After replaying XIII for the 4th time,

#1TwilightOdinPosted 7/10/2013 10:07:04 AM
I started feeling that this game is very, very linear. It impacts gameplay in a negative way, but on the plus side, I find that it really helped the story.

In XIII-2, the story wasn't affected, mainly because there was almost no story at all.

In LR, the developers seem to be pursuing the open ended structure that games like Dark Souls have, but if not done correctly, it may heavily impact the story in a very negative way.

---

You all may be asking yourselves "What is TC blabbering about?", I started this topic because I can, and this is the only place that I can talk about stuff like this in.

Discuss.
---
My dreams of seeing HopuRai come true have shattered like crystal...
LR's Main theme is going to be titled 'Prayer'. I. Said it. First.
#2LightningPoohPosted 7/10/2013 10:11:36 AM
It was really linear, however I didn't really care much after the first chapter. I felt like it gave a sense of urgency to push on through the game. It was pretty boring when I first played the first chapter though. Then I started liking Lightning's sexiness.

I still remember the day I bought it lol. September 4th 2010.
---
Some people just think they're so damn great. Catch, I threw you some shade!
~ Lightning's No.1 fan, and idc what anybody has to say <3 ~
#3King_Shortt_IXPosted 7/10/2013 10:15:24 AM(edited)
Linear versus non linear in terms of the structure for the story. Personally I think non linear gameplay and a simple story will do just nicely to wrap things up.
---
The contents of this post may not reflect the views of the poster.
#4TwilightOdin(Topic Creator)Posted 7/10/2013 10:14:43 AM
LightningPooh posted...
It was really linear, however I didn't really care much after the first chapter. I felt like it gave a sense of urgency to push on through the game. It was pretty boring when I first played the first chapter though. Then I started liking Lightning's sexiness.

I still remember the day I bought it lol. September 4th 2010.

I don't mind linearity at all if the story is worth it, and boy if it isn't worth it in XIII...

When I first bought the game, I didn't know I'll love it this much. I don't remember when I bought it! *Sobs*
---
#5LightningPoohPosted 7/10/2013 10:16:01 AM
King_Shortt_IX posted...
Linear versus non linear in terms of the structure for the story. Personally I think non linearity gameplay and a simple story will do just nicely to wrap things up.

Well the story can't be that hard to understand considering what we've heard so far.
---
Some people just think they're so damn great. Catch, I threw you some shade!
~ Lightning's No.1 fan, and idc what anybody has to say <3 ~
#6j-fielding95Posted 7/10/2013 10:16:01 AM
I think I rented it in about February of 2011 because I had no idea what it would be like, loved it, then XIII-2 trailer had just released and that hyped me even more. But yeah, I would have preferred the game to be more open than it was, and chapter 1-3 has gotten to the point where it's a chore to play through since I've completed it so many times.
---
The Lightning of the next generation: http://squareportal.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/ffxvmysterywoman-copy.png
#7TwilightOdin(Topic Creator)Posted 7/10/2013 10:16:49 AM
King_Shortt_IX posted...
Linear versus non linear in terms of the structure for the story. Personally I think non linearity gameplay and a simple story will do just nicely to wrap things up.

As long as one of them is done well, I do not mind the other being medicore, so I agree with you.
---
#8King_Shortt_IXPosted 7/10/2013 10:19:40 AM(edited)
They should have had a NG+ in XIII while also giving you the option to skip to the point went the game opens up. That would have helped the replay factor a little bit. Oh well.
#9TwilightOdin(Topic Creator)Posted 7/10/2013 10:19:52 AM
@J: I still think XIII is better than XIII-2, though.
---
#10TwilightOdin(Topic Creator)Posted 7/10/2013 10:21:21 AM
King_Shortt_IX posted...
They should have had a NG+ in XIII while also giving you the option to skip to the point went the game opens up. That would have helped the replay factor a little bit. Oh well.

I was just thinking about this yesterday! Great minds think alike! :3
---