How's this series?

#151Terribletruth69(Topic Creator)Posted 8/12/2013 8:45:10 AM
OP here.

So the general consensus is that I should buy them and try them since they're so cheap? That's what I was thinking.

But it also seems like people think there are better RPGs that I could spend my money on. What RPGs would those be? I also have a 360 if there are any good 360 exclusive RPGs.
#152ExternicaPosted 8/12/2013 9:16:28 AM
Terribletruth69 posted...
OP here.

So the general consensus is that I should buy them and try them since they're so cheap? That's what I was thinking.

But it also seems like people think there are better RPGs that I could spend my money on. What RPGs would those be? I also have a 360 if there are any good 360 exclusive RPGs.

Well... the FF13-Series received a LOT of backlash.
FF13 for being too linear. However, FFX was very linear, too and is considered to be a fan favourite.
Also, FF13 reminded me a lot of FFX in many gameplay aspects.
I tried to avouid that game because of how badmouthed it was, but curiousity demanded I play that. And I had a lot of fun. FFXIII was worth my time.
FFXIII-2 fixed the linearity a bit and is also a lot easier than FF13, even on normal setting. But I enjoyed it equally, if not a bit more.
Since both games are really cheap, I think you should give them a try.

In regards to other games, I don't own a PS3, so I can't tell you anything about its exclusive J-RPGs.
The "Tales"-Series is well liked, however, I find the story to be way too kitschy. The only Tales I liked so far were Eternia on the PSP and so far I did like Abyss on the 3DS. But I stopped playing after Natalia joined the party. I liked Abyss so far.

Anyway, JRPGs on the X360, I recommend "Lost Odyssey". It's probably my favourite JRPG of this generation and I enjoyed it a lot. It's X360-Exclusive. It's a bit similar to the "Shadow Hearts"-Series, if you palyed them.
There is also Blue Dragon which I liked a lot, too.
Another one is Magna Carta 2, an Action-RPG with... uh... Fanservice. It's a good game in its own right.

What game I do NOT recommend is "Eternal Sonata". First of all, the PS3-port has been enhanced with two new party members, some scenes palying different. But its main problem is, that characters never get to the point. Cutscenes are really long and many could be summed up with a few words. Worst offender is the end of chapter three or four, where a character has a flashback OF THE SCENE YOU'RE JUST WATCHING! I'm not kidding.

Tales of Vesperia, well, as I said, I find the Tales-Series way to kitschy for my taste. ToV starts very strong with an assasination-plot, which is dropped only moments after it started. It also tries to tell a story about justice. Some players called ToV out for sugarcoating vigilatism. The reason is, that ToV is a black and white morality. Your party members are the good guys, the empire is evil. There is no grey area and everyone deserved what was coming. Also, the final chapter drops the justice-theme for a green aesop. Honestly? I'm not sure Namco knew what kind of story they wanted to tell.
The AI also isn't very good, even when you set your characters up. Estelle is your main healer, but even when you command her to focus on support/healing, stay away from enemies and only use her healing artes, she will STILL run up to the enemy for a physical attack, despite being set to "stay away from enemies"! Not to mention, the game puts Estelle way too much into the spotlight than is good for her. In the end, I'm not sure whether Estelle's a Mary Sue or not, but she has some very strong tendencies. I thnk at least half of her problems were not necessary.
... ugh, here I go ranting over this game again.
The PS3-port is said to have better AI and also two more party members. But it's exclusive to Japan.
#153MalakTawusPosted 8/12/2013 10:16:58 AM
OP here.

The general consensus is that FFXIII is generally an hit or miss title, you can totally love the game (i love it) or you can hate it, it just depends on your personal taste (so you can stay in this board for years and you'll never be able to see people agreeing on this point,lol).

.............and yes, considering that the price is quite low now the best thing is simply to buy the game and judge for yourself.

Just one thing, i don't know how many rpgs you played, but in case you don't have a lot of experience i'll just give you a little warning: FF has a jrpg style, it's VERY DIFFERENT from games like Mass Effect or other wrpg series, actually it's more proper to consider wrpg and jrpg two completely different genres (i say this 'cause from your post i had the impression that you are looking for another game a bit similar to ME, and FF sure as hell it's not even close to be similar)
---
"Remember, you can make anything as idiot-proof as you want, they'll just build a better idiot...."
#154pillerofautumnPosted 8/12/2013 11:58:11 AM
MalakTawus posted...
(so you can stay in this board for years and you'll never be able to see people agreeing on this point,lol)

You can safely say that about most game boards on GameFAQs.

But I agree, this XIII series is polarizing. But it just tells me people care. That's at least my case. I've been playing FF since FFVII. Almost every single one released, I've played, even the non RPG ones. FFXI, FFXII, and FFXIII were all huge disappointments to me. It seems like this once great series is going backwards. And it doesn't feel good, as it's one of my favorite game series. Along, oddly enough, Resident Evil, which seemed to take a huge dip with 5 and hit rock bottom with 6. I just wish these great franchises would get back to their greatness.

But I digress. Even though FFXIII was pretty bad all around, XIII-2 was a huge step up in most areas. And I'm hopeful for LR.
#155MalakTawusPosted 8/12/2013 1:00:50 PM
pillerofautumn posted...
MalakTawus posted...
(so you can stay in this board for years and you'll never be able to see people agreeing on this point,lol)

But I agree, this XIII series is polarizing. But it just tells me people care. That's at least my case. I've been playing FF since FFVII. Almost every single one released, I've played, even the non RPG ones. FFXI, FFXII, and FFXIII were all huge disappointments to me. It seems like this once great series is going backwards. And it doesn't feel good, as it's one of my favorite game series. Along, oddly enough, Resident Evil, which seemed to take a huge dip with 5 and hit rock bottom with 6. I just wish these great franchises would get back to their greatness.

But I digress. Even though FFXIII was pretty bad all around, XIII-2 was a huge step up in most areas. And I'm hopeful for LR.

See? It's impossible to agree on a game so polarizing as FFXIII.
You call FFXIII bad all around, i call it great all around,degustibus.
---
"Remember, you can make anything as idiot-proof as you want, they'll just build a better idiot...."
#156pillerofautumnPosted 8/12/2013 3:50:00 PM
MalakTawus posted...
pillerofautumn posted...
MalakTawus posted...

See? It's impossible to agree on a game so polarizing as FFXIII.
You call FFXIII bad all around, i call it great all around,degustibus.

Calling it bad all around might be a little drastic. I think we can both agree the combat is great.
#157thegreatvegetaPosted 8/12/2013 4:15:24 PM
Had to force myself to beat XIII, charaters and story were awful. Every battle took forever and required no thought. And the whole game is just one linear tunnel ( I think you get to a free-roam section like 30-40 hours in, yay...)
#158GigerSupremePosted 8/12/2013 10:48:47 PM
OP here.

lost oddessy
deadly premonition
tales of vesperia
tales of graces f
tales of xillia
xenoblade
trusty bell
resonance of fate
nier
okami HD
valkiriya chronicles 1 or 2
FFX & X-2 HD (coming soon)

play any of these instead of the 13 games.