Is Lightning actually Popular?

#1lindaluvPosted 2/20/2014 9:22:28 AM
Is Lightning "considered" popular in Japan?

FF13 sold about 1.9 million in Japan
FF13-2 sold about 0.9 million in Japan
FF13-3 sold about 0.3 million in Japan

The sales have had a dramatic decline in popularity as less and less people are buying the "sequels".

So far, FFXIII has sold 5.15 million copies globally... and we can safely assume it made it to 5 million because of it's brand name, false advertising, extreme hype and the first next gen FF for the next gen consoles of it's time. The fact that 3.25 million (63%) of the total sales came from the non Japanese population shows that FF has a large fanbase globally. Which would explain why SE tried so hard to make a game marketed for the non Japanese audiences. However, in doing so they alienated their core Japanese market, but also failed in grabbing the Western market... if we are to base this on the so called "sequel" success.

FF13-2 sold a global 2 million (roughly 1 million of those sales came from the extreme price drop of the game however, which could be one reason why the game even made it past 1 million copies sold)
This game seems to have had an even split between the global market and the Japanese market, again, false advertising lent a hand in pushing the game to sell a bit more

FF13-3 continues the pattern of declining sales and so far just the Japanese market has the game sell no more then 0.3 million.. a significant drop (it is the third sequel though so take that into consideration). All this points to Lightning NOT being as popular as she is put out to be.. and it seems, like with any medium of entertainment.. that the vocal minority is doing a good job of pushing forth this "fake" popularity that was never there.

In case people are wondering, if a game is liked.. then no matter how many rehashes or re-releases or sequels are made, the game will sell fairly well. The EA sports game, the CoD, the BFs, the bloody Pokemon games are all a testament to this. So to say that because "it's a sequel it WILL sell less" is a bit moot in this regard as there are plenty of cases of sequels selling just as good as the prequels.

So again.... is Lightning really as popular as the Japanese (mostly SE saying so) as SE makes her out to be.. or is SE pulling a Famitsu and fudging s*** up to garner support for their "delusional" statements?
---
MolaMadara : Punkin (200 - Strider) - http://i.imgur.com/peZhp.jpg
MulaMadara : Deneb (25 - Sorc)
#2j-fielding95Posted 2/20/2014 9:26:36 AM
Yes Linda love
---
You are slave. Want emancipation?
#3LadysoalluringPosted 2/20/2014 9:27:54 AM
Now do the same thing you did for FFVII/Cloud games, etc ;P
---
Official "Vanille" of the Dissidia Duodecim boards
"To hate, to hurt, to destroy ... I couldn't do it" - Vanille
#4King_Shortt_IXPosted 2/20/2014 9:29:15 AM
No, but polls seem to indicate that people think Lightning Is popular.
---
Adult collectible. This is not a toy.
#5lindaluv(Topic Creator)Posted 2/20/2014 9:49:14 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#6lindaluv(Topic Creator)Posted 2/20/2014 2:14:31 PM
Ladysoalluring posted...

Why? FFVII started the whole "sequel" and additional content stuff. Ive never really been a big fan of the FFVII series. I do however miss the Materia system and I think it was one of the best ways to implement the magic system.
---
#7bakkahentai8600Posted 2/20/2014 2:16:28 PM
lindaluv posted...
Ladysoalluring posted...

Why? FFVII started the whole "sequel" and additional content stuff. Ive never really been a big fan of the FFVII series. I do however miss the Materia system and I think it was one of the best ways to implement the magic system.

The first sequel was to Final Fantasy V. An anime at that. Done back in the 90s.
---
Previously the_sage2600
I'm baaaacccckkkkk
#8iLoveLightning-Posted 2/20/2014 2:18:43 PM
She's more popular than Fang, if that's what you're searching for.
---
"I don't know whether to salute you, or slap you."
- Lightning, Lightning Returns: FFXIII
#9Lightnings13Posted 2/20/2014 2:22:59 PM
When LR was announced, they said XIII+XIII-2 sold 9,6 million worldwide.

FFXIII : 6,6 million
FFXIII-2 : 3 million

LR sold about 0.4 million in Japan. (december 31th 2013), still selling in 2014.
#10lindaluv(Topic Creator)Posted 2/20/2014 2:35:58 PM
Lightnings13 posted...
When LR was announced, they said XIII+XIII-2 sold 9,6 million worldwide.

FFXIII : 6,6 million
FFXIII-2 : 3 million

LR sold about 0.4 million in Japan. (december 31th 2013), still selling in 2014.

Last I checked FFXIII was no where near breaking 6 million, and and FF13-2 just barely passed the 2 million mark. Where are you getting the numbers from?

and no one likes you, you lightningz alt miss ilovelightning
---