Is this the worst written rpg series you've ever played?

#1FlyinTonitePosted 2/16/2014 11:01:39 PM
In terms of plot? Final Fantasy 13 (and it's sequels) have definitely made it in my list of worst written rpg series ever. Plot holes out the ass, stuff that really didn't make any sense, the encyclopedia being a necessary companion to understand what the hell was going on in the first game, the bland characters (Lightning takes the cake, why do we have a game staring this bland protagonist?), and the questionable dialogue, were the writers even trying?

The games actually have plenty of posititves, they look great, sound great, and the gameplay I enjoyed but the writing is complete crap. Although Lightning Returns seems to be better, so far, in terms of writing, it's still bad, just not the complete train wreck final fantasy 13's story was.
---
Sony fanboys are the most annoying, Nintendo fanboys are the most ignorant and Microsoft fanboys are adorable because they think they're people.
#2FScellPosted 2/16/2014 11:04:19 PM
Oh definitely not.
---
What can change the nature of a man?
#3Zetathekitsune2Posted 2/16/2014 11:09:28 PM
If you think of lightning as "bland" I honestly wonder your ability to comprehend writing of stoic characters or anything that isnt a giant trope fest.
---
3DS FC:4940-6711-9785
#4FlyinTonite(Topic Creator)Posted 2/16/2014 11:15:58 PM
Zetathekitsune2 posted...
If you think of lightning as "bland" I honestly wonder your ability to comprehend writing of stoic characters or anything that isnt a giant trope fest.

You can have a stoic character, but when they aren't exactly written well they can still be bland. Her character never really goes anywhere in the first game, hell she barely matters to the plot when you get down to it, the second game, I just hate what they did to her in that game, and I'm not very far into Lightning returns yet to make a judgement.

Squall was better written than Lightning and FF8 had a whole host of writing issues as well.
---
Sony fanboys are the most annoying, Nintendo fanboys are the most ignorant and Microsoft fanboys are adorable because they think they're people.
#5thisongagainPosted 2/16/2014 11:22:00 PM
FlyinTonite posted...
In terms of plot? Final Fantasy 13 (and it's sequels) have definitely made it in my list of worst written rpg series ever. Plot holes out the ass, stuff that really didn't make any sense, the encyclopedia being a necessary companion to understand what the hell was going on in the first game, the bland characters (Lightning takes the cake, why do we have a game staring this bland protagonist?), and the questionable dialogue, were the writers even trying?

The games actually have plenty of posititves, they look great, sound great, and the gameplay I enjoyed but the writing is complete crap. Although Lightning Returns seems to be better, so far, in terms of writing, it's still bad, just not the complete train wreck final fantasy 13's story was.

Its pretty bad, but I have played worse. Just off the top of my Xeno Gears people who like the game claim it is ingeniously written. Honestly I would agree with them until the second disk where something went very very wrong.
#6DarkRPGMasterPosted 2/16/2014 11:22:07 PM
Oh TC, this is nowhere near the worst. I've seen the worst, and let's just say this...it's like mentioning that OTHER Lunar game...IT DOES NOT EXIST OKAY, THERE IS ONLY LUNAR AND LUNAR 2!
---
If being open to things is a crime, then I deserve the death penalty.
Warning, overactive imagination, will come up with crazy ideas at a moment's notice.
#7OldKyePosted 2/16/2014 11:23:11 PM
DarkRPGMaster posted...
Oh TC, this is nowhere near the worst. I've seen the worst, and let's just say this...it's like mentioning that OTHER Lunar game...IT DOES NOT EXIST OKAY, THERE IS ONLY LUNAR AND LUNAR 2!

This post made my day lol.
#8jelashPosted 2/16/2014 11:43:39 PM
It's nice to see Lunar fans on this board! :)
---
''I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I enforce it.'' (Zapp Brannigan; Futurama)
Mary-Kate and Ashley: Magical Mystery Mall >>> Ni no Kuni
#9bigtim777Posted 2/16/2014 11:45:56 PM
I'm currently on day 2 and about to finish Yusnaan's main quest.

*stuff that really didn't make any sense*

So far everything in the game made sense to me. But I'm not that far in the game I still have to complete the rest. Is it that weird that I know what's going on?
---
FF6 > FF13 > FF4-AY > FF5 > FF4 > FF13-2 > FF10 > FF3 > FF1 > FF2
#10FlyinTonite(Topic Creator)Posted 2/16/2014 11:51:11 PM
bigtim777 posted...
I'm currently on day 2 and about to finish Yusnaan's main quest.

*stuff that really didn't make any sense*

So far everything in the game made sense to me. But I'm not that far in the game I still have to complete the rest. Is it that weird that I know what's going on?

That mostly referring to final fantasy 13/13-2, I haven't played much of Lightning Returns.
---