Square Enix Detail Where Their Losses Are Coming

#21hyro56Posted 4/8/2013 3:28:40 PM
j-fielding95 posted...
hyro56 posted...
Of course Jennifer has to derail a thread where actual sane discussion is taking place.

I'm not derailing anything, you want to talk, then talk. You informing everybody about me derailing a thread actually derails it more.

Claiming Versus is cancelled when it clearly isn't is obvious derailing. Not to mention Off-Topic.
---
"Lightning Returns is being made by delusional narcissistic auteurs."
#22kupo1705(Topic Creator)Posted 4/8/2013 3:33:56 PM
MysteryVeil posted...
Part of the problem is sort of casual gamers. I just look around me and I hear all this talk about games I would never even consider buying. And the more those games overrun the market the better chance there is the more 'hardcore gamer games' are going to get lost somewhere in the middle.

Back in the day gaming was really directed towards a different type of audience, and kids these days are growing up being saturated by all these crappy games and cell phone games and other useless stuff. Thus, the real gamer games are becoming more a thing of the past.

And unfortunately it's probably going to keep trending this way. :(

I'm not really sure if that's of any effect to console games.
The casual audience is an entirely new market. Them buying casual games doesn't really affect anything. For handheld games I can see damage being done, but that's not the problem here.

The real problem with games these days are three letters. AAA. Games with a huge budget that need to sell a huge amount to break even. If one game fails, you're screwed. Just look at all the publishers in trouble right now. Even EA is having financial issues. When the PS4/720 release this problem is going to get even bigger, until it all finally collapses. The only developers left will be smaller studios and developers who aren't entirely dependent on their latest blockbuster selling 10 million.

It's already happening. Indie games are more popular, and thanks to things like Kickstarter developers don't even need publishers anymore. They receive money to make games people want, not to make games publishers think will sell well. All they have to do is make a quality game and keep the trust of people and they're safe.
#23j-fielding95Posted 4/8/2013 3:35:54 PM
hyro56 posted...
j-fielding95 posted...
hyro56 posted...
Of course Jennifer has to derail a thread where actual sane discussion is taking place.

I'm not derailing anything, you want to talk, then talk. You informing everybody about me derailing a thread actually derails it more.

Claiming Versus is cancelled when it clearly isn't is obvious derailing. Not to mention Off-Topic.

No, I didn't claim it was cancelled, actually pay attention to the posts. No, it isn't off topic, actually read the first post.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_ONVOTwt0k#t=03m49s
#24MysteryVeilPosted 4/8/2013 3:44:06 PM
@Kupo:

Yeah, that's true as well. And you're right about it affecting more the handheld games. (Which is what I pay the most attention to as handheld gaming is really my forte.)

*sigh*

Call me oldschool, but I sure do miss the older days of gaming. :(
---
One year anniversary! MysteryVeil and eixeeee. October 27, 2012.
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/790525/Broken-Angel01
#25wafflepitarmPosted 4/8/2013 4:11:34 PM
I bet Jennifer will laugh when Versus is cancelled so he can say that the Lightning Saga was the best this gen because in reality, Versus will outsell Tori'd precious Lightning games in a nanosecond.
---
Why is it always the customers fault when no one buys a companys crappie games? - My username is a joke! Dont take it seriously please -
#26ArmPillowPosted 4/8/2013 4:44:32 PM
the problem with SE, is that they publish too many high budget games. its like every 2 months, they'll release a new AAA game. they're spending too much.
just stick to RPGs. that's what they're most known for.
#27wolf riderPosted 4/8/2013 9:23:12 PM
Sounds to me after SE failed to cater to western audiences they will now cater to Korean and Chinese audiences with derivative pay-2-win MMORPGs full of gold mining bots and Facebook games.

And I wonder how they extrapolate potential sales numbers from Metacritic scores?
---
When the Tomb Raider reboot was released, the entire gaming community suddenly decided having a well-written MC was the only important aspect in a video game.
#28fftspPosted 4/8/2013 9:41:01 PM
If XIV and LR fail, I can totally see them making FF a Japan exclusive franchise
---
This place reminds me that common sense isn't that common
#29kirusuPosted 4/8/2013 9:48:59 PM
MysteryVeil posted...
@Kupo:

Yeah, that's true as well. And you're right about it affecting more the handheld games. (Which is what I pay the most attention to as handheld gaming is really my forte.)

*sigh*

Call me oldschool, but I sure do miss the older days of gaming. :(

i miss it when all my games did not revolve around quick time events.
---
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3aacvZJeK1qb1m9to1_500.gif
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bu2O4_pacok
#30j-fielding95Posted 4/8/2013 10:48:55 PM
wafflepitarm posted...
I bet Jennifer will laugh when Versus is cancelled so he can say that the Lightning Saga was the best this gen because in reality, Versus will outsell Tori'd precious Lightning games in a nanosecond.

I don't give a damn what you bet.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_ONVOTwt0k#t=03m49s