Gameinformer Review: 7/10

#1GoombacrusherPosted 2/4/2014 5:26:48 PM
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=763493

FF Lightning Returns:
-Worst of the Lightning series but not a bad game.
-Real time combat makes battles feel more about skill than feel automated.
-Game has easy and normal difficulty choices, cant change once you start the game. Its a hard game so the reviewer says to be afraid to choose easy.
-That said the reviewer states the challenge of normal makes the battles thrilling.Says there is flexibility in the combat and battles are exciting.
-Biggest change is the time system, all you have is 13 days, has its drawbacks.
-Forces you to plan your time accordingly which can lead to entertaining time management.
-Doesn't allow the time to delve into certain gameplay systems, like killing a species of monsters off for great loot. That needs lots of grinding which you cant do much of.
-Many side quests are poor dull fetch quests that have annoying restrictions like only happening in a certain time of day.
-You are forced to do quests cause that is how you level up. Cant choose how you level up each quest assigns the upgrades.
-Fighting still matters as it gets you money and EP used for spells.
-Calls the story a joke, feels like a non-canon spinoff that would be in a comic
-Says this game swapped out systems that worked in past games for some that don't hit the same high notes.

---
kawaii!
#2Sacred_ArfaidPosted 2/4/2014 5:28:01 PM
That score is composed of numbers.
#3Goombacrusher(Topic Creator)Posted 2/4/2014 5:32:12 PM(edited)
Sacred_Arfaid posted...
That score is composed of numbers.

We can now confirm beyond a shred of a doubt that Final Fantasy XIII, VII, and X all take place in the same universe. GI knows this and Square wouldn't let them talk, but they found a way to sneak the information out to the public
---
kawaii!
#4psicomelitePosted 2/4/2014 5:32:06 PM
I always enjoy seeing how the rushed experience of reviewers emboldens them to blame the game for their resultant pitiful knowledge and skill.
---
Valfodr Lv. 99 - 4:13
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1H7akDZJMEg
#5XyzzySqrlPosted 2/4/2014 5:39:04 PM
killing a species of monsters off for great loot.

Wow, that's a thing? That's in there? ... That's pretty cool! For the most part, the review itself (or the summary of the review) sounds like it'll be a pretty polarizing, love it or hate it kind of thing.
#6FourManSevenPosted 2/4/2014 5:40:24 PM
FF Lightning Returns:
1. Worst of the Lightning series but not a bad game.
2. Real time combat makes battles feel more about skill than feel automated.
3. Game has easy and normal difficulty choices, cant change once you start the game. Its a hard game so the reviewer says to be afraid to choose easy.
4. That said the reviewer states the challenge of normal makes the battles thrilling.Says there is flexibility in the combat and battles are exciting.
5. Biggest change is the time system, all you have is 13 days, has its drawbacks.
6. Forces you to plan your time accordingly which can lead to entertaining time management.
7. Doesn't allow the time to delve into certain gameplay systems, like killing a species of monsters off for great loot. That needs lots of grinding which you cant do much of.
8. Many side quests are poor dull fetch quests that have annoying restrictions like only happening in a certain time of day.
9. You are forced to do quests cause that is how you level up. Cant choose how you level up each quest assigns the upgrades.
10. Fighting still matters as it gets you money and EP used for spells.
11. Calls the story a joke, feels like a non-canon spinoff that would be in a comic
12. Says this game swapped out systems that worked in past games for some that don't hit the same high notes.

1. Dunno, FF13-2 had Lightning plastered all over and you got to play as her for all of 10 minutes. Unless you bought the DLC.
2. Contradicts point 12.
3. Like most games with difficulty settings
4. Contradicts point 3.
5. Majora's Mask was also on a time system, and it's praised.
6. Like time limits in any video game?
7. Unsure. However, it seems to contradict point 6.
8. Most side quests are dull fetch quests. Majora's mask only allows certain quests to be started at certain times of the day.
9. Borderlands 1 and 2 both had 'questing' as the main way to level up, most people didn't mind it.
10. Really? I had no idea that fighting in a video game about saving the world would matter.
11. Many people felt that the story of FF13-2 was a joke and not canon.
12. Contradicts point 2.
#7NoOnesTherePosted 2/4/2014 5:40:26 PM
That's about what I expected. It sounds like it's the best of the XIII games from a gameplay perspective (which is what I'm mainly concerned about) but isn't as polished. XIII-2 got docked for similar reasons despite playing better than XIII so I'm not worried.
#8Burningskull01Posted 2/4/2014 5:45:42 PM
I know everyone says you actually have to much time, and there's chronstasis that stops the clock for 75 seconds. But I kinda wish you could start and stop the clock at will, but not be able to accept or turn in quests. That way you could get the quests, stop the clock, do the quests, then start the clock and turn stuff in. Also would allow you to explore a lot more.
#9drsw36Posted 2/4/2014 5:46:53 PM
A fair score.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/drsw36
#10King_Shortt_IXPosted 2/4/2014 6:01:24 PM
A little bit high, but a reasonable review.
---
Adult collectible. This is not a toy.