It's Toriyama fault the series abandoned FF7 world globes since FF10

#31kupo1705Posted 3/28/2013 2:01:38 AM
kirusu posted...
choobiator posted...
The old world maps made no sense. If the party keeps going north they end up in the south? Eh?

um. so have you ever viewed a universal globe?

That's not how spheres work.
#32Lindaru111Posted 3/28/2013 2:03:18 AM
inb4 NO TOWNZ
---
You don't need a reason to help people. - Zidane (FFIX)
#33MagnaderAlphaPosted 3/28/2013 7:51:25 AM
LuBu1975 posted...
numberrrr posted...
FF10 was the beginning of no world globes. So now the worlds less open, the airships are just point and click, and no sense of magnitude. Will LR have world globe? Type 0 has it.

Sense of magnitude, you're joking right? You flew around the world in a few seconds! If anything it made me feel the world was really tiny. In contrast the constant walking and taking boat rides made FFX's world seem massive.

Because, if you flew around in real-time, you'd b**** and whine about that. It's all symbolic travel. It's like markers on maps. You look at a map and see that New York City is a big dot, and states are all divided with line borders, you really don't think that's how it looks from the sky? Classic world map exploration is representation of real-world exploration through symbolic presentation. Everything shrinks down, steps equal miles, yadda yadda. I can't believe people still bark over this and how unrealistic it is. You do realize how utterly asinine it would be to opt for a realistic world scale in those old games? You do what you can do with what you have, and you try to get the most out of it and present as much variety within the world as you can with what you can. And that is a rule many developers should take note of now. Balance is key. If you spend more time on one aspect of a game and not enough on another, the experience feels lop-sided. People who are used to that won't know the difference, though. To them, it's the status quo, but that doesn't make it right.
#34JiggsMasterPosted 3/28/2013 8:16:04 AM
kupo1705 posted...
A world map makes the world feel very tiny.
There are only about 10 towns in the entire world each with about 20 NPCs.
This was especially stupid in FFVI where apparently millions died, yet the number of NPCs in the world barely changed.
I wouldn't be surprised if there were actually more NPCs in the second half than the first.

For once I fully agree with Kupo. What is going on!?
#35LuBu1975Posted 3/29/2013 8:47:43 AM
MagnaderAlpha posted...
LuBu1975 posted...
numberrrr posted...
FF10 was the beginning of no world globes. So now the worlds less open, the airships are just point and click, and no sense of magnitude. Will LR have world globe? Type 0 has it.

Sense of magnitude, you're joking right? You flew around the world in a few seconds! If anything it made me feel the world was really tiny. In contrast the constant walking and taking boat rides made FFX's world seem massive.

Because, if you flew around in real-time, you'd b**** and whine about that. It's all symbolic travel. It's like markers on maps. You look at a map and see that New York City is a big dot, and states are all divided with line borders, you really don't think that's how it looks from the sky? Classic world map exploration is representation of real-world exploration through symbolic presentation. Everything shrinks down, steps equal miles, yadda yadda. I can't believe people still bark over this and how unrealistic it is. You do realize how utterly asinine it would be to opt for a realistic world scale in those old games? You do what you can do with what you have, and you try to get the most out of it and present as much variety within the world as you can with what you can. And that is a rule many developers should take note of now. Balance is key. If you spend more time on one aspect of a game and not enough on another, the experience feels lop-sided. People who are used to that won't know the difference, though. To them, it's the status quo, but that doesn't make it right.

I get your point but it seems you don't get mine. He said a world map gave the game more 'magnitude'. I was just saying how it had the opposite effect to me. All that magnitude is lost once you get an airship.

Also there are other games with world maps that keep that sense of magnitude like Elder Scroll and DQ8.
---
Playing: AC3, FFXII.
Watching: Hokuto No Ken. Reading: ASoIaF, Silmarillion.
#36jelashPosted 3/29/2013 9:13:02 AM
I'm replaying Dragon Quest 8 at the moment (for the 6th time, I think) and really enjoy in world exploration. But, there's one thing I liked even more - breaking into other people houses and searching their closets and bookshelves.
Problem in FFX wasn't the lack of world map exploration. It was tents, actually. Every single house is a tent with one bed and a table.

My point - give us big world map, or don't give us. I really don't care. Just... don't give us repetative dungeons and small houses.

BTW, Tales games always had the best house interior.
---
''I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I enforce it.'' (Zapp Brannigan; Futurama)
#37dashslasherPosted 3/29/2013 10:05:39 AM
It's called world map, not world globe
---
I eat eggz for breakfast, lunch & dinner ~
#38Elice_CarolPosted 3/29/2013 10:12:27 AM
Huh, I looked up Toriyama's page on Wikipedia and there's no birthdate. Guy must be immortal, then. Other, than that, though...

"Toriyama has noted that seeing as making a main series Final Fantasy game takes several years, he would need to essentially fall in love at first sight with a character so he can really have the high morale and motivation to keep developing the game."

Well damn, I guess he does have a secret body pillow of Lightning for those all nighters at Square HQ.
---
"I don't like gays because they may mistreat straight people.'' - MewMewFan
http://s1136.photobucket.com/albums/n496/Elice_Carol/
#39drsw36Posted 3/29/2013 11:00:09 AM
Its always Toriyama's fault. Why don't we blame him for WWII while we're at it?
---
Proud owner of a : PC, PS3, XBOX360, PSP, DS, PS2, GC, Snes, WII.
http://www.youtube.com/user/drsw36
#40Elice_CarolPosted 3/29/2013 11:06:33 AM
Its always Toriyama's fault. Why don't we blame him for WWII while we're at it?

Toriyama's father bombed Pearl Harbor.
---
"I don't like gays because they may mistreat straight people.'' - MewMewFan
http://s1136.photobucket.com/albums/n496/Elice_Carol/