Unnecessary Sequels

#81Necro_Fear89Posted 12/28/2013 1:39:40 PM
xhominid posted...
Archangel489 posted...
the game teases you with pulses intro cutscene and kept on talking about how big it was. in ff10 while it was linear, you could go back to every place and explore them.

OMG, I hate this ridiculous ass defense...

FFX, yes, you can backtrack, but there's NO POINT. The only time you would ever want to re-visit places is at the end of the game which again, after that THERE'S NO POINT REVISITING ANY PLACE ELSE PAST OMEGA RUINS AND CALM LANDS!

That's not backtracking, that's as small scale linearity as FFXIII, bar none.

Seriously, just because there's an OPTION doesn't mean it's suddenly a good thing just because it's there.

It's not the linear path that hurt XIII, it's the fact that they made this pretty looking world and we couldn't interact with it. The merchant in the game is an effing floating laptop damn it. There are no NPC interactions, no merchants, no shops, no one to talk to about the recent events. Nothing. Just a straight line, you were forced to continue the plot no matter what. The times they did let you interact with NPC's was memorable to me, and I enjoyed, like when we meet Hope's father, or Vanille and Sazh's little trip to the chocobo ranch.

FFX was linear, but it offered interaction other than plot to immerse you in the game. There were NPC's to talk to, shops to visit, hidden bosses, dark Aeons, Celestial Weapons, Tidus can even learn Al Bhed if you collect the primers. I grew to love Spira because the game allowed me to learn more about it, and I could continue the game at my own pace, XIII? Not so much. Not to mention the X cast was actually likable, I got sick of Snow screaming "Serah!!!!!!" In every scene he appeared in.
---
~Everyday's great at your Junes!~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vByX90Ezn0s
#82Freedom888Posted 12/28/2013 2:51:27 PM
Archangel489 posted...
the after years, 13-2 and lightning returns are all completely unnecessary. the after years wasn't bad though and I really enjoyed it. 13 had a decent story and ended on a happy note but then toriyama had to go and f up everything. how does chaos alter the timeline. how does changing the future change the past. I get how you have to change the past in order to change the future but how would doing this change the further past. how would changing an event in 400 in order to stop and event in 500 change and event in the year 10. lightning returns was made to fix this. a new 10 game will probably be made and while I am open, what was so bad about ending the series at 10-2?

Well for me, 13-2 seems unnecessary because it doesn't even continue the story from 13, while all 6 characters have made appearances in 13-2, it just felt like last minute decisions because you don't see them all that often. Hope is the only one that you get to see more than the others, but he really doesn't add much to the story.

Lightning Returns, however, is necessary because of the cliffhanger ending in 13-2, it even says "To be continued",
#83Archangel489(Topic Creator)Posted 12/28/2013 3:43:24 PM
Necro_Fear89 posted...
xhominid posted...
Archangel489 posted...
the game teases you with pulses intro cutscene and kept on talking about how big it was. in ff10 while it was linear, you could go back to every place and explore them.

OMG, I hate this ridiculous ass defense...

FFX, yes, you can backtrack, but there's NO POINT. The only time you would ever want to re-visit places is at the end of the game which again, after that THERE'S NO POINT REVISITING ANY PLACE ELSE PAST OMEGA RUINS AND CALM LANDS!

That's not backtracking, that's as small scale linearity as FFXIII, bar none.

Seriously, just because there's an OPTION doesn't mean it's suddenly a good thing just because it's there.

It's not the linear path that hurt XIII, it's the fact that they made this pretty looking world and we couldn't interact with it. The merchant in the game is an effing floating laptop damn it. There are no NPC interactions, no merchants, no shops, no one to talk to about the recent events. Nothing. Just a straight line, you were forced to continue the plot no matter what. The times they did let you interact with NPC's was memorable to me, and I enjoyed, like when we meet Hope's father, or Vanille and Sazh's little trip to the chocobo ranch.

FFX was linear, but it offered interaction other than plot to immerse you in the game. There were NPC's to talk to, shops to visit, hidden bosses, dark Aeons, Celestial Weapons, Tidus can even learn Al Bhed if you collect the primers. I grew to love Spira because the game allowed me to learn more about it, and I could continue the game at my own pace, XIII? Not so much. Not to mention the X cast was actually likable, I got sick of Snow screaming "Serah!!!!!!" In every scene he appeared in.

while 10 is my favorite, I do prefer big open worlds. I still enjoyed 13, I just wished it offered more interaction with the world.
---
My theme song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPpydm2-0PQ
#84AldathPosted 12/28/2013 4:05:17 PM
Because FF games are now CGI Anime OVAs and not games.
---
Now Playing: AC: New Leaf, God Eater 2, Fatal Frame 2 Wii Edition
Awaiting: Monster Hunter 4
#85Archangel489(Topic Creator)Posted 12/28/2013 6:12:25 PM
Aldath posted...
Because FF games are now CGI Anime OVAs and not games.

nope
---
My theme song:
#86SuperXThousandPosted 12/28/2013 7:18:43 PM
roxas9001 posted...
For the love of Lindzei, here's why they kill orphan

the vision that the party had after turning
back from cie'th showed them a desirable outcome. They took this to
mean that they had made the right choice and that even after destroying
Orphan, things would work out.

YT link to vision part- http://youtu.be/VnzigBiglKI?t=6m14s

Yeah you told me.

Which is why: "They destroyed the one thing keeping the entire human population alive with no plan for saving themselves or anybody else. That's how it makes no sense."
#87Archangel489(Topic Creator)Posted 12/28/2013 7:42:01 PM
It just sucks how they are making a sequel that nobody really wanted. I was happy with 10-2's ending and would be ok with 10-3 but not with how they re doing things right now. I guess we'll see with how things turn out.
---
My theme song:
#88xhominidPosted 12/28/2013 11:19:17 PM
SuperXThousand posted...
How did it make no sense? Well let me tell you :) They destroyed the one thing keeping the entire human population alive with no plan for saving themselves or anybody else. That's how it makes no sense.

Didn't I just address this?! They had 2 WEEKS to pretty much do what they had to do(I believe that is what Toriyama said that was the timeframe of XIII), how was they able to think that far to begin with? And considering their vision(both the one they gained while they was Cieth by Orphan and the one at the start), they was pretty much given a good ending so why not just kill Orphan?(Besides, Fang and Vanille pretty much had a contingency plan from the start...)

SuperXThousand posted...
On paragraph 2, you're really not understanding me. Up until the Ark/Pulse everything was fine. Once the entire group comes together, that's when you challenge them in a way that brings them all closer together before they return to Pulse.

The first half of the game, they're not a cohesive group. They're split up all over the place and Lightning's trying to ditch everybody and half of them are trying to kill the other half.. I thought they missed a great opportunity to develop the characters as a GROUP a bit more on Pulse. Instead they kinda split up again. Snow/Lightning have a little moment, Vanille/Fang have a little moment, Sazh gets nothing and then they're back on Cocoon for the big finish. Instead, Pulse is primarily used to tie up loose ends and that's it.

And I see where you going but that's supposed to be the point, why should they bond that quickly? If even placed in a setting like them, I liked to see you bond as fast as you saying they should. I'm feeling you are honestly thinking too far with this.

@Necro_Fear89
I can see some of your complaints(I never got that complaint with Snow...seriously, not once) but in the end, with the info on the direction of the game and mythos(why would ANYONE talk to a L'Cie that isn't a sympathizer or one of them), I don't really see much of a problem with it but I can see why some would. I'm just pointing out that saying FFX is different because of small differences doesn't make it better at all, it's still just as bad but it just covers it with seasonings.
#89Destroyer_MagePosted 12/29/2013 7:27:26 AM
50 gil says Tobi is the new guy in Yuna's life. She wants to ride his shoopuff hurhurhur. I keed.
---
Sims logic: Cheat on your wife, high five her till she forgives you.
Home sweet home https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BFCMn3ECMAAxNf_.jpg
#90SuperXThousandPosted 12/29/2013 7:55:23 AM(edited)
xhominid posted...
And I see where you going but that's supposed to be the point, why should they bond that quickly? If even placed in a setting like them, I liked to see you bond as fast as you saying they should. I'm feeling you are honestly thinking too far with this.

A good writer can make it happen, especially since none of them were on bad terms with each other. They had plenty of time on Pulse to flesh it out.

---

Ultimately the crew had no plan to survive Orphan's death so I just can't get on board with that vision crap. As they said not 1 minute beforehand 'more fal'cie smoke and mirrors'?