How would you save the Final Fantasy series?

#1EbonTitaniumPosted 1/6/2014 9:14:59 AM
Face it the series is in a slump. While none of the games are truly horrible, they have been lackluster.
So, if you could breathe new life into this series what would you do?

Create a bigger world to explore. No more rail-guided crap.
A single big bad. No more puppetmaster, multi-tier bosses.
A hero who actually steps-up to the big bad. Lets get rid of this "Oh My God! What did I just get myself into" bs. It's insulting.
Likeable real characters. Less stereotypes.
And most importantly a strong story to tie in all together.

I put this up because I am a fan of the series, and I don't want to have to grab my rifle and take it behind the barn.
#2IightningzPosted 1/6/2014 9:19:27 AM
Anything that needs saving needs The Saviour <3 *gushes and faints*

Seriously though, half of those things sound like things they're already trying to do but are not meeting up to expectations. I'm sure they have the right concept, just that its execution is questionable.
---
Tumblr: http://raitningz.tumblr.com/
Lightning Collection: http://imgur.com/a/ibrsD#0
#3King_Shortt_IXPosted 1/6/2014 10:16:54 AM(edited)
Get rid of story characters for your party and replace them with it a create your character system.

Return back to the classic turn based system, and expand the skill system to include impressive looking summons and spells that are useful.

Simplify the story, and keep it clear of convolution. Everything is by the book and there are no surprises.

Get rid of needless CGI scenes

Make the series open world with freedom to play the game as one sees fit. Everything is unlocked from the start.

No more DLC.
---
Adult collectible. This is not a toy.
#4Inertion5Posted 1/6/2014 11:30:59 AM
I'd hire Emiya Kiritsugu.
---
Priestess Kikuri-Hime x Chariot Kin-Ki x Fool Loki
#5Some_StaticPosted 1/6/2014 11:41:52 AM(edited)
idk, just keep making games. Series has always been in flux for different tastes.

edit: hire new writers though. Between the entire XIII series and the recent extra material cropping up around the FFX audio drama and 2.5 novel, there's something seriously wrong with the writing staff. I can't criticize XV because I haven't really got a good grip on the story, but as much as I like what I've seen so far, there's pretty good reason to be a little distrustful, even if I really want to like XV... because I really wanted to like XIII, but here I am. :\
---
It's not a JRPG until you kill a god. http://ghost-or-mute.tumblr.com
3DS Friend Code: 1075-1893-8704
#6VekkererPosted 1/6/2014 11:41:48 AM
Hrm I dunno. I did just read that SE canned the next main Hitman game to have Eidos focus on making an IOs and Android game instead, so I'm not exactly sure if I want the series to be saved, just out of spite.

Burn it all.
---
"And you have proved to be
A real human being and a real hero..."
#7gjvaquinoPosted 1/6/2014 11:43:08 AM
After watching fullmetal alchemist brotherhood. As long as they don't have a whiny character like Edward Elric. Someone who always loses his faith in himself time and time again and then finds a hint of resolve only to lose it yet again, I should be good. I want strong characters who can actually keep It together despite having very few episodes of breaking down. None of that emo crap.
#8Deva_ZanPosted 1/6/2014 11:51:14 AM
As long as SE are doing well, FF doesn't need saving.
#9Some_StaticPosted 1/6/2014 11:54:19 AM
gjvaquino posted...
After watching fullmetal alchemist brotherhood. As long as they don't have a whiny character like Edward Elric. Someone who always loses his faith in himself time and time again and then finds a hint of resolve only to lose it yet again, I should be good. I want strong characters who can actually keep It together despite having very few episodes of breaking down. None of that emo crap.

I don't know. Struggle with oneself is almost a staple of most RPG plots. If you have someone who never falters you have a pretty boring lead character.
---
It's not a JRPG until you kill a god. http://ghost-or-mute.tumblr.com
3DS Friend Code: 1075-1893-8704
#10Strider102Posted 1/6/2014 12:09:17 PM
Depends on what I'm saving it from. Am I saving it from people wearing nostalgia glasses who live in the past and hate/fear the future?

Am I saving it from SE, who own FF, and quite frankly can do with it whatever they want because it is their property, not ours? Last time I checked FF was still owned by SE.

Or saving it from people that actually enjoy FF as a whole and sees both the positives and negatives associated with it?

Topic title didn't really ask what group it needed saving from so I thought I'd ask.
---
Strider is something of a god of equine necro-brutality. -Master ZED