Serious discussion; could the trilogy have worked as a single game?

#11biskitttttttPosted 12/3/2013 2:50:39 AM
wwwgippal2 posted...
The whole 'main character goes MIA for a portion of the story and shoe-in character gets in the spotlight and then dies' has been done before (Jeanne D'Arc).

And the whole 'world gets severely altered after a meaningful story event' also has been done before (FFV and FFVI)

I think it could have worked.

I totally agree ^^

It prefectly works as it is as disc one two and three of a single game

The first one being linear when you learn how to play , a long tutorial ^^
the second one where many events occur and characters are separated
and the last one where the main protagonist (yes it this one there is a protagonist) gets what she wants and reunited with her friends and family kills the big bad.

It's been done before
#12j-fielding95Posted 12/3/2013 5:30:46 AM
They could have just shortened XIII and then done it as a 2 part story similar to VI with the ending of XIII being the end the first part (however Barthandelus succeeds somehow and destroys Cocoon, but people still survive on Pulse) and then LR as the second part where Lightning helps Bhunivelze recreate the world but turns on him etc.
---
You are slave. Want emancipation?
#13MagnusmightPosted 12/3/2013 7:22:20 AM
Think like your playing a PS1 game guys

XIII is disc 1

XIII-2 is disc 2

LR is disc 3

cept for Xbox players lol
#14King_Shortt_IXPosted 12/3/2013 7:23:13 AM
No. Considering each part did not even work well as a single game.
---
Adult collectible. This is not a toy.
#15BluezHighwindzPosted 12/3/2013 8:44:19 AM
I don't think FFXIII had nearly enough plot to justify thirty hours of gameplay. The game could have been maybe a third as long, and nothing would have been lost. Though really, FFXIII starts at what should have been the second act of a three act story, so its both too short and too long.

FFXIII-2 was just random nonsense for thirty hours. You could have cut everything except the Caius plot.

FFXIII-3 seems to be the same thing, cut everything except Bhunivelze.

So could it have all been one game? Definitely. But it still would have been weird, episodic, and schizophrenic, since the writing is just that truly awful.
---
Just remember folks, nobody really cares.
#16Eir_BeaumontPosted 12/3/2013 8:59:15 AM
I think with some slight modification of events and plot absolutely, yes it's possible. Core events like Cocoon falling and Serah's death can be kept. Frankly, I think the games would probably have had better focus and if they did this and cut out much of the non-sense that FF13-2 and 13 had. It'd give the game time actually give characters proper character development or just portray them differently with say more round personalities like Fang.
---
"Hey I know you! You're the guy who'll take any job that comes along, no matter how stupid or demeaning!"
#17lindaluvPosted 12/4/2013 2:54:49 PM
Eir_Beaumont posted...
I think with some slight modification of events and plot absolutely, yes it's possible. Core events like Cocoon falling and Serah's death can be kept. Frankly, I think the games would probably have had better focus and if they did this and cut out much of the non-sense that FF13-2 and 13 had. It'd give the game time actually give characters proper character development or just portray them differently with say more round personalities like Fang.

Dood, if they cut much of the non-sense out of FF13-2.. then there would be nothing left to make a game out of... FF13-2 was ALL non-sense.
---
MolaMadara : Punkin (200 - Strider) - http://i.imgur.com/peZhp.jpg
MulaMadara : Deneb (25 - Sorc)
#18gjvaquinoPosted 12/4/2013 3:45:10 PM
ClericIdola posted...

The FFXIII-2 portion of the game could have followed Lightning throughout her journey in Valhalla, making the fanfiction-like, whimsical misadventures of Serah and Noel throughout time non-existent. Summons could be re-introduced as a gameplay mechanic that allows them to be developed much in the same way that monsters could be developed in FFXIII-2. Valhalla itself would have been an open environment to explore. The Cinematic Actions wouldn't be missed if removed, but could have been implemented MUCH better. Also, the entire game could follow its sequels philosophy of less FMV, more in-game. I'd like seamless battle transitions to stay for some boss encounters.

This! To me the culprit has always been 13-2.... If this had happened then it would have been a better game imho. what they could have done is the ability to switch from one scenario to the other having Sera in the real world while Lightning in Valhalla that one world mirrors the other or at least one affect the others and that they were working together to fix the problem. I'm thinking a mix of ff6, Suikoden 3, Zelda. This would have a better execution of Serah's arc.
#19gjvaquinoPosted 12/4/2013 3:49:21 PM
j-fielding95 posted...
They could have just shortened XIII and then done it as a 2 part story similar to VI with the ending of XIII being the end the first part (however Barthandelus succeeds somehow and destroys Cocoon, but people still survive on Pulse) and then LR as the second part where Lightning helps Bhunivelze recreate the world but turns on him etc.

They can shorten 13 by cutting the "journey to Pulse" nonsense because in actuality it was nothing more than an inconvenience as you accomplished absolutely nothing by going there. No only did you not get to explore the vast world because it was constricted, in the end it turned out to be one long filler to make a game longer than it is.
#20BaseChouGokuPosted 12/4/2013 4:03:30 PM
Fight Bart on Cocoon
Get sent to Gran Pulse
Meet up with Bart on Gran Pulse and fight him again
Get sent back to Cocoon

Yeah it was filler pretty much