Do you think Final Fantasy games are anti religion? (SPOILERS for some FF game

#11TheGreatPotatoPosted 4/15/2013 1:46:09 PM
MagiusNecros posted...
TheGreatPotato posted...
Yes, they are. They also love their crystals. But it is a game, so it should not impact you.

Also, I doubt the people who play SMT even know what Gnosticism is, so I doubt they will be affected either.

Gnosticism is the dualistic belief that the material world should be shunned and the spiritual world should be embraced.

Mewmewfan would be proud of you.
---
Dresdenfall is amazing, if you know what I mean :) /wink wink
'I have far superior grasp of the English language then you do.' - hyro56
#12j-fielding95Posted 4/15/2013 1:50:05 PM
Oh boy, religion!
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_ONVOTwt0k#t=03m49s
#13TinyTim01Posted 4/15/2013 1:50:47 PM
There definitely anti-church, not religion itself. Just the idea of control through religion. Jesus himself hated the church so its not much different.
#14OpheliaAdenadePosted 4/15/2013 1:53:48 PM
They're just vidya games. I don't think they can be pro or anti anything. If anything, they're against corrupt religions. :u I hope the moral watchdogs aren't trying to say the FF series is trying to turn the impressionable churen into atheists.
---
http://bln.gs/b/24i7sw
#15Some_StaticPosted 4/15/2013 2:10:32 PM
I don't know that the stories are anti-church or anti-religion, but the concept of corruption in powerful institutions is a great motivator. Also, killing gods and the relationship between man and deities is a very common theme in all sorts of popular japanese media.
---
It's not a JRPG until you kill a god. http://somestatic.tumblr.com
Don't mess with Mrs. Chu; she'll put you in the soup.
#16TheTrinityPosted 4/15/2013 2:20:24 PM
Does it matter?
---
Il n'y a rien de nouveau sous le soleil.
#17TheTrinityPosted 4/15/2013 2:22:34 PM
TinyTim01 posted...
There definitely anti-church, not religion itself. Just the idea of control through religion. Jesus himself hated the church so its not much different.

Just to clarify, Jesus hated false religious people and hypocrites, as the "church" was only established after him. Much like the church of our day, sure, but not technically the same thing.
---
Il n'y a rien de nouveau sous le soleil.
#18darkphoenix181Posted 4/15/2013 2:39:17 PM
TinyTim01 posted...

wrong. Jesus told his disciples to follow the law of Moses. He also told them to listen to what the Pharisees say just not do what they do because the Pharisees sat in Moses seat and taught what was religously correct, they just didn't practice what they taught.

my reference is the bible
---
proud owner of Pikanips
#19Lelouch71Posted 4/15/2013 4:12:24 PM
Personally I don't really care. Video games are for fun. I'm a megaten fan and religious people are portrayed as self righteous tyrannical bastards in those games. Hell you actually get to fight and kill God in SMT2. The main titles along with Xenogears make FF look pg in comparison.
---
"Your arms are too short to box with God!"