Did the XIII series change you in any way?

#31TwilightOdin(Topic Creator)Posted 6/26/2013 6:01:52 AM
Yamato_san posted...
wait, wait, wait.... V? As in 5? As in Final Fantasy V? You're saying you've played at least one of the SNES titles prior, and THIS is the game that gets you to start caring about immersion? Well, different strokes I guess. Personally, I've been hooked ever since VI (which was my first game in the series, minus some brief emulation of the first game at a friend's house), but the series hasn't really been all that appealing to me since X.

Though to be fair, I only got a PS3 last year and have yet to actually try out this game, albeit none of the stuff I've been hearing leaves me to believe that this is anything but the same old graphic-whoring bullcrap from the previous generation, if not even worse somehow. Doesn't help that I've never been all that big a fan of the Nomura-designed games (consider me part of the "VII is over-rated" crowd... I mean it's a good game, don't get me wrong, but it's got nothing on most of the 2D iterations, and it sickens me how many of the newbies who got into the series through that entry went and panned IX when it came out). The unnecessary sequels aren't doing it any favors either (I would be willing to say it's at least not as out of hand as the VII Compilation just yet, but at least that was half-way justified given that VII was nowhere near as widely criticized). That said, I can't say the XIII series had a particularly huge effect on my life, aside from making me lose all faith in Square ever returning to their pre-merger quality, but like I said, the previous generation already depleted said faith plenty enough, so I can't say much has changed in the end.

Yes, V/5/FF5. I think a bought it 5 years ago, ironically. But i wasn't very good at English in that time, since I'm not native, hence why I didn't care about the story.

I would REALLY like to buy me a copy of FFVI, IV, and all the other FFs re-released on the GBA.

FFVI looks alot like my cup of joe.
---
If Lightning will fall for someone in LR, it's Hope. I said it first.
Oh, and LR's Main theme is going to be titled 'Prayer'. I. Said it. First.
#32itis41269Posted 6/26/2013 6:47:33 AM
That game was the turning point when i started to become less of a video game freak...

ever since then ive slowly played less video games ..... hell its been 2 weeks since ive sat down and actually played for more than an hour and that was on a handheld while at work
---
Nintendo puts the F between the Wii and the U......
I've secretly always wanted to ride in a Kangaroo pouch
#33mr369248Posted 6/26/2013 2:49:39 PM
It made it more clear that the series can suck... really bad sometimes.
#34MysteryVeilPosted 6/26/2013 3:16:55 PM
No. Having cancer when I was eighteen changed my life, sure.

But Final Fantasy XIII? No, it did not.
---
Attempting to Platinum Disgaea 3...91% to goal.
One year anniversary! MysteryVeil and eixeeee. October 27, 2012.
#35Yamato_sanPosted 6/26/2013 6:50:57 PM
TwilightOdin posted...
Yes, V/5/FF5. I think a bought it 5 years ago, ironically. But i wasn't very good at English in that time, since I'm not native, hence why I didn't care about the story.

I would REALLY like to buy me a copy of FFVI, IV, and all the other FFs re-released on the GBA.

FFVI looks alot like my cup of joe.

yes, definitely get VI. You don't even need to look for the GBA re-port; you can get all these games on the Wii Virtual Console or the PSone Classics.

MysteryVeil posted...
No. Having cancer when I was eighteen changed my life, sure.

But Final Fantasy XIII? No, it did not.

ouch. Sorry to hear about that.... if you don't mind me asking, was it the removable kind, or is it still lingering?
#36MysteryVeilPosted 6/26/2013 7:29:43 PM(edited)
Hodgkin's Lymphoma.

All cure, and hopefully stays that way. Will be ten years cancer free this September. :)
---
Disgaea 3 Platinum...100% to goal!
One year anniversary! MysteryVeil and eixeeee. October 27, 2012.
#37Nerfed_MePosted 6/26/2013 7:33:28 PM
I would say XIII changed me a little.

I was really stoned when I beat that game, near the end of the game it was really freaking me out cause it seemed like a lot of things were going wrong and the sword looking form of orphan kind of scared me.

I never freaked out on weed before playing a game so that's how it changed me.
---
Linkin Park may be the best band that debuted in 2000 but I still love Coldplay!
#38Moeman_Posted 6/26/2013 7:51:09 PM
It made me a better tactician in battles during JRPGs. Before I played FFXIII, I'd just spam the same moves over and over until everything died, use the strongest healing spell if anyone needed HP restored, and generally just assed my way through the game. Now, I look to see if various spells or skills have effects on enemies.
---
"Be confident, think positive!"
#39TwilightOdin(Topic Creator)Posted 6/26/2013 8:14:33 PM
@Nerfed: lol, are you for real? XD
Go play Demon's Souls, then compare both.

@Moeman: That extra layer of stretegy is what got me hooked to XIII. As for XIII-2, except for DLC fights, that was thrown out the window... :/
---
If Lightning will fall for someone in LR, it's Hope. I said it first.
Oh, and LR's Main theme is going to be titled 'Prayer'. I. Said it. First.
#40ZendosKenPosted 6/26/2013 11:15:50 PM
lol. FF13 isn't that bad IMO but it definitely wasn't good. To date, I think the best FF with story I cared for is probably FFIX, anything after that, probably just amazed by the graphics and game systems only. If you think FF13 can affect you, try Last of Us. THAT GAME IS AMAZING.

Anyways, didn't square already say that they won't be expanding the FF series? Read it sometime back in Kotaku.