It's Toriyama fault the series abandoned FF7 world globes since FF10

#41jelashPosted 3/29/2013 11:29:31 PM
Elice_Carol posted...
Its always Toriyama's fault. Why don't we blame him for WWII while we're at it?

Toriyama's father bombed Pearl Harbor.

Nooo... it was actually someone from Nintendo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zfti6oOx19E
---
''I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I enforce it.'' (Zapp Brannigan; Futurama)
#42mad_hax_manPosted 3/30/2013 10:12:44 PM
xenosaga123 posted...

Actually FFXIII's world feels very tiny compared to FF1-9, 12 (not counting 11 only because as an mmorpg it's the most massive and immersive FF world ever. )

A FF can still have field areas without sacrificing the 3D world map system that FF7 established, FF8 perfected, and FF9 presented its own unique world through that system.

Also the interaction of the FF world map system, gave a better sense of travel and exploration. (especially with all the optional locations in FF7, FF8, etc.)

and further diversified the terrain more in the travels too. and more ways to traverse in the continents. people could use Tents, etc.

like FF7 for example, there was chocobo, airship, submarine, that plane thing.
FF8 had chocobos, that Garden vehicle, trains, cars, airship
FF1 had canoe, ship, airship.

You can point out many points of interest in FF7-FF9 maps than you can for FFXIII "maps".

And in FF7-FF9 map designs you actually had more well designed incentives to revisit locations without any tedious things like FFXIII-2 had.

Also the 3D world map actually gave designers more incentives to make the story and
scope of the journeys feel bigger and better.

First off, Kupo didn't say that every game world without a world map feels big. One of the biggest problems with XIII was that if followed XII, which gave us all the exploration of a world map but without breaking the immersion

Secondly, XII didn't have a world map.

Thirdly, Its entirely possible for a game to have different modes of transport without a World Map. Look at virtually every sandbox game.

Fourthy, increasing the scale of the story doesn't make it better. FFT is often considered to have the strongest story in the series, but in terms of scale, its only focused on a single country. If anything, uping the scale of a story usually gets in the way of things like characters, drama, and believability.
---
"Hey bridesmaid, love the beard! Give's me something to hang onto!!"- Lord Flasheart
#43QriistPosted 3/30/2013 10:54:50 PM
mad_hax_man posted...

Of course it did. You're walking on it.
#44Devilman_AmonPosted 3/30/2013 11:59:00 PM
I would imagine all future FF games on PS4 will be open world.

I doubt S-E wants to be upstaged by Kojima and his Fox Engine....
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#45RomangeloPosted 3/31/2013 12:28:20 AM
stop crying. we don't need a world map because we can have all the locations in full-scaled like FF12. the oldschool world map was made to connect all the locations together in the old games because they can't make everything in full-scaled locations and put them in CD-ROMs.

I bet if they remake FF7 and make the whole world in full-scaled like FF12 and allow you to walk around in the real maps like Midgarsolom swamp and the other places, you people will forget the old world map system in few seconds.
---
X > V > T > VI > XII > XIII-2 > VIII > VII > X-2 > TLR > XIII > IV > IX > II > III > I
#46mad_hax_manPosted 3/31/2013 3:41:46 PM
Qriist posted...
mad_hax_man posted...

Not in the sense of the World Map globes that are being discussed in this topic
---
"Hey bridesmaid, love the beard! Give's me something to hang onto!!"- Lord Flasheart
#47j-fielding95Posted 3/31/2013 3:48:06 PM
Qriist posted...
mad_hax_man posted...

Then every game in existence has a world map, except flying, swimming and driving games.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_ONVOTwt0k#t=03m49s
#48kupo1705Posted 3/31/2013 3:49:24 PM
j-fielding95 posted...
Qriist posted...
mad_hax_man posted...

Then every game in existence has a world map, except flying, swimming and driving games.

Puzzle games
#49j-fielding95Posted 3/31/2013 3:50:38 PM
kupo1705 posted...
j-fielding95 posted...
Qriist posted...
mad_hax_man posted...

Puzzle games

Some of them. In Catherine you walk on something, so that has a world map.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_ONVOTwt0k#t=03m49s