What is your opinion of Lightning personality-wise?

#41minime_senPosted 6/28/2013 10:12:08 AM
sicko26us posted...
Where is this information hidden?

Scattered all over the two games, the database, RotG, plus some knowledge on FNC, and common sense. The hints were very subtle, and I've seen people drawing the wrong conclusions regarding the ending and characters' motivations because they missed a lot of the vague, subtle hints presented in the games...and you were one of them. Still, it wasn't your fault. But now that you understand, I hope it stays that way.

sicko26us posted...

Well I did like your explanation, but if you are going to be a jerk about it.

Please pardon my tone, the general rudeness on this forum was rubbing off on me.
---
"Do I look like a frolicker?"
~ Mrs. Patmore <3
#42minime_senPosted 6/28/2013 10:32:12 AM
Blaze21 posted...
Teeleaf57 posted...
Not really most didn't care for Snow initial characterization and just found his constant "HERO" "SERAH" stick grating, him finally getting some fashion sense, a cool ice-ax and some character development are all good signs.
And while Lightning might not be the most universally agreed on character she gained a lot fans who did like how she originally was and are disappointed that her new outlook on life that makes no sense.

With Snow it understandable Serah died he's grieving, but with Lightning it complete 180
She arguably more then anyone else in FF13 was against the idea of letting higher being determining people fate "I'm no one slave" "I decide my own fate" and now she committed her entire being to carrying out ones will.
She use to be forward and too the point, now half the time she sounds like a tv self-help guru.
And most tragically she lost all her wonderful snark and witty put-downs

Perhaps I need to play through both games again to truly get what you mean. You're saying there is absolutely no reason behind Lightning's development/change? You're saying that being near a god and being transported to a foreign place you never knew existed won't change a person and their outlook? As of right now, I'll have to disagree. My understanding of Lightning is that she was angry and kept her feelings to herself. The second game, after saving Serah and the world and throughout her journey in 13, in 13-2 she opens up more, and isn't as cold/harsh. As for carrying out another person's will, didn't she have the chance to get to know said god? Didn't she relate to her? I think her characterization is justified, but perhaps playing through them both again back to back will change my mind.

As for Snow, how much of his personality change is due to Serah's death, and how much is due to chaos? I really don't know. Also, pardon me for being tired of the pretty cliche story of "oh, someone I care about dies so now let me hate the world and become doom and gloom". Perhaps you can look at it as character development, but when I've seen it tons of times already it sort of looses it's charm. To me, his characterization or development/growth is in your face, but I feel there is more depth to Light's change. But since it's not as 'in your face' as Snow's, she's ruled off as becoming a different person for no reason.

I agree with Blaze. And @ the bold parts, don't go and judge something you don't understand. And if you think Lightning is all about wonderful snark, witty put-downs and NOT carrying out one's will when she sympathized with them, you've sadly missed more than half her characterization from the first game. Lightning isn't WYSIWYG type like Sazh and Fang, you've got to look deeper to understand her. As it is now, you've only scratched the surface of who she truly is.
---
"Do I look like a frolicker?"
~ Mrs. Patmore <3
#43j-fielding95Posted 6/28/2013 10:34:44 AM
roxas9001 posted...
Funfact: Choosing to help someone in order to protect the people you love does not make you a slave.

But the ignorant people here won't understand that.

It makes you a coward apparently.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_ONVOTwt0k#t=03m49s
#44TheHolySummonPosted 6/28/2013 11:59:57 AM
Ali Hillis, and how she treats her fans and is a kind person (seemingly) in general, is what really brings me appreciation for Lightning. Gods, I am so happy that I have had the chance to online-befriend her. Through her, I can appreciate and understand why Lightning changed from reserved, but feeling character in XIII to more monotone and out-of-it (for lack of better term) character in XIII-2, and what I've seen in Lightning Returns' trailers.

In game, I feel Lightning leaves little to really appreciate. We're just not given much of anything that I found attractive, which I understand she was supposed to be not so much about. There are times that I liked what she said, but... as a character, she was pretty vague.

And anyone who's read my posts know that I favor the fal'Cie more. :P While I understand why he was doing it, I would not wish to die or lose my family and friends, or see innocent people die because of Barthandelus' plan(s). I find it sad that the fal'Cie of Cocoon died; and, that Barthandelus had no outlet save for ending a life he obviously did not wish to continue - ever.

Lightning without Ali's insight or the insight of the creators (when we're privileged to know anything! Thank you translators! No thank you SE!) is just not a character I feel enough for to like.
#45sicko26usPosted 6/28/2013 3:46:05 PM
minime_sen posted...
sicko26us posted...

Scattered all over the two games, the database, RotG, plus some knowledge on FNC, and common sense. The hints were very subtle, and I've seen people drawing the wrong conclusions regarding the ending and characters' motivations because they missed a lot of the vague, subtle hints presented in the games...and you were one of them. Still, it wasn't your fault. But now that you understand, I hope it stays that way.

That is the problem wit this series (I obviously blame Toriyama), I should not have to search the globe (learn Japanese, and buy DLC) to figure out the ending of a $60 game.

Not directed at you:

People on here defend Lightening like she is a family member, she is a fictional character who only acts the way she is written. It would only have taken a simple change to make her into a hero, the fact that she froze herself is cowardly (despite the excellent explanation). Simply having her frozen by someone else against her will would have solved 80% of my problems.
---
Motomu Toriyama is the worst writer in the history of video games, if you agree add this quote.
#46Hello4438Posted 6/28/2013 4:17:46 PM
sicko26us posted...
minime_sen posted...
sicko26us posted...

That is the problem wit this series (I obviously blame Toriyama), I should not have to search the globe (learn Japanese, and buy DLC) to figure out the ending of a $60 game.

Not directed at you:

People on here defend Lightening like she is a family member, she is a fictional character who only acts the way she is written. It would only have taken a simple change to make her into a hero, the fact that she froze herself is cowardly (despite the excellent explanation). Simply having her frozen by someone else against her will would have solved 80% of my problems.

It's not cowardly at all. And you know it because now you are falling back on the waifu nonsense to help your argument.
#47sicko26usPosted 6/28/2013 4:30:30 PM
Hello4438 posted...
sicko26us posted...
minime_sen posted...
sicko26us posted...

Not directed at you:

It's not cowardly at all. And you know it because now you are falling back on the waifu nonsense to help your argument.

Did you even read my post?

Because this is what I was talking about
---
Motomu Toriyama is the worst writer in the history of video games, if you agree add this quote.
#48Hello4438Posted 6/28/2013 5:06:20 PM
If she didn't do what she did the world is done and you label her an idiot. She makes a decision to turn herself to stone which isn't a desirable fate and you call her a coward. Got it.
#49TwilightOdinPosted 6/28/2013 5:38:57 PM
I like Lightning.

But, frankly, she would've been handled alot better by a writer better than Toriyama. And, yes, there are ALOT better than T.
---
If Lightning will fall for someone in LR, it's Hope. I said it first.
Oh, and LR's Main theme is going to be titled 'Prayer'. I. Said it. First.
#50sicko26usPosted 6/28/2013 7:54:07 PM
Hello4438 posted...
If she didn't do what she did the world is done and you label her an idiot. She makes a decision to turn herself to stone which isn't a desirable fate and you call her a coward. Got it.

You still didn't read it.

SHE WAS WRITTEN POORLY IN 13-2
---