For a rich production studio, they sure are miniscule with cast of characters.

#1xenosaga123Posted 4/9/2013 9:14:28 AM
Even smaller projects like FF Type 0 have more characters, more villains/antagonists,
and more fighting styles (more summons too).

How come FFXIII studio makes their cast of characters so few? especially on the
antagonists side. This could use a group of villains. Even FF7 had several villains
of various ranks.
but FFXIII seems only bent on 1 active villain at a time and overfloods the Boss
bestiary with just monsters. (and even ExDeath in FFV, although their elites were monsters, at least they were UNIQUE monsters that really stand out and not generic.
Ultimecia had super awesome special bosses too. )

Well maybe LR will expand upon this.

They could take some tips from Black Rock Shooter The Game too with its creative 9 Apostles.

1 villain carrying the antagonist side is rather boring and not really taking full advantage
of their creative department and resources. It also makes the storytelling shallow because the antagonist side is so one dimensional with just one main antagonist.
#2dils-dPosted 4/9/2013 9:17:04 AM
More characters does not equal better plot or game.

With more characters, the chance of the majority of them playing next to no role after their introduction increases substantially.
---
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1ygaoSj061r359ri.gif
Hrnfrgnrg so adorable
#3EnferolunosPosted 4/9/2013 9:27:38 AM
dils-d posted...

With more characters, the chance of the majority of them playing next to no role after their introduction increases substantially.

Yeah? So? Not all characters need major roles. More characters does not equal better plot or game, but the same is true for less characters. The way SE dealt with characters in XIII-2 was terrible.
---
Currently awaiting: Pikmin 3, Lunar Knights 2, LM:DM, AC:NL, XY, X, WW HD, LoZ U, LR:FFXIII, FFVXIII
Skarmory would slap the hell outta you
#4wolf riderPosted 4/9/2013 9:31:42 AM
To save time, lazy, poor writing, etc.

I always felt ripped off by KH2 and Organisation XIII. You fight less than half of them iirc.

I'm still waiting for an FF where every party member has an opposite number on the villain side like in One Piece.
---
When the Tomb Raider reboot was released, the entire gaming community suddenly decided having a well-written MC was the only important aspect in a video game.
#5EnferolunosPosted 4/9/2013 9:33:19 AM
wolf rider posted...

I always felt ripped off by KH2 and Organisation XIII. You fight less than half of them iirc.

I'm still waiting for an FF where every party member has an opposite number on the villain side like in One Piece.

Why do I get the feeling you skipped CoM?
---
Currently awaiting: Pikmin 3, Lunar Knights 2, LM:DM, AC:NL, XY, X, WW HD, LoZ U, LR:FFXIII, FFVXIII
Skarmory would slap the hell outta you
#6TheGreatPotatoPosted 4/9/2013 9:34:31 AM
Enferolunos posted...
wolf rider posted...

Why do I get the feeling you skipped CoM?

Because most people did.
---
Dresdenfall is amazing, if you know what I mean :) /wink wink
'I have far superior grasp of the English language then you do.' - hyro56
#7King_Shortt_IXPosted 4/9/2013 9:35:23 AM
Methinks SE needs to slash the budget for FF and force the developers to make more with less.
---
The contents of this post may not reflect the views of the poster.
#8dils-dPosted 4/9/2013 10:27:38 AM
King_Shortt_IX posted...
Methinks SE needs to slash the budget for FF and force the developers to make more with less.

That would take more time, costing more.
---
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1ygaoSj061r359ri.gif
Hrnfrgnrg so adorable
#9j-fielding95Posted 4/9/2013 10:29:48 AM
Enferolunos posted...
dils-d posted...

Yeah? So? Not all characters need major roles. More characters does not equal better plot or game, but the same is true for less characters. The way SE dealt with characters in XIII-2 was terrible.

XIII is criticised because Jihl plays a minor role.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_ONVOTwt0k#t=03m49s
#10xenosaga123(Topic Creator)Posted 4/9/2013 11:13:24 AM(edited)
FFXIII and XIII-2 also wasted Team Nora. It would have been better them coming along and becoming L'Cie (with their own summons too.)

and they would be better as XIII-2 party members instead of those generic monster pets.

If the FF7 team made FF13,
Gadot, Marquis, Yuj and Lebreau would all be permanent party members instead of being left behind. and Jihl would have been a boss with a larger role.