After replaying XIII for the 4th time,

#31Payback85Posted 7/10/2013 4:53:27 PM
laskal posted...
Replaying FFX right now. And I can't believe I am defending 13, but why is it called a hallway, when ffx gets a free pass? OMG, it's just as much of a corridor.

I dislike both games. And linearity is only one of the many reasons why.
#32Elice_CarolPosted 7/10/2013 4:55:31 PM
It makes sense that it's linear, if you went to some town while on the run from the authorities things are bound to end badly, as seen in Chapter VII. When you're on Gran Pulse, the military isn't bugging you at all, so you're free to go where you please.

Thing is.....while it's perfectly logical, that doesn't mean that I have to like it. It serves the story positively, but the adventurer in me loves exploration and finding new stuff. Even on Pulse, you couldn't really do that unless you did a bajillion hunts, and by then doing one after the other is very straightforward. I guess playing XII has influenced my opinion.
---
"The only thing that gets me high is the musky scent of my enemy's fear.'' - Stephen Colbert
http://s1136.photobucket.com/user/Elice_Carol/library/
#33destrian522Posted 7/10/2013 5:23:39 PM(edited)
Neither of those arguments make sense. If there were a sense of urgency, then why did nothing happen? They just wandered in a straight line. Also, you don't need towns to be nonlinear.
---
Etro's Gate---The gameplay nexus for Fabula Nova Crystallis Final Fantasy
http://etrosgate.com/
#34TwilightOdin(Topic Creator)Posted 7/10/2013 7:38:04 PM
Elice_Carol posted...
It makes sense that it's linear, if you went to some town while on the run from the authorities things are bound to end badly, as seen in Chapter VII. When you're on Gran Pulse, the military isn't bugging you at all, so you're free to go where you please.

Thing is.....while it's perfectly logical, that doesn't mean that I have to like it. It serves the story positively, but the adventurer in me loves exploration and finding new stuff. Even on Pulse, you couldn't really do that unless you did a bajillion hunts, and by then doing one after the other is very straightforward. I guess playing XII has influenced my opinion.

Go play FFXI--
Oh, you already did that...

But seriously, I don't mind the linearity at all, because the story is sO AWESOME!
---
My dreams of seeing HopuRai come true have shattered like crystal...
LR's Main theme is going to be titled 'Prayer'. I. Said it. First.
#35KaspaUFgatorPosted 7/11/2013 4:47:07 AM
The first 8-9 hrs you have level caps per chapter and one way to go really.....
---
Gators, Yankees, Jets, and Knicks!!
#36maxxxximumPosted 7/11/2013 5:52:11 AM
I prefer more open linearity. Like the older FF games. You pretty much had to go to a specific place to continue the story, but there was always a bunch of stuff to explore along the way. Dungeons to completely loot, towns to explore, sidequests to do, etc. XIII was just a straight shot to Gran Pulse. The story kinda required that, but it still suffered for it.
---
Stop your ignorance of Final Fantasy XI's awesome story. See it here.
http://ffxicutscenes.blogspot.com/
#37King_Shortt_IXPosted 7/11/2013 6:22:37 AM(edited)
I know it sounds crazy, but how about a balance between plot and free open world roaming? Seems like the last few FF games have been on the extreme side of things.
---
The contents of this post may not reflect the views of the poster.
#38zerodivide85Posted 7/11/2013 6:36:57 AM
I like XIII and I appreciate all the esoteric concepts in the game. But I do think the story could have been executed better. IMO, it shouldn’t have started off where it did. It should have started off with the 13 days prior when Fang and Vanille woke up. During that time you should have gotten more exposure to Cocoon life (with the ability to travel with limits of course) before you all became L’cie. We could have briefly played as Fang and Vanille from the start. We could have dealt with random everyday things as Team Nora or Lightning's life as a soldier. They could have used this time to familiarize players with the battle system and the different characters all while seeing the Sanctum plot their control driven ways against all l’cie with their purge politics. That would have gave a lot more depth to the antagonists. Characters like Jihl almost felt like cameos.

If we experienced pre-purge Cocoon life instead of just hearing the story talk about it or seeing it through flashbacks, the impact of “oh sh!t everything’s falling apart and we gotta stop it and save Cocoon somehow” would have been a lot higher. That and it would allowed them to reduce a lot of the filler from chapter 3 to 9 and develop the characters backgrounds better and more naturally as well imo. I know I would have felt far more connected to the world in general if they did something like that. Post chapter 9 could have been mostly as it was. Though when you got to Eden you should have been able to revisit ground level Cocoon.

I think doing something like that would have reduce the “feel” of linearity. The linear parts would have seemed more relevant and thus less noticeable. It would also brought more balance. If the characters had abilities outside of magical L’cie paradigm powers that was specialized to that character - that would have been even better. We could have worked on those before turning L’cie. Turning L’cie would have also been more like “holy sh!t, look at all these new abilities.” It would have simultaneously added a feel of freedom and choice and more depth to the idea that L'cie are very powerful.
#39e4joshPosted 7/11/2013 6:52:20 AM
I can't really see anymore rpg games being linear anymore, unless a very complex storyline is within the game, I really didn't mind XIII being linear, as Elice said it makes perfect sense, on Cocoon they are fugitives, people that was wanted dead by the whole population, so it makes sense not being able to roam free when the whole of Cocoon want you dead.

Also, XIII and its storyline is really confusing if you don't read up on the mythos properly, so the game being linear makes sense in that department also. If you was able to roam wherever you wanted, you wouldn't of understood what the hell was actually happening, but going on Gran Pulse allows you that sense of freedom, a breather from everything, time to explore at your will, every game is linear tbh, and if a game was not linear it wouldn't be a game, its just how XIII was a 'corridor' which is why a lot of people dislike it.

But yeah, I really enjoyed XIII, I never had a problem with it, I still do think XIII is better than XIII-2, although I don't consider XIII-2 being a bad game, it was, for me, a really good game, but abit too easy.
---
@JoshuaMarshy tweeeeeeet
#40MoooglemanPosted 7/11/2013 7:05:07 AM
King_Shortt_IX posted...
They should have had a NG+ in XIII while also giving you the option to skip to the point went the game opens up. That would have helped the replay factor a little bit. Oh well.

What would the point be of starting on chapter 11 when you can just play post game? If they do new game plus it should be from the beginning if it's from 11 I really just don't see the point you load up post game at the end.