Question about upgrading weapons

#1SuzakuSkydancerPosted 2/21/2014 6:24:22 PM
Hello. I have a question about upgrading weapons. (I'm close to beating the game, so I can't yet) I've seen mentioned once or twice that weapons have some sort of upgrade limit? As in you can't fully max the attack/magic/ability on some weapons? Is there any truth to this or what? If anyone can shed some light I'd be grateful
---
Meow~
#2SuzakuSkydancer(Topic Creator)Posted 2/21/2014 8:09:33 PM
Bump, someone has to know by now :(
---
Meow~
#3BAEx10Posted 2/21/2014 8:19:59 PM
SuzakuSkydancer posted...
Hello. I have a question about upgrading weapons. (I'm close to beating the game, so I can't yet) I've seen mentioned once or twice that weapons have some sort of upgrade limit? As in you can't fully max the attack/magic/ability on some weapons? Is there any truth to this or what? If anyone can shed some light I'd be grateful

I recently checked to see if I could fully upgrade a weapons MAG. It doesn't seem like you can. The weapon I saw said it had could go to a max of 4,000 MAG, but it couldn't even do that many upgrades. So I don't think its possible to even max out one stat.
#4AkazoraPosted 2/21/2014 8:22:29 PM
Orange and red materials give more stats per point than the yellow ones do. The yellows give 10 strength/magic per, reds give 50.

So while it looks like you wouldn't be able to reach the cap, you can usually cap one offensive stat and the auto-ability and you won't have the upgrade capacity to spend on the other offensive stat.
#5ZheakkPosted 2/21/2014 8:33:15 PM
You can max some stats, but you can't max every stat on the weapon.

For example, on a weapon with upgradeable STR, MAG, and ATB there might be.

50 upgrades to max STR
50 upgrades to max MAG
10 upgrades to max ATB

But the weapon will only have, say, 80 total upgrades max.

So if you decided to max STR and ATB, you would be unable to max MAG.

Also bear in mind that, as someone above said, later upgrades provide bigger bonuses.

So the first 20 upgrades for STR might give 10 STR, and then the next 20 give 25, and the last 10 give 50.
This means you usually get more overall stat bonuses by maxing what you can, rather than trying to spread the points out evenly.

You can also downgrade a weapon, so if youd ecide you want to redistribute the upgrades, that is possible as well.