.gif... at least for now.
#8MalakTawusPosted 3/19/2013 8:33:43 AM
mahroflcopter posted...
MalakTawus posted...

Nova Partus isn't Pulse. Even if we get parts of Pulse, it won't change the fact that out of an entire vast planet... we visited 8 areas, with 7 of them being glorified hallways, before it was ripped apart.

In XIII-2 we visit the same damn places we visited in XIII. And the two places on Pulse that were new give us nothing since we never see how they connect with the rest of Pulse.

We used to have exploration options in earlier builds of XIII. It was actually surprising how many options we had. They took it all out last minute because, "We were afraid we were giving the player too much content to handle" and "We wanted to make Cocoon like a movie".

I never said that Nova Partus (that btw is not called this way anymore) is pulse, i just said that it could be composed of corrupted parts of the old Pulse.

Anyway, Pulse was supposed to be huge (i mean, REALLY huge) so it's perfectly normal that we could explore only a few areas.

Areas in Final Fantasy XIII-2's Pulse, some of them with different version in different time periods too:

-a different part of the Steppe is shown, it has nothing in common with the Steppe seen in FFXIII.

-Academia is new

-Augusta tower is new

-Dying World is new

-New Bodhum is , well, new (LOL).

-Oerba in not new but very different

-Yaschas Massif is completely different

Anyway, if you put together ALL the areas from FFXIII and FFXIII-2 that belongs to Pulse, it's not exactly so little imo.
Sure, if there was more to explore i'd be more than happy, but it's not that FFXIII was a "little" game despite some areas were cancelled in the final cut (this happens in basically all the games,you know? Sure, it's possible to speculate that some of those cuts were done for the 360, but it's not that we'll ever have any confirmation about that so it's pointless to go on that path).

Final comment: just because Pulse was huge it doesn't mean that the story should take place in tons of areas, that's just silly.
There are tons of stories not only in videogames, but movies and books too that are focused only on certain areas where the story actually takes place (not a big surprise,lol).
It's like complaining that in the Odissea Ulisse visited only a few "locations" even if the world was a lot bigger than that, it's just pointless imo.
---
"Remember, you can make anything as idiot-proof as you want, they'll just build a better idiot...."
#9theofficefan99Posted 3/19/2013 9:12:15 AM
The only locations in Gran Pulse that could be considered a "glorified corridor" are Mah'habara and Sullya Springs and both of them combined take about 30 minutes to go through. Archylte Steppe, Yaschas Massif, the Titan's Trials areas, Paddra, Taejin's Tower and Oerba aren't linear in design.
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#10Dinah7Posted 3/19/2013 10:38:39 AM
theofficefan99 posted...
The only locations in Gran Pulse that could be considered a "glorified corridor" are Mah'habara and Sullya Springs and both of them combined take about 30 minutes to go through. Archylte Steppe, Yaschas Massif, the Titan's Trials areas, Paddra, Taejin's Tower and Oerba aren't linear in design.

Every place but Archylte Steepe that you mentioned are linear. Except maybe Yaschas Massif. Titan's trials design is literally a line/a bunch of lines......if thats not linear what is?