An idea that could have gotton rid of the Datalog in Final Fantasy XIII

#11ragnarokiusPosted 5/19/2013 2:58:11 AM(edited)
MalakTawus posted...
I really don't understand why for so many people the datalog was a problem.......no wait, i actually understand their point of view, it's just that i really don't feel the same, on the contrary i actually like reading the datalog.

Maybe it's just me, but it was always this way for me, even before FFXIII.

My favorite "datalogs" not-FFXIII-related would be the ones in Xenosaga, i loved them (and don't even try to say that they weren't necessary to understand the story 'cause that would be an huge fat lie..........well, of course not everything was necessary,lol)

Anyway, returning to the core of this topic, i don't think that using the excuse to "explain things to a character to actually explain things to the player" would have been a good idea for FFXIII since it would feel very unnatural 'cause tons of those infos may be new to the player but should be basic knowledge for the characters...........

.....better the datalog,at least for me :)

FFXIII didn't feel natural anyway, just going to get that out of the way.

I, too, loved and read everything in Xenosaga's datalog. It didn't encompass ALL of the exposition save for character emotion.
---
http://tinyurl.com/8pnek9m
#12King_Shortt_IXPosted 5/19/2013 3:43:18 AM
I don't have time to read a datalog that is hidden in a menu that is useless to me. I expect the basics and important details to be told while playing the game.
---
The contents of this post may not reflect the views of the poster.
#13TehAssasinPosted 5/19/2013 5:40:51 AM
MalakTawus posted...

Finally one last thing, i am NOT Mark, if you people really want to cut my username at least call me Malak,lol. (It's not just you DViper97, you have no idea how often happens,lol)

HI MARK
#14BardWannabePosted 5/19/2013 11:50:53 AM
I too enjoyed the datalog, and I think critics exaggerate in how necessary it is to following the story. The datalog strikes me as trying to incorporate some Western RPG elements into the gameplay--yes, I'm thinking of Mass Effect and Dragon Age. Alternatively, it could be seen as an expansion of the common FF feature of the "bestiary".

Moreover, having to explain all sorts of elements of the world to an ignorant character doesn't strike me as better storytelling; it's a trope used in the fantasy genre far too frequently. Why not let it be extra, optional information for those players curious about the setting and lore?
#15j-fielding95Posted 5/19/2013 11:59:19 AM
kupo1705 posted...
There could have NPCs that tell you things about the world.

Nah, thatīs stupid.

There already is.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_ONVOTwt0k#t=03m49s
#16_EggplantWizardPosted 5/20/2013 8:32:41 AM
King_Shortt_IX posted...
I don't have time to read a datalog that is hidden in a menu that is useless to me. I expect the basics and important details to be told while playing the game.

Hidden? You must not have used the crystarium or ever changed your paradigms as they were "hidden" on the same menu.
---
Currently playing Doom, Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Revelation, Final Fantasy IX, Secret of Mana, and Terraria.
#17RomangeloPosted 5/20/2013 9:22:46 AM
they replaced Lulu with datalogs, and people don't want to read. that's why people said the story sucks.
---
X > V > T > VI > XII > XIII-2 > Type-0 > VIII > VII > X-2 > TLR > XIII > IV > IX > II > III > I
#18gjvaquinoPosted 5/20/2013 9:31:08 AM(edited)
I greatly disagree. I think the use of the datalog was just a very sad attempt at fixing bad writing and bad story-telling in ff13 and 13-2. Older rpgs never had datalogs but they were able to tell a story just fine. It's not bad having some sort of in-game repository of information. Ni no kuni makes use of this with the Wizards Compendium and they did an awesome job utilizing it. When it becomes mandatory for you to actually read said in-game repository of information then there is something wrong with the writing and story telling. I have to go to the datalog to make sense of things while in contrast with the Wizards Compendium everything is optional but you read it anyways because of well detailed and explained they make it. Unlike the datalogs of 13, u barely have anything to go by. This is just my opinion. As one of the other posters have said. Some people actually prefer to be "shown" the information. Why would i even buy a game if i wanted to read the story. I'd go buy a book, its a lot cheaper. What's the purpose of the interactivity of a video game when it's not gonna be utilized and you are just expected to read it all off.
---
Sneer
Plunge into the chasms of time. - Jihl Nabaat
#19marcBookPosted 5/20/2013 9:36:55 AM
i think the datalog was great. it was optional to read it people.
---
man i am so badass
#20RomangeloPosted 5/20/2013 10:00:48 AM
marcBook posted...
i think the datalog was great. it was optional to read it people.

yes, it's a good optional info if XIII still has someone to explain things to us, like Lulu and Balthier did.

using the datalog as the main storytelling is stupid.
---
X > V > T > VI > XII > XIII-2 > Type-0 > VIII > VII > X-2 > TLR > XIII > IV > IX > II > III > I