Final Verdict: Should Toriyama be fired?

#81Strider102Posted 6/11/2014 2:29:11 PM
mrklarryd posted...
Strider102 posted...
Pirate_Duck posted...
mrklarryd posted...

I'm pretty sure that business is booming and Nomura designs a lot of that junk. If I'm right, there's probably nothing he can do, performance-wise, in the games division that could get him fired.

The World holds it's breath for FFXV's sale's figures...

I predict 5 million on day one. Cumulative sales at around 15-20 million worldwide within a month.

Unless the release is 5 years from now, there's no way. It could be the concensus best game ever made and there would still be no way.

Every single person who now owns a next gen system would need to buy 3 copies to hit these numbers. And even if the install base triples in the next two years, you'd need to sell 1 copy to each and every person that owns an xbone or a PS4. The chances of that happening are nonexistent.

And yet no one expected GTA5 to sell like it did in a few days. Besides I wasn't serious. The last part was the only serious one.
---
Strider is something of a god of equine necro-brutality. -Master ZED
#82COKEORPEPSI50Posted 6/11/2014 2:56:02 PM(edited)
Strider102 posted...
And yet no one expected GTA5 to sell like it did in a few days.

Was anybody really surprised GTAV sold as much as it did? Not only was GTA already really popular, the amount of money put into the development and marketing of GTAV was insane. It was estimated at about $265 million.
---
https://soundcloud.com/cokeorpepsi50/noel-asks-serah-about-what
#83mrklarrydPosted 6/11/2014 3:22:50 PM
Strider102 posted...
mrklarryd posted...
Strider102 posted...
Pirate_Duck posted...
mrklarryd posted...

I'm pretty sure that business is booming and Nomura designs a lot of that junk. If I'm right, there's probably nothing he can do, performance-wise, in the games division that could get him fired.

I predict 5 million on day one. Cumulative sales at around 15-20 million worldwide within a month.

Unless the release is 5 years from now, there's no way. It could be the concensus best game ever made and there would still be no way.

Every single person who now owns a next gen system would need to buy 3 copies to hit these numbers. And even if the install base triples in the next two years, you'd need to sell 1 copy to each and every person that owns an xbone or a PS4. The chances of that happening are nonexistent.

And yet no one expected GTA5 to sell like it did in a few days. Besides I wasn't serious. The last part was the only serious one.

End of cycle, same type of game, it was a very good bet that GTA5 sold the way San Andreas did or better in the same circumstances.

But fair enough.
#84Strider102Posted 6/11/2014 3:56:16 PM
COKEORPEPSI50 posted...
Strider102 posted...
And yet no one expected GTA5 to sell like it did in a few days.

Was anybody really surprised GTAV sold as much as it did? Not only was GTA already really popular, the amount of money put into the development and marketing of GTAV was insane. It was estimated at about $265 million.

True GTA in itself is incredibly popular, but not over a billion in a few days popular. San Andreas on its own sold a couple million IIRC. Rock* never expected to sell as much as GTAV did so quickly, and they even commented about it.

I'm not saying FFXV will sell as much as quick. But I cannot ignore the possibility.
---
Strider is something of a god of equine necro-brutality. -Master ZED
#85pure_filthPosted 6/11/2014 6:32:30 PM
yes, i honestly feel like this game was worse than a chore. i out so many hours into ff13 and honestly still think it's the best one since ps1 days. 13-2 was good and had a lot of potential, but lightning returns was a serious chore to finish!!!!
---
psn: THE_bigler
#86Pirate_DuckPosted 6/11/2014 9:28:19 PM
Strider102 posted...
Pirate_Duck posted...
mrklarryd posted...

Followed by people saying Nomura should be fired because it's not Final Fantasy.

It depends on how many PS4s and XBones are around, but you're probably right that it will sell squillions, regardless of Lightning's saga.

What would be interesting is if it has a near-universal critical reception, like FFXII, but doesn't have the sales to match (relative to other first-gen FFs).

But yeah, there will be b***hing galore :P
---
Dayman! aaaAAAaaa Fighter of the Nightman! aaaAAAaaa Champion of the Sun! aaaAAAaaa His a master of karate and friendship for everyone!