Do you welcome the new action element of the game?

#21deimos91Posted 4/2/2013 4:16:03 PM
Emiac posted...
AngryGFAQer posted...
Implying LR is the first FF to be an ARPG?

Oh, my...

To my knowledge all main FF games, apart from xii are purely turn based, hence the last option in the poll. Crappy spin-offs such as Crisis Core & Dirge of Cerberus do not count. Nor does the terrible SRPG Tactics.

tactics and crisis core ,bad now your opinions are a joke right to an opinion revoked
---
steam:fartman91/3DSFC:3265-5740-7951
#22TheHolySummonPosted 4/2/2013 6:39:41 PM
Personally, it confuses me. What's the difference between an 'action' game and a 'role playing' game, then? Sorry to sound daft, but I really get confused, because to me, there's really not much of a difference.
#23Le_DerpstickPosted 4/2/2013 6:47:25 PM
I think you had very ineffectual poll options.
You had to add text to every option that f***ed up the meaning, and made nothing an acceptable choice.

Yes, I welcome the action element very easily.
No, I don't think all RPGs need to be ARPGs, nor do I think this game has to be indicative of a change in direction for future titles' gameplay.
---
Mai waifu: http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3729/maiwaifu.png My furry waifu: http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/3756/pumyra2011tvseriess.jpg
#24Emiac(Topic Creator)Posted 4/6/2013 6:30:22 AM
TheHolySummon posted...
Personally, it confuses me. What's the difference between an 'action' game and a 'role playing' game, then? Sorry to sound daft, but I really get confused, because to me, there's really not much of a difference.

The topic is about Action Vs. Turn-based RPGs.
Western RPGs are clearly action based, thats probably why youre confused. You press a button, and your character uses a specific move in that instant.
Turn based RPGs are when you select commands from a menu/list. The CPU will automatically effect the move in its own time. These games are generally slow paced. Hope that answers your question.

And to the venomous post above, thanks for pointing out another option, thats what posts are for, Im sure everyone who voted understood the theme of this topic.
#25dils-dPosted 4/6/2013 6:42:15 AM
Recently started playing Crisis Core, and although it's a bit clunky, I am liking the gameplay so far. If we're lucky LR's will be a bit more dynamic than that.
---
People looking like teddy bears are ridiculously attractive
#26BlueDragmirePosted 4/6/2013 6:56:37 AM
FFXIII has always been ACTION over strategy. That's the whole point of the Paradigm Shift system, to put as much thought out of the player as possible in order to speed up the combat. Well, I'm sorry:

You can have strategy, but strategy requires thought, it requires time, it requires turns.

or

You can have action, but its best left uncomplicated and easy to use. Also, if its going to be an action game, I rather I be able to swing the sword and not some computer animation.

So FFXIII's system takes away much of the thought of picking an attack, but also the pure gaming fun that is actually playing the game with direct controls. Worst of all worlds. So more action can only help.
---
The official monarch of every single board.
http://bluehighwind.blogspot.com/
#27Emiac(Topic Creator)Posted 4/6/2013 10:01:13 AM
BlueDragmire posted...
FFXIII has always been ACTION over strategy. That's the whole point of the Paradigm Shift system, to put as much thought out of the player as possible in order to speed up the combat. Well, I'm sorry:

You can have strategy, but strategy requires thought, it requires time, it requires turns.

or

You can have action, but its best left uncomplicated and easy to use. Also, if its going to be an action game, I rather I be able to swing the sword and not some computer animation.

So FFXIII's system takes away much of the thought of picking an attack, but also the pure gaming fun that is actually playing the game with direct controls. Worst of all worlds. So more action can only help.

I completely disagree. Imo, FXIII took the turn based system to another level by making gameplay fast.
In previous games, the pace was much too leisurely and they player knew he'd ALWAYS win a battle easily, so called "strategy" often involved casting a spell the monster is weak to, attack, heal self, repeat. Animations for each charactr have to end before the next can start theirs, unlike XIII. Such stiffness creates no need for real strategy. The only time i ever died in an older FF game was in FF7 vs Ruby weapon, and that was because i was severely underlevelled.
The XIII games forced me to come up with an on-the-spot tactic for most boss fights, the most fun being the one i used against the 3 dragons in XIII-2s ending.
#28zodiac_swordPosted 4/6/2013 10:09:46 AM
Emiac posted...
I completely disagree. Imo, FXIII took the turn based system to another level by making gameplay fast.

Fast but not fun. Speed is not the end all be all of a battle system. The sacrifices FF13 made for a complete unnecessary level of quickness are unacceptable.
---
What do you think it means when a girl leaves a fake mustache at your house?
#29LolOkayPosted 4/6/2013 3:51:30 PM
BlueDragmire posted...

or

smh. I bet you spammed auto battle and used COM/SEN/MED through the whole game too.
#30ShinGundamPosted 4/6/2013 9:46:48 PM(edited)
Well, I welcome any significant feature over past entries that said as huge fan of classic ARPGs from Japan, i don't consider making an ARPG as crime, I think i will enjoy a big budget ARPG FF as much as turn based. So far, LR looks to me FFXIII on manual without automation and passive elements than an ARPG.

I am cool with ARPGs as long as they avoid loot and load of useless items like the one on MMO style games and Monster Hunter.