Square Enix used to say they were going on the mainstream bandwagon

#1CranberryTacoPosted 5/2/2013 2:28:18 PM(edited)
Anyone recall how Square Enix said they would only produce mainstream games? That was the future philosophy when Yoichi Wada was still one of the board members of the company. I must say i am very sceptical. I've read comments from everywhere on the internet posting these opinions:

1). Now Yoichi Wada's gone, Square Enix will turn into its former glory
When he is not the only board member to determine what would be the best decisions in terms of directing their head directors and producers by creating a up to date Final Fantasy game with their signature elements.

2) . Lightning Returns... Just Lightning Returns
It looks alright in my opinion albeit it looks good so far. I really dont like the design of Lumina and the costumes so far. I guess we have to ''be patient'' tho the lines from the screenshots look like cheese as was the script in XIII-2.

3). Will the silence be broken in terms of Final Fantasy Versus XIII
I reckon everyone is impressed by the looks of the gameplay and so am i tho we haven't seen too much yet. The gameplay looks hypeworthy but Square Enix is always on a hype tip.

Any speculation on how the future of Square Enix will be?
---
Slick Musician /DJ/ [>R&B> NU Jack Swing >House>UK Music> Dubstep is where it went wrong
#2heartlesshero17Posted 5/2/2013 2:36:28 PM(edited)
They'll probably be alright. They said they'd bring back more famous series not long ago apparently so hopefully that means more console titles that aren't FF only.

Sure so far they only announced a drakengard sequel but I'm happy for any series to return really. More series means more variety of things to look forward too. That is much better imo. I think SE biggest problem was a lack of variety. SE has plenty of fans, but not all of them are FF fans.

So what if they weren't interested in the FFXIII series or mmo's? You don't give much options to your other fans except to look elsewhere
---
I'll eat a sock if VersusXIII is actually a mind blowing game.
-PainsPerception
#3OpheliaAdenadePosted 5/2/2013 2:35:03 PM
I'm sure they'll be fine. :o They pull in enough money from FF 11 to keep them afloat for years.
---
http://bln.gs/b/24i7sw
#4DragoonGriffithPosted 5/2/2013 2:35:45 PM
Drakengard 3 is one of my most anticipated games for the rest of the gen.

I liked the first Drakengard, though the gameplay was very bland and I did it mostly for the story and ****** up characters.

Currently replaying Nier too between other games, and that game is way better in my eyes now than I remembered it 2 years ago.
---
DQ: VII > V > VI > VIII = IX > III > IV > I > II
#5King_Shortt_IXPosted 5/2/2013 2:38:52 PM
Any speculation on how the future of Square Enix will be?

Not for long if they don't get their act together and reform from their evil ways.
---
The contents of this post may not reflect the views of the poster.
#6zodiac_swordPosted 5/2/2013 2:39:54 PM
OpheliaAdenade posted...
I'm sure they'll be fine. :o They pull in enough money from FF 11 to keep them afloat for years.

Really? FF11 is still pulling in that kind of money? That sounds like an overestimation to me.
---
What do you think it means when a girl leaves a fake mustache at your house?
#7heartlesshero17Posted 5/2/2013 2:42:59 PM(edited)
DragoonGriffith posted...
Drakengard 3 is one of my most anticipated games for the rest of the gen.

I liked the first Drakengard, though the gameplay was very bland and I did it mostly for the story and ****** up characters.

Currently replaying Nier too between other games, and that game is way better in my eyes now than I remembered it 2 years ago.

*high five*

Also looking forward to drakengard 3. Loved how odd the first one was, and the second had better gameplay. And nier is my favorite rpg this gen with one of the best gaming ost imo.

Drakengard 3 will be an ugly game and I expect the gameplay will be meh....and I'll love that **** anyways if it does the same things the original drakengard or nier did. Will buy the ost

Also I'm going for ending d in nier again really soon
---
-PainsPerception
#8kupo1705Posted 5/2/2013 2:44:27 PM
As long as they release more Deus Ex I'll be happy.
Maybe FF will get better soon, but we'll see.
#9DragoonGriffithPosted 5/2/2013 2:49:35 PM
Nier has the best JRPG OST of the gen, along with Xenoblade (it might even edge over Xenoblade, simply because of the consistent quality).

Also, it made me love vocal tracks.

Gameplay isn't as mediocre as my initial impression was. Characters are great and the interaction is both funny and sad at times (Weiss and Kaine especially).

BUT more than anything, what I appreciate the most about the game are some of the sub-plots in it. Sure there are just plain normal fetch quests, but others are sad and heartwarming. The overall plot too of course.

Honestly, the only thing I can complain about is the graphics and maybe more polish in combat, but I couldn't care less about how the game looks like.
---
DQ: VII > V > VI > VIII = IX > III > IV > I > II
#10heartlesshero17Posted 5/2/2013 2:58:00 PM
DragoonGriffith posted...
Nier has the best JRPG OST of the gen, along with Xenoblade (it might even edge over Xenoblade, simply because of the consistent quality).

Also, it made me love vocal tracks.

Gameplay isn't as mediocre as my initial impression was. Characters are great and the interaction is both funny and sad at times (Weiss and Kaine especially).

BUT more than anything, what I appreciate the most about the game are some of the sub-plots in it. Sure there are just plain normal fetch quests, but others are sad and heartwarming. The overall plot too of course.

Honestly, the only thing I can complain about is the graphics and maybe more polish in combat, but I couldn't care less about how the game looks like.

Personally I like nier ost more then xenoblade. Not that xenoblade ost is bad, its great. But Nier I loved more. Emi Evans has a gorgeous voice and made the ost perfect.

Gameplay is just okay. Sometimes just meh. Magic spells being awesome helped it not being completely bland. But there are times where combat is pretty damn badass (dlc in particular)

Graphics are not good. But Lucky for me, I don't care about graphics so it changes nothing for me. The story and characters are beyond memorable and the banter was the best part of the game.

But the sidequests SUCKED. The only reward really was some of them was story heavy and got some pretty hilarious dialogue for doing some of them. I did feel pretty satisfied with getting popola to sing though
---
-PainsPerception