Does anyone understand the story at all? (xiii trilogy spoilers)

#71HavokuPosted 6/2/2014 9:33:28 AM
You guys overthink the story of LR too much. I'm almost to the point of Cat Muto when I say that the harder you wrack your brain over it, the more unncessarily complicated it becomes. XIII was a story. XIII-2 was time travel, not supposed to make sense. LR is just XIII-2...2. Same plot, same characters, add one Lumina and one Bhuni. Lumina's just a manifestation of Lightning, Bhuni's just a stereotypical flawed villain.
---
PSN: Nero_Heist, FFXIV: Norimu Zorimu (Brynhildr)
PSN: Havoku - Claire - 13 - Mage (Legion's Might)
#72CatMutoPosted 6/2/2014 11:07:11 AM
LR is just XIII-2...2. Same plot, same characters, add one Lumina and one Bhuni. Lumina's just a manifestation of Lightning, Bhuni's just a stereotypical flawed villain.

Yes cause you travel through time throughout one playthrough of LR, just like in XIII-2. (And please no smart ass answer of "Yeah we travel FORWARDS in time with every second" because anyone here knows what I mean when I say travelling through time)

C-A
---
Family Humor: It's an acquired taste.
#73HavokuPosted 6/2/2014 11:37:23 AM
CatMuto posted...
LR is just XIII-2...2. Same plot, same characters, add one Lumina and one Bhuni. Lumina's just a manifestation of Lightning, Bhuni's just a stereotypical flawed villain.

Yes cause you travel through time throughout one playthrough of LR, just like in XIII-2. (And please no smart ass answer of "Yeah we travel FORWARDS in time with every second" because anyone here knows what I mean when I say travelling through time)

C-A

Theoretically, since time has been destroyed or made null by Caius, yes, you're moving across time throughout one play-through of LR. That's still over-thinking it, which was the main point of my message. Same characters, same story. LR just brings closure to it.
---
#74Extreme_lightPosted 6/2/2014 12:26:45 PM
Havoku posted...
LR is just XIII-2...2. Same plot, same characters, add one Lumina and one Bhuni.

...Can't agree. LR is 13-3, not 13-2...2 (That would be the DLCs in 13-2). The plot is completely different from the last two imo.
---
Stuck in Dorter in Tactics... Fun times! "Oh, I'll show you how Lightning strikes!''
I hereby declare WAR on trolls!
#75HavokuPosted 6/2/2014 1:33:16 PM
Extreme_light posted...
Havoku posted...
LR is just XIII-2...2. Same plot, same characters, add one Lumina and one Bhuni.

...Can't agree. LR is 13-3, not 13-2...2 (That would be the DLCs in 13-2). The plot is completely different from the last two imo.

I'll agree to disagree, because likely the thing is (probably the same with CatMuto) that when I say plot, and you say plot, we don't mean the same thing.
---
#76MoToX20Posted 6/11/2014 11:23:24 AM
tam4g0 posted...
Iightningz posted...
Yes, but the game should cater to those lazy cutscene-skipping players. I'm merely talking about things that can be improved, you're saying that they don't need to be improved because players don't understand because they're lazy. Basically you're defending the game against stuff I'm identifying that is room for improvement. Since people are lazy and thus didn't understand the story, and you can't prevent the first, you need to ask "How do we compensate for their laziness?". That's a good design, idiot-proofing.

No. That's not good design. That's bad design. You tell your story in cutscenes. This is an RPG we're talking about here, not something like an FPS. If people are skipping the cutscenes then they're playing the wrong genre. Developers don't have to compensate for that (and they shouldn't).

Many things in FFXIII can be improved but what you said there isn't one of them.

Agreed, developers should always focus on making a game for their core fan base, but there is some wiggle room for making certain things easier to grasp for those that can't understand certain aspects. While I had no issues grasping the concept, I can understand how some could get confused. That being said, by no means should games, especially RPG's, be "idiot proofed". It's one thing to take in all the info and not get it, it's a whole different thing to not bother with the info that's presented for whatever reason and complain because you don't get it. What kind of games are we going to get if they go down the "idiot proofing" path?

It seems like people expect everything to be designed in such a way that it appeals to everyone. Bottom line is there's no such thing as a "wheelhouse" for everyone, just because it'll go over some peoples heads doesn't mean it needs to be dumbed down.

Compensating for people's laziness is what's wrong with this world, people are putting in less and less effort but expecting, or demanding, the same results... How does that make sense? Sure games shouldn't make you work too hard, or be too confusing, but XIII wasn't confusing enough that it should have been dumbed down. All it took was a few minutes of reading the data logs and seeing that fal'Cie=a God, l'Cie=human that the god chose to do a task(task=Focus), and Cie'th=people that didn't complete their Focus. It's all right there, it's spoken by the characters and it's in writing for further clarification...
---
There's no such thing as a Saint without a past, or a sinner without a future
#77MagnusmightPosted 6/11/2014 12:30:56 PM
People getting confused over fal'cie and l'cie lol
#78Pirate_DuckPosted 6/12/2014 5:37:34 PM
Confusion over terminology would have been easily overcome if there were decent NPCs and HUB areas for the exposition to be fleshed out.

You know, like in every single other FF before FFXIII.
---
Dayman! aaaAAAaaa Fighter of the Nightman! aaaAAAaaa Champion of the Sun! aaaAAAaaa His a master of karate and friendship for everyone!
#79CatMutoPosted 6/13/2014 3:13:05 AM
Pirate_Duck posted...
Confusion over terminology would have been easily overcome if there were decent NPCs and HUB areas for the exposition to be fleshed out.

Oh please, Fal'Cie and l'Cie and Cie'th are so freaking easy to figure out, there is no need for any exposition talk.

And I, quite frankly, am glad there was no freaking exposition man running around like Maechen telling me stuff I already figured out or stuff I do not care about.

C-A
---
"Argh! Social Interaction! Get it away from me!"
Touko, Danganronpa Abridged Thing
#80tam4g0Posted 6/13/2014 5:35:48 AM
Pirate_Duck posted...

If people can't understand terms because they are skipping cutscenes, I doubt they would take the time to talk to random NPCs. Even if they do talk to NPCs, they might just not pay attention to anything that's not highlighted.