In your opinion, what is Square-Enix doing wrong?

#91shipwreckersPosted 7/25/2013 1:34:22 PM(edited)
DullahanEX posted...
If that's your example of SE's arrogance then they aren't the only ones. Every single one major publisher in this industry is doing that and chasing those numbers. It's because cost of developing games like Deus EX HR, CoD, GTA, MGS etc are far too high and require much more time to make.

If you can find me one other publisher that released a game BREAKING SALES RECORDS FOR AN ENTIRE FRANCHISE, yet they STILL whined about it, then I'll consider this point valid. I've already linked an article on this in the portion of text you quoted, but just so we're crystal clear:

http://www.gamersinformant.com/index.php/select-news/categories/adventure/item/451-tomb-raider-sets-franchise-sales-record-square-enix-not-happy

I've provided a source to back up my ramblings. Now it's your turn to provide yours.

You have to look at the full picture of both what's going on in the gaming community in terms of trends, developers and tech understand why things are happening the way their are. A biased limited view doesn't do you or anyone else favors.

You know, for a post that is trying to rebuke people for calling others arrogant, this portion is particularly ironic.
---
Money is overrated...
#92MagiusNecrosPosted 7/25/2013 1:54:56 PM
DullahanEX posted...
shipwreckers posted...
Many people have listed "arrogance" as their reason, and that is 100% valid. In fact, their arrogance as a company spans far beyond the Final Fantasy franchise. Their projected sales goals for the new Tomb Raider game were so astronomically high, the game would have been outselling every cash-cow franchise out there (including high sellers like Call of Duty).

http://www.gamersinformant.com/index.php/select-news/categories/adventure/item/451-tomb-raider-sets-franchise-sales-record-square-enix-not-happy

The game flat-out broke sales records for the entire franchise, yet they whined about it like their whole fanbase had abandoned them. With that attitude, perhaps their fanbase SHOULD abandon the whiny self-important jerks.

If that's your example of SE's arrogance then they aren't the only ones. Every single one major publisher in this industry is doing that and chasing those numbers. It's because cost of developing games like Deus EX HR, CoD, GTA, MGS etc are far too high and require much more time to make. That's why we don't many JRPGs on consoles anymore. You have to look at the full picture of both what's going on in the gaming community in terms of trends, developers and tech understand why things are happening the way their are. A biased limited view doesn't do you or anyone else favors.

Hope you like Million Arthur.
---
Reggie Fils-Aime - PLAY. THE. GAME.
Official GILGAMESH of every Gamefaqs Board
#93DullahanEXPosted 7/25/2013 2:34:27 PM(edited)
shipwreckers posted...

If you can find me one other publisher that released a game BREAKING SALES RECORDS FOR AN ENTIRE FRANCHISE, yet they STILL whined about it, then I'll consider this point valid. I've already linked an article on this in the portion of text you quoted, but just so we're crystal clear:

I've provided a source to back up my ramblings. Now it's your turn to provide yours.

What does breaking sales records have to do with anything? Most of games I listed broke sales records or did more than well enough, but publishers were not happy. This because as I pointed out due to an unsustainable old business model that does not account changes in the market or tech:

http://burnpsy.wordpress.com/2012/07/09/the-unsustainable-gaming-industry/

Many other industry insiders on NeoGAF have also said as such.

You know, for a post that is trying to rebuke people for calling others arrogant, this portion is particularly ironic.

How that ironic in anyway? You're singling out one company then acting defensive for no reason when I try to clarify it. I point out this systematic epidemic that involves more than one group and you get upset for what? It's not as If your basic point is changed.

MagiusNecros posted...

Hope you like Million Arthur.

What does a random iOs title have anything to do with this? Is SE not allow to make them or something now? I have no interest in it, so does not concern me. If there audience that likes those type of games than more power to them. As long SE keeps making console and hand-held that appeal to me it's fine.

---
Currently Playing: Fire Emblem: Awakening
#94gjvaquinoPosted 7/25/2013 2:42:10 PM
DullahanEX posted...
shipwreckers posted...
Many people have listed "arrogance" as their reason, and that is 100% valid. In fact, their arrogance as a company spans far beyond the Final Fantasy franchise. Their projected sales goals for the new Tomb Raider game were so astronomically high, the game would have been outselling every cash-cow franchise out there (including high sellers like Call of Duty).

The game flat-out broke sales records for the entire franchise, yet they whined about it like their whole fanbase had abandoned them. With that attitude, perhaps their fanbase SHOULD abandon the whiny self-important jerks.

If that's your example of SE's arrogance then they aren't the only ones. Every single one major publisher in this industry is doing that and chasing those numbers. It's because cost of developing games like Deus EX HR, CoD, GTA, MGS etc are far too high and require much more time to make. That's why we don't many JRPGs on consoles anymore. You have to look at the full picture of both what's going on in the gaming community in terms of trends, developers and tech understand why things are happening the way their are. A biased limited view doesn't do you or anyone else favors.

This is interesting. What happens if the cost of making games keep on getting higher especially with the release of the next generation consoles just around the corner? On a personal standpoint, I can honestly say that for this generation I only bought 1/8 the amount of all the ps2 games I bought when the ps2 was sitting on the console throne. The prices of new games are ridiculous. I was not very happy with the quality of the games. Sure they looked good but they were too short, too much style and no substances. They were forgettable at most. When I think about it, I didn't really buy much for my ps3. I'm sure that im not the only one who felt this way but I can honestly say I didn't really spend much on video games this generation.
---
Sneer
Plunge into the chasms of time. - Jihl Nabaat
#95DullahanEXPosted 7/25/2013 2:52:14 PM
gjvaquino posted...
DullahanEX posted...
shipwreckers posted...

This is interesting. What happens if the cost of making games keep on getting higher especially with the release of the next generation consoles just around the corner? On a personal standpoint, I can honestly say that for this generation I only bought 1/8 the amount of all the ps2 games I bought when the ps2 was sitting on the console throne. The prices of new games are ridiculous. I was not very happy with the quality of the games. Sure they looked good but they were too short, too much style and no substances. They were forgettable at most. When I think about it, I didn't really buy much for my ps3. I'm sure that im not the only one who felt this way but I can honestly say I didn't really spend much on video games this generation.

Most likely we will be heading for a crash if things continue this way. This gen has already killed a tons of studios like Sony's Liverpool and mid-tier RPGs like Breath of Fire, Sukioden Wild Arms etc. Those type of games are just to expensive to done on consoles at the the level fans expects without really high sales.
---
Currently Playing: Fire Emblem: Awakening
#96lamerhaterPosted 7/26/2013 2:54:17 AM
Square-Enix, like many videogame companies is simply just becoming rather stagnant due to a lack of new ideas or real innovations to the genre they're good at. They're at this point just trying to fulfill the status quo and make sales, which is a practical and smart idea considering they're a business.
---
The official Penelo of the Duodecim Boards.
"I'll be going too. Every good sky pirate has a partner, right?"
#97King_Shortt_IXPosted 7/26/2013 3:04:05 AM
The real question is what is SE doing right?
---
Adult collectible. This is not a toy.
#98shipwreckersPosted 7/26/2013 6:28:29 AM(edited)
DullahanEX posted...
What does breaking sales records have to do with anything? This because as I pointed out due to an unsustainable old business model that does not account changes in the market or tech:

http://burnpsy.wordpress.com/2012/07/09/the-unsustainable-gaming-industry/

Many other industry insiders on NeoGAF have also said as such.

I don't disagree with your premise that the gaming industry is embracing an unsustainable business model overall. That's a serious problem and nobody can deny it. However, I do disagree with your premise that Square-Enix is absolutely no different than any other publisher regarding unreasonable goals and crappy attitudes when those unreasonable goals aren't met. My premise is strictly about Sqare-Enix's ATTITUDE as a company. But, just to nip this argument, we both agree that the budgets are so astronomically big in games that profitability is almost a fool's dream for certain publishers. So, I guess the word "overconfident" would be better than "arrogant" regarding Square-Enix. Based on an analyst's look at the situation, Tomb Raider supposedly needed 5-10 million units sold just to BREAK EVEN.

http://www.psu.com/a018894/Analyst--Tomb-Raider-must-sell-5-10-million-to-profit?page=0

So, fair enough about the record breaking sales argument. Just breaking a record from a previous franchise sales is not relevant to whether a game is actually PROFITABLE. They could still be breaking records without breaking even. My bad, bro.

---
Money is overrated...
#99MagiusNecrosPosted 7/26/2013 6:58:50 AM
DullahanEX posted...

As long SE keeps making console and hand-held that appeal to me it's fine.

Then get a tablet. It's handheld.
---
Reggie Fils-Aime - PLAY. THE. GAME.
Official GILGAMESH of every Gamefaqs Board
#100KimMohicanTribePosted 8/1/2013 4:44:30 PM
Linear games
Stories with no sense.
---
The Official proud native american! [ My family approves of this song, strangely http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T3srk8Dkuo ]