When should I start upgrading weapons? (FF13)

#1KingandqueensPosted 5/2/2013 8:09:35 PM
When I watched my brother play, he didn't upgrade the weapons till he got to Gran Pulse.
Should I do it earlier than that?
I'm currently in Chapter 5, Gapra Whitewood.
(Any other weapon tips would be nice)
---
Want to body me in UMVC3? PSN: rad_russian
http://tinyurl.com/7ksbmk2 - http://tinyurl.com/buofm5m
#2Rodrigo996Posted 5/2/2013 8:17:20 PM
From the very start. The materials u get early are nothing compared to future ones, so they are only useful at the start. And a few levels on a weapon early game make a difference.
#3VanilleHopenPosted 5/2/2013 11:01:23 PM
i always wait till I get into gran pulse, personally, but that's because I'm lazy and want to wait until i have the money and supplies to max it to the next teir all in one go..
---
Hope misses Vanille's smile :(.
#4tiornysPosted 5/2/2013 11:24:20 PM
Early materials are better spent on upgrading accessories, primarily the Black Belts (and later Rune Bracelets) for great game-long defense, and the Power Wristband and Magician's Mark for movable stat upgrades that offer much better bang for your buck than weapons.

The point where you're starting to outgrow the Power Wristband and Magician's Mark--around chapters 7-9--is when I'd suggest investing in a weapon. And at that point, I'd only suggest upgrading Lightning's weapon, as she's unquestionably your strongest COM until the middle stages of chapter 11. Gladius has better immediate returns (because it enhances Blitz better), but Edged Carbine is a slightly superior long-term investment. You eventually want both of these weapons upgraded for Lightning.

Chapter 11 is a good time to start looking at other character's weapons. Generally considered the best investments: Vanille's Belladonna Wand, Hope's Hawkeye, and Fang's Taming Pole and possibly Pandoran Spear. Sazh and Snow have all kinds of options depending on how you use them, but they're also fine with level 1 weapons. Unless we're getting into advanced techniques, Sazh's strengths are his SYN and RAV abilities which largely don't care about stats. And Snow is best employed as a defensive SEN which really doesn't need stats. Unless you have extra resources, I'd stick with investing in the other four characters.
---
http://etrosgate.com/
#5King_Shortt_IXPosted 5/3/2013 10:25:59 AM
It really is not worth doing so until post game.
---
The contents of this post may not reflect the views of the poster.
#6tiornysPosted 5/3/2013 4:18:53 PM
King_Shortt_IX posted...
It really is not worth doing so until post game.

I find it interesting that you so casually contradict everyone else in the thread without offering any supporting evidence. In any case, I'm having difficulty conceiving of a reasonable viewpoint from which this advice makes sense. Are you unaware of the hundreds of thousands of gil just lying around in the game? Are you underestimating the impact that key upgrades can have on battle performance?

I can go a lot further towards refuting this, but I'm short of time at the moment. In the meantime, would you care to support or revise your advice here?
---
http://etrosgate.com/
#7LolOkayPosted 5/3/2013 6:08:17 PM(edited)
Casually upgrading weapons early on is fine, just don't get hung up on it (as in don't try to farm for money or materials, just use what you get on the way). Gran Pulse is probably the best time to really focus on upgrading weapons.

I started upgrading weapons early on. But I put a lot more emphasis on it when I was able to do Mission 7 on Gran Pulse, as the reward you get for beating it is 5 bomb cores, which are great for upgrading. (Bomb cores are the reward for repeating the mission, the first time you do it you won't get them).

Also, this mission is a great way to get 3 sprint shoes (you can look up how/why later) so it's 2 birds with 1 stone. He might be a bit hard at first but using the right strategy and you'll get used to it (I found Sazh as a SYN a life saver here because of haste).
#8OpheliaAdenadePosted 5/3/2013 6:28:44 PM
I'd do what another in this thread said and use the early materials to upgrade accessories. They're going to help you more in the long run than upgrading weapons you're likely to swap out for new ones anyway. :o
---
http://bln.gs/b/24i7sw
#9westontickleePosted 5/3/2013 6:31:15 PM
I do it gradually as I progress. On my first playthrough I only focused on characters I was gonna use, while characters I was forced to use I didn't fully neglect. For example, on my first playbrough I used Hope, Lightning and another character you get later so I focused on Lightning Hope and that haracter, though during parts where I was forced to use Sazh and Vanille, I upgradded them al little so I wasn't weak.
---
People who hate on Queen Jiggs are obvious trolls
Official king of the Persona 4 Golden and Pokemon X boards
#10westontickleePosted 5/3/2013 6:32:42 PM
tiornys posted...
Early materials are better spent on upgrading accessories, primarily the Black Belts (and later Rune Bracelets) for great game-long defense, and the Power Wristband and Magician's Mark for movable stat upgrades that offer much better bang for your buck than weapons.

The point where you're starting to outgrow the Power Wristband and Magician's Mark--around chapters 7-9--is when I'd suggest investing in a weapon. And at that point, I'd only suggest upgrading Lightning's weapon, as she's unquestionably your strongest COM until the middle stages of chapter 11. Gladius has better immediate returns (because it enhances Blitz better), but Edged Carbine is a slightly superior long-term investment. You eventually want both of these weapons upgraded for Lightning.

Chapter 11 is a good time to start looking at other character's weapons. Generally considered the best investments: Vanille's Belladonna Wand, Hope's Hawkeye, and Fang's Taming Pole and possibly Pandoran Spear. Sazh and Snow have all kinds of options depending on how you use them, but they're also fine with level 1 weapons. Unless we're getting into advanced techniques, Sazh's strengths are his SYN and RAV abilities which largely don't care about stats. And Snow is best employed as a defensive SEN which really doesn't need stats. Unless you have extra resources, I'd stick with investing in the other four characters.

This is really good advice. I might do this myself
---
People who hate on Queen Jiggs are obvious trolls
Official king of the Persona 4 Golden and Pokemon X boards