How come we don't see the job classes around anymore?

#21AngryGFAQerPosted 4/28/2013 6:19:54 AM
Emiac posted...
Those games without jobs are simply superior due to freedom of customization. "Jobs"-like systems are just overrated, simplistic, outdated, and only loved by players of older games like I-IV and tactics.

No, just no.
---
"I was garbage, the writing transformed," - Raiden
I'm Batman. I don't enjoy anything.
#22zodiac_swordPosted 4/28/2013 6:47:54 AM
fftsp posted...
zodiac_sword posted...
new_tradition posted...
..? FFXIII did have job roles ala paradigms. They were just named differently along with some newer but limited options. Despite those things, it immediately reminded me of job classes.

roles =/= jobs

What exactly is different about them? No sarcasm, I'm genuinely asking

Role are basically the main functions needed in a battle. Jobs tend to have more than one of these functions, Stronger ties to stats and some are know for functions that are even included in FF13.
---
What do you think it means when a girl leaves a fake mustache at your house?
#23TrueBURPPosted 4/28/2013 10:58:06 AM
FFXIII roles are akin to jobs, only with fancier names. So insted of a White Mage you have a Medic, a Commando instead of a Warrior, etc. They're more fixed on combat roles than in background information or such (no "you work with the power of goodness in your heart to fuel your white magics" or stuff like that), but they do have a similar mechanics. Though the customization of each character is still kinda limited, as each one can only learn so much skills from each role...

Anyway, who can predict the future? The job system do come periodically in the FF franchise, so I see no reason not to think it will show up again eventually.
---
SCREAM POETRY...
#24kupo1705Posted 4/28/2013 11:14:56 AM
TrueBURP posted...
FFXIII roles are akin to jobs, only with fancier names. So insted of a White Mage you have a Medic, a Commando instead of a Warrior, etc. They're more fixed on combat roles than in background information or such (no "you work with the power of goodness in your heart to fuel your white magics" or stuff like that), but they do have a similar mechanics. Though the customization of each character is still kinda limited, as each one can only learn so much skills from each role...

Anyway, who can predict the future? The job system do come periodically in the FF franchise, so I see no reason not to think it will show up again eventually.

That's not true.
White mage happens to be a job with only one purpose, this is definitely not the case for all.
A paladin for example has 3 purposes. A DPS, tank and healer.
A Dragoon exists only to deal damage, but in a different way tank a warrior.
Jobs have roles, roles are just... roles.
So the roles from FFXIII are more like basic, one purpose versions of jobs.
#25fftspPosted 4/28/2013 11:37:17 AM
zodiac_sword posted...
fftsp posted...
zodiac_sword posted...
new_tradition posted...
..? FFXIII did have job roles ala paradigms. They were just named differently along with some newer but limited options. Despite those things, it immediately reminded me of job classes.

roles =/= jobs

What exactly is different about them? No sarcasm, I'm genuinely asking

Role are basically the main functions needed in a battle. Jobs tend to have more than one of these functions, Stronger ties to stats and some are know for functions that are even included in FF13.

So basically would you say FF13 roles are just summarised Jobs that have been condensed and fit into 6 different categories?
---
This place reminds me that common sense isn't that common
#26DragoonGriffithPosted 4/28/2013 12:14:34 PM
If Roles are akin to Jobs, then those are very lacking Jobs if you ask me.
---
DQ: VII > V > VI > VIII = IX > III > IV > I > II
#27TorgoForeverPosted 4/28/2013 12:15:22 PM
King_Shortt_IX posted...
Yeah, we need games in which everyone can do everything.

Then every character should wield an............... EVERYTHING NOTE!
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFoWvNqBsk0
"Well, according to Wikipedia which is always right" -MewMewFan
#28zodiac_swordPosted 4/28/2013 12:27:26 PM
fftsp posted...
So basically would you say FF13 roles are just summarised Jobs that have been condensed and fit into 6 different categories?

I would say that roles are skills skill sets based on 5 basic rpg functions (damaging, buffing, etc.) and a 6th one that's FF13 specific. Think of the job/role comparison from an IRL perspective, you have a job, and in that job you have more than one role or task to perform.
---
What do you think it means when a girl leaves a fake mustache at your house?
#29MalakTawusPosted 4/28/2013 12:30:31 PM
kupo1705 posted...
TrueBURP posted...

That's not true.
White mage happens to be a job with only one purpose, this is definitely not the case for all.
A paladin for example has 3 purposes. A DPS, tank and healer.
A Dragoon exists only to deal damage, but in a different way tank a warrior.
Jobs have roles, roles are just... roles.
So the roles from FFXIII are more like basic, one purpose versions of jobs.

I think that you underlined very well the core difference between roles and jobs.

............and following what you said i guess LR (judging from the few info that we know so far) will indeed have some sort of "job-system", even if it will be in a new version compared to more traditional sense with the traditional jobs (since it will be a job system with heavy costumizations).

....now that i think about it, it seems that even someone at SE called the system in LR some sort of job system, but it's possible that i remember wrong,lol.
---
"Remember, you can make anything as idiot-proof as you want, they'll just build a better idiot...."