is this like final fantasy xii where..

#1auginistePosted 2/27/2014 6:03:36 PM
it's a really good game, yet a lot of people bash it, giving it an infamous reputation?

because i really like ffxii, there are so many things to do with it, i can even say the same with the story, as you're looking at it through a certain perspective. but people just had to hate and tell everyone it's a wreck of a game.

does the same case apply for ffxiii and its entirety?
---
alien-baiting. ~ catch and release.
http://backloggery.com/auginiste
#2Zmapper33Posted 2/27/2014 6:05:28 PM
I would say yes. FFXII is one of my favorite and to be honest LR is shaping up to be one of the best as well, I'm on day 7 so far.
#3VezTheNoobPosted 2/27/2014 6:09:13 PM
I would also say yes. I personally feel that this trilogy got more things right than wrong. I've played these game for an embarrassing number of hours and love them to death. XII was amazing too, in my humble opinion.
#4auginiste(Topic Creator)Posted 2/27/2014 6:31:12 PM
VezTheNoob posted...
I would also say yes. I personally feel that this trilogy got more things right than wrong. I've played these game for an embarrassing number of hours and love them to death. XII was amazing too, in my humble opinion.

might as well give it a try, this trilogy may be overshadowed by the bashing. so what good would it do to just sit around and join the bandwagon, huh?

and to those who still remember, compared to the sidequests in 9 and 12, how does 13 fare?
---
#5VezTheNoobPosted 2/27/2014 7:09:03 PM
The only sidequests in XIII-1 consist of hunts, similar to the marks in XII, but the system is implemented better because you don't have to read a board message, track down NPC, kill mark, report back. In XIII-1, you basically find the "petitioner", and then go kill the mark. Once you kill the mark, you are rewarded for it on the spot, none of that "reporting back" nonsense. The draw back is you can only hunt one mark at a time. So if you are hunting "mark A" and decide to go hunt "mark B" you can, but if you decide to hunt "mark A" again you have find the petitioner and re-activate the quest.

I have no idea how sidequests worked in XIII-2 because it has been so long since I played it, but there I can say that there is more variety than just killing stuff.

In LR:FF13, sidequests are virtually everywhere in this game and they are the only way to increase "built-in" stats, that is, stats that Lightning has, no matter her equipment.

Most of the quests in LR are fetch-type, but there are a few cool "solve this mystery," or "rescue this person," or "kill this monster" or "grow this plant." I can see where it could get difficult for developers to design quests because really, what can we do in a video game? We can talk to people, get stuff and deliver it, solve a puzzle, or kill stuff. That's why the fetch-quests don't really bother me because its like "meh, what do ya do?"
#6SinfullyvannilaPosted 2/27/2014 7:24:58 PM
Parts of it are really good. Other parts not so much.

Even as someone who liked the other two, I still think I'd rather they use the good parts in a new IP.
---
Friend Code 3050-7626-8586 Abra/Sigilyph/Gothorita FS, PM me for FS trades.
#7auginiste(Topic Creator)Posted 2/27/2014 7:27:17 PM
thanks vez! :D
---
#8Souji_MikagePosted 2/27/2014 7:36:04 PM
VezTheNoob posted...
Most of the quests in LR are fetch-type, but there are a few cool "solve this mystery," or "rescue this person," or "kill this monster" or "grow this plant." I can see where it could get difficult for developers to design quests because really, what can we do in a video game? We can talk to people, get stuff and deliver it, solve a puzzle, or kill stuff. That's why the fetch-quests don't really bother me because its like "meh, what do ya do?"

Majora's Mask had some pretty neat side-quests. Like the ones in the ranch or the one with Kafei. LR feels a bit like Majora's Mask for the whole time-limit-because-the-world-is-ending thing but it's a shame that they didn't put too much effort in the side-quests. Most of them are quite silly and it would have been better if they were just Canvas of Prayers quests instead of having those absurd and pointless dialogues with the NPCs.
#9ArmaLeyvatenPosted 2/27/2014 7:40:23 PM
The only reason so many people talked smack about FFXII is because the people who liked it were too busy playing it to say anything :P
#10ajmrowland1Posted 2/27/2014 8:57:23 PM
Souji_Mikage posted...
VezTheNoob posted...

Majora's Mask had some pretty neat side-quests. Like the ones in the ranch or the one with Kafei. LR feels a bit like Majora's Mask for the whole time-limit-because-the-world-is-ending thing but it's a shame that they didn't put too much effort in the side-quests. Most of them are quite silly and it would have been better if they were just Canvas of Prayers quests instead of having those absurd and pointless dialogues with the NPCs.

Not all the dialogues were that absurd or pointless though, and they sometimes make for nice Lightning Messages.