A final fantasy game with a meta score in the 60s? Boy how the mightly have fell

#1Flamechamp2333Posted 2/11/2014 6:46:55 PM
The final fantasy series used to be a series people revered but ever since ff13, its clear this series has no direction other than mediocrity. Any rpg gamer could see this from a mile away that lightning returns would be an absolute abomination to this genre that we all love.

Say what you want, but final fantasy 7 was revolutionary and introduced jrpg's to the west.

Say what you want, and even though FFX was pretty linear, it had awesome characters and presentation of story and is the highest selling final fantasy game of all-time because of this.

Say what you want, but ff12's mmo gameplay was still creative and unique and it had an amazing world to explore.

Hell, even ffx-2 could hold its own. It had awesome gameplay and helped extend the story of spira.

But no, say what you want, but this trilogy of Lightning and ff13 and anything having to do with either of them, is so utterly disgusting that many people are tempted to boycott this series. Outside of ffx hd, people are going to be looking at ff15 with almost no expectations, as well as the rest of the series, because how terrible these lightning games have been.

Gamespot's 5/10 review is justified. Every single point the reviewer made, made sense; this series is going downhill and downhill fast.
---
this screenshot is for warcraft 3 players: http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/5835/masscritters.jpg
#2SuzakuSkydancerPosted 2/11/2014 6:56:57 PM
Say what you want because it's an opinion, of which the majority of gamefaqs May or may not agree with, but outside the US is not so.

Coupled with the fact there were dissenters before we had anything other then a trailer means your so-called majority are wearing rose tinted glasses.

XIII was an awesome game, whose battle system was both refreshing an innovative, but then again that's my opinion. The plot could have been a little better, sure, but the lack of free roam didn't bother me in the least considering the amount received late game. The character depth didn't seem any worse then some of the older FFs, and the graphics were stunning.

But heck, nitpick and complain. In the end all that does is withhold your ability to enjoy the game as much.
---
Meow~
#3ZeusthagodPosted 2/11/2014 7:04:30 PM
I totally agree on all points. I'm really taken back by how bad SE has allowed things to become. They released a trilogy of what many would consider the worst 3 FF games ever. I remember the days when a new FF game was an automatic purchase from me without question on day 1. No longer.
---
A wise man told me "don't argue with fools"
#4MoooglemanPosted 2/11/2014 7:05:40 PM
FF7 didn't introduce jrpg's. It helped the genre get more people into it but it was alive and well before then just not booming. It was the 4th western FF. We did get all DQ's for the nes (none for SNES). Breath of Fire 1 and 2, Earthbound, Chrono Trigger etc etc. FF7 just made more people take notice because it was pretty for it's time.

13 is a disappointment of an FF but a decent rpg. If it was called some thing else and released by some one else it wouldn't have as much hate.
#5MarblesbunbunPosted 2/11/2014 7:08:45 PM
Honestly, the worst Final Fantasies to me will always be 2 and 8.

As for JRPGs in the U.S.... FF7 just made JRPGs mainstream but still kept them a niche.
Only FFs and maybe DQs are widely recognized world wide, while most RPGs have no where near the same fan base and devotion.

I on the other hand have played so many they are all merging together and while FF6 is my fav RPG, the Xeno series is my fave franchise.
---
Mewtwo_Soul: "You can't trust a smile from Sony, but you'd better watch your back after shaking Microsoft's hand."
#6crono12064Posted 2/11/2014 7:19:52 PM
There's already an FF game with a meta score even below the 60s and it happened years ago:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-2/dirge-of-cerberus-final-fantasy-vii
---
When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies? Too much sanity may be madness and maddest of all is to see life as it is and not as it should be.
#7MarblesbunbunPosted 2/11/2014 7:21:19 PM
crono12064 posted...
There's already an FF game with a meta score even below the 60s and it happened years ago:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-2/dirge-of-cerberus-final-fantasy-vii

Wow, I forgot they kept FF in the title of that one.
---
Mewtwo_Soul: "You can't trust a smile from Sony, but you'd better watch your back after shaking Microsoft's hand."
#8KOTRsssPosted 2/11/2014 7:24:04 PM
No one considered DoC to be indicative of the overall series's quality. It was an action/third person shooter/RPG hybrid FFVII spinoff.
---
Gamefaqs has taught us that academic fields like literature don't exist because of teenagers that say "well that's just your opinion and I disagree."
#9crono12064Posted 2/11/2014 7:24:24 PM
Yeah, I guess many people want to forget that series, despite it's association with FFVII.
---
When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies? Too much sanity may be madness and maddest of all is to see life as it is and not as it should be.
#10mistermikeymikePosted 2/11/2014 7:27:39 PM
last i checked FF7 sold more than FFX and FFX-2 combined
---
Don't let ExtremeLight troll you. He has not played FF1-9 and anything he says about them is completely made up. He also supports Cargo-Capri pants