Wanna know what really bothered me in XIII-2?

#31CatMutoPosted 6/28/2013 12:12:45 PM
Lacrymosa143 posted...
TrueBURP posted...
In the beggining of XIII I did try to use the manual input. But I soon saw that auto-battle saved a lot of time, and most of the time they would choose the abilities I wanted anyway. So I thought, why bother? I only began using the manual input again in the post-game, to use the unique abilities of the characters (Death, Army of One, etc), and every once in a while to skip the usual Synergist/Saboteur spell order.

I could have used the manual input more? Sure I could. But there could have been a little more effort in making us don't feel that we're not playing the game at all. Since battling is almost the only thing you've got to do outside of watching the cutscenes and all...

It doesn't save you time. auto battle doesn't use the optimal commands for the situation which costs you time.

Exactly.
I can understand using Auto Battle in Chapter 1 and 2, simply because you only have two actions to put into the battle. But even then, sometimes Snow's Hand Grenade is the better option to use, but Auto Battle chooses to pick the simple Attack function.

But once you have the roles unlocked, you need to watch out what you're doing. Not so much in Chapter 3 or 4 maybe, those are still pretty tutorial levels (actually majority of the game feels like a tutorial until the difficulty gets upped in Chapter 11) but you could get so much more fun out of using Manual Input in battles. I use only Manual Input in XIII and XIII-2 and I have a ton more fun fighting even the battles purely for the sake of post-game CP Grinding than I did using Auto Battle.
Plus, Auto Battle ain't gonna help much when it comes to fighting Long Guis.

C-A
---
9 out of 10 voices are telling me I'm sane
Voice number 10 is humming the Chocobo Theme
#32TrueBURP(Topic Creator)Posted 6/28/2013 12:23:02 PM
Well, it worked well enough for me. But ok, you've made your point about that, and since I didn't use the manual input to compare the results I'll give the benefit of the doubt.

But the point of XIII-2's poor monster balance still stands, anyway.
---
SCREAM POETRY...
#33CatMutoPosted 6/29/2013 1:48:11 AM
TrueBURP posted...

I never argued or said anything about that.
I found the entire Monster System concept to be... entertaining, but not for very long. People say that XIII was a very grindy game - which it wasn't, unless it was Post-Game for Mastering all Roles - but I felt that XIII-2 was the one with more grinding, simply because at times I had to grind for the Monster Components to level them up.

Overall, though, the monster thing was pretty easy. Only monsters I ever used in the game were Behemoth at first, Chichu and a Pulsework monster for SEN. And Cloudburst for RAV, recently. The rest of the monsters are pointless. And even the infusing made no sense, it was pointless, I was perfectly capable of finishing the game and DLC battles with my monsters uninfused.

C-A
---
#34Lacrymosa143Posted 6/29/2013 3:35:54 AM
CatMuto posted...
TrueBURP posted...

I never argued or said anything about that.
I found the entire Monster System concept to be... entertaining, but not for very long. People say that XIII was a very grindy game - which it wasn't, unless it was Post-Game for Mastering all Roles - but I felt that XIII-2 was the one with more grinding, simply because at times I had to grind for the Monster Components to level them up.

Overall, though, the monster thing was pretty easy. Only monsters I ever used in the game were Behemoth at first, Chichu and a Pulsework monster for SEN. And Cloudburst for RAV, recently. The rest of the monsters are pointless. And even the infusing made no sense, it was pointless, I was perfectly capable of finishing the game and DLC battles with my monsters uninfused.

C-A

The goblin chief was the next sen though. Since its special casted every buff you need except faith. You didn't need a syn. But yea. The monster thing was more tedious than needed.
#35CatMutoPosted 6/30/2013 2:47:07 AM
Lacrymosa143 posted...
The goblin chief was the next sen though. Since its special casted every buff you need except faith. You didn't need a syn. But yea. The monster thing was more tedious than needed.

I never used a SYN or a SAB monster. Noel and Sera filled those role out decently enough for me. And until recently, I never even used the Goblin Chief and I still managed to play the game just fine. The Monster thing was a neat idea, but not that good when implemented.
Not every game needs to become Pokémon.

C-A
---
#36LuBu1975Posted 6/30/2013 9:37:35 AM
It seems like most of the 'auto battle' naysayers don't seem to understand it's purpose. It was never there to 'play the game for you'. It's one and only purpose was to to save you time by selecting the commands you'd most likely choose anyway. It was necessary because the battles were in real time and by the time you input six commands the enemy would've done serious damage.

What these people don't seem to realize is that the game would've been far WORSE without it. The tedium of constantly inputting bunches of commands would've ruined the whole battle system probably forcing the need for a 'wait' option.
---
Playing: Dissidia 012, Suikoden 5.
Watching: Hokuto No Ken. Reading: The Bourne Identity.
#37Lacrymosa143Posted 6/30/2013 10:09:27 AM(edited)
CatMuto posted...
Lacrymosa143 posted...

I never used a SYN or a SAB monster. Noel and Sera filled those role out decently enough for me. And until recently, I never even used the Goblin Chief and I still managed to play the game just fine. The Monster thing was a neat idea, but not that good when implemented.
Not every game needs to become Pokémon.

C-A

Noel and Serah don't have any offensive buffs though. Goblin Chief casts bravery. And it's special recharges quick enough to recast it when needed. And it's more SMT than Pokemon.
#38CatMutoPosted 7/2/2013 2:36:13 AM
LuBu1975 posted...
It was necessary because the battles were in real time and by the time you input six commands the enemy would've done serious damage.

What these people don't seem to realize is that the game would've been far WORSE without it. The tedium of constantly inputting bunches of commands would've ruined the whole battle system probably forcing the need for a 'wait' option.

Uh.... Nope. I'm inputting commands manually since the beginning of my playthrough and no enemy has done serious damage to my party yet and I'm post-game.

And again, I'm using manual input throughout the game. Inputting those 5-6, depending on weapon, commands is not tedious or makes me feel in any way that I need to change the speed the battles go at.

Lacry, as for the offensive buffs... again, I never needed them.
I finished the game 100% multiple times and never used any offensive buffs. This game was made so asstastically easy that I could even finish 'hard' battles without any buffs.

C-A
---
#39tiornysPosted 7/2/2013 2:57:54 AM
LuBu1975 posted...
It seems like most of the 'auto battle' naysayers don't seem to understand it's purpose. It was never there to 'play the game for you'. It's one and only purpose was to to save you time by selecting the commands you'd most likely choose anyway. It was necessary because the battles were in real time and by the time you input six commands the enemy would've done serious damage.

Auto-battle's superior speed is only really relevant when you have a full ATB and no command sequence ready, such as when you preempt the enemy, or when you ATB refresh into a previously unused role (and even in these cases you don't always want to Auto-battle). Otherwise, the time it takes for the ATB gauge to fill up gives you sufficient time to enter a command sequence.

CatMuto posted...
Lacry, as for the offensive buffs... again, I never needed them.
I finished the game 100% multiple times and never used any offensive buffs. This game was made so asstastically easy that I could even finish 'hard' battles without any buffs.

C-A

FFXIII-2's buffs become a lot more relevant if you restrict your development or take on some of the tougher challenges at an early stage. They're still helpful when you're strong enough to overwhelm everything (in terms of speeding you up), but they're certainly not necessary at that point.
---
http://etrosgate.com/
#40KulthPosted 7/2/2013 4:18:28 AM
Even though you were auto-battling most of the time (which was one of the hardest things for me to swallow)

You know, I saw a lot of people complaining about Auto-battle in XIII, and then remark that XIII-2's battle system had improved greatly over XIII's.

I got to thinking about it, so I double checked. I loaded up XIII, got into a fight, and sure enough. The auto-battle option was there.

So, I quit out, and loaded up XIII-2. People kept saying the battle system had improved and the biggest complaint with XIII was the auto-battle, right?

So, I loaded up XIII-2, got into a fight, and.... what the... Auto-battle is still here?!

TL:DR:

Why is everyone so upset over the feature of Auto-battle in XIII but could care less about it being in XIII-2? It's an option.

It's similar to getting upset that a mall has stairs... and an escalator... and calling everyone who uses the escalator lazy, or complaining to management that they're insulting you by offering you the escalator to use, instead of letting you use your own legs and climb the stairs in your own unique fashion. (Two steps at a time, or one step crawls.)
---
PSN: spc_warnack