Farming Unappraised Items to get Ethers and Turbo Ethers (Spoilers?)

#1GKillah36Posted 6/10/2014 8:33:54 AM
So I know I can have my Unappraised Items appraised to get Ethers and Turbo Ethers, but what exactly are the conditions? Is it random with a very low percentage of getting them?

I think I read somewhere that for 50 Unappraised Items you get a Turbo Ether. Is that right? Does that mean I need to bring 50 to get appraised in one go or every 50 will always yield a Turbo Ether regardless of how many I get appraised at any one time? Is there a similar number for regular Ethers?

I would really love to know since I have A LOT of spare time with no quests to really worry about. If I can get a few Ethers or Turbo Ethers this way then I won't feel so bad wasting 4-5 Ethers on Aeronite. He's a complete joke if you use Overdrive like crazy. Otherwise, if Ethers and Turbo Ethers are that rare, then I'm going to keep fighting Aeronite until I only use 2-3 Ethers on him.

Thanks everyone.

P.S. - I'd rather not use the Outerworld.
#2jeffhengPosted 6/10/2014 8:53:54 AM
you can bring them one at a time if you like. the special items are rewarded once per playthrough.
#3schwarze2011Posted 6/10/2014 6:57:36 PM
the easiest way to obtain (Turbo) Ethers is Outerworld. things like these are traditionally scarce in FF series. Outerworld just made them much easier to get, but even that will not help once people move on from this game and stop posting stuffs.

i wonder what made you burn so much ether at Aeronite. which version did you fight? Normal or Hard? Chaos or Non-chaos?
#4GKillah36(Topic Creator)Posted 6/11/2014 8:01:46 AM
jeffheng posted...
you can bring them one at a time if you like. the special items are rewarded once per playthrough.

Wait... So it doesn't matter if I collect 4,000 Unappraised Items or 50? I only get an Ether at like the 10th or something and a Turbo Ether at like the 50th? Then I don't get any more after that at all? I would love it if someone could confirm this.

schwarze2011 posted...
the easiest way to obtain (Turbo) Ethers is Outerworld. things like these are traditionally scarce in FF series. Outerworld just made them much easier to get, but even that will not help once people move on from this game and stop posting stuffs.

i wonder what made you burn so much ether at Aeronite. which version did you fight? Normal or Hard? Chaos or Non-chaos?

Thanks, but do you know anything about the Unappraised Item stuff?

And I fought on Normal and it was a non-Chaos one. I only killed him twice, so there definitely is room for improvement for me to switch up and optimize my schemata and try over and over again. I didn't use a Bravery Potion or any En- potions or anything. I'm guessing if I do all of that then I can easily hit him for like 200,000 - 250,000 per Artemis's Arrows when he's staggered. Any other tips to kill him quicker and conserve my Ethers?
#5schwarze2011Posted 6/11/2014 9:01:33 AM
GKillah36 posted...
Thanks, but do you know anything about the Unappraised Item stuff?

And I fought on Normal and it was a non-Chaos one. I only killed him twice, so there definitely is room for improvement for me to switch up and optimize my schemata and try over and over again. I didn't use a Bravery Potion or any En- potions or anything. I'm guessing if I do all of that then I can easily hit him for like 200,000 - 250,000 per Artemis's Arrows when he's staggered. Any other tips to kill him quicker and conserve my Ethers?

mmm, not sure about unappraised item. looks random to me from my personal experience. I gave him 10+ items and obtained an Ether on my 1st playthrough. then I gave him about the same amount on my 2nd, and no Ether.

the good news for you is that you do not need any EP to kill non-Chaos Aeronite in Normal mode. first of all: ditch Soldier of Peace. Artemis Arrows will not show its true potential at your current state. use Magic Slash from Mi'qote Dress instead. Flesh Render would be a cost-effective choice. Buy Morgenstern or Demon Knife if you can afford it, as they will be useful for Ereshkigal, too. Chaos Revenge is fine if you can't manage to get any of the three. equip Locket Pendant. equip a Collector Catalog if you have slots to spare. and yes, drink any En- and Bravery potions (Nektar of the Gods Omega would be better and Hero's Potion the best).

you will deal around 3 x 100k normal hits + 2 x 350k finale per combo with perfect attack. no need to panic, you have more than enough time to bust his 9.9 m HP without any overclock. the best time to re-apply deprotect and imperil is when he uses aeroga/thundaga as those will struck several hits during which you must stay in magic immunity schema anyway.
#6GKillah36(Topic Creator)Posted 6/11/2014 11:04:57 AM
schwarze2011 posted...
mmm, not sure about unappraised item. looks random to me from my personal experience. I gave him 10+ items and obtained an Ether on my 1st playthrough. then I gave him about the same amount on my 2nd, and no Ether.

the good news for you is that you do not need any EP to kill non-Chaos Aeronite in Normal mode. first of all: ditch Soldier of Peace. Artemis Arrows will not show its true potential at your current state. use Magic Slash from Mi'qote Dress instead. Flesh Render would be a cost-effective choice. Buy Morgenstern or Demon Knife if you can afford it, as they will be useful for Ereshkigal, too. Chaos Revenge is fine if you can't manage to get any of the three. equip Locket Pendant. equip a Collector Catalog if you have slots to spare. and yes, drink any En- and Bravery potions (Nektar of the Gods Omega would be better and Hero's Potion the best).

you will deal around 3 x 100k normal hits + 2 x 350k finale per combo with perfect attack. no need to panic, you have more than enough time to bust his 9.9 m HP without any overclock. the best time to re-apply deprotect and imperil is when he uses aeroga/thundaga as those will struck several hits during which you must stay in magic immunity schema anyway.

Ah okay. I'll farm and experiment and see what happens. Like I said, I have a few days to kill hahaha.

Whoa, I don't need to use ANY EP? I feel embarrassed now. I really need to step up my fighting skills lol. In my defense though, I only fought him 3 times!

I'm confused though: what do you mean by Artemis's Arrows not showing its true potential "at your current state?" I'll definitely try your Mi'qote Dress/Magic Slash strategy though.

Also, when you say "drink any En- and Bravery potions," they don't stack, do they? Or can I actually drink two different En- potions and a Bravery potion to do even crazier damage?

And excellent point about recasting Deprotect and Imperil when he uses Aeroga/Thundaga. Every second saved counts!
#7FishOfPainPosted 6/11/2014 11:45:54 AM
GKillah36 posted...
I'm confused though: what do you mean by Artemis's Arrows not showing its true potential "at your current state?" I'll definitely try your Mi'qote Dress/Magic Slash strategy though.

Also, when you say "drink any En- and Bravery potions," they don't stack, do they? Or can I actually drink two different En- potions and a Bravery potion to do even crazier damage?

I'm guessing he means that since AA draws it's potential damage from the power of your Heavy Slash, it just isn't a good Damage Per Second dealer now. Though the first time I fought him, I changed between that and Mi'qote during the damage-dealing-phase, worked pretty good, though I needed some overclocking.

The potions do stack. Bravery gives bravery, and En* gives En*. So yes, crazy damage. :D Combine that with a few ailments on him, and you should see your damage shoot up through the ROOF man!
---
"You're a jerk, Dent"
Wowbagger from The hitchhikers guide to the galaxy
#8fate484Posted 6/11/2014 5:59:35 PM
no it's not random you get the ether and turbo ether once a playthrough then that's it I've given exact amounts on multiple playthroughs and always got them then in a single playthrough after getting both I've continued to give him 99 5 times and just got the regular junk

and nothing wrong with using a bunch of ethers on aeronite I actually put some effort into it my first time only used 1 ether I got my satisfaction for beating the hardest boss 2nd and 3rd time for the accessory I used up all my reg ethers get it over with since I keep rarer better stuff in my inventory
#9schwarze2011Posted 6/12/2014 5:39:28 AM
GKillah36 posted...

Ah okay. I'll farm and experiment and see what happens. Like I said, I have a few days to kill hahaha.

Whoa, I don't need to use ANY EP? I feel embarrassed now. I really need to step up my fighting skills lol. In my defense though, I only fought him 3 times!

And excellent point about recasting Deprotect and Imperil when he uses Aeroga/Thundaga. Every second saved counts!

your "current state" the way I see it: mediocre to terrible Heavy Slash and low ATB recovery rate.

as FishOfPain explained, AA draws its damage output from Heavy Slash. Heavy Slash Lv. * (star) max out at 12.00 Attack Power. the best you can get in Normal mode 1st playthrough is a maxed Lv. 3 at 41 ATB cost or a min Lv. 4 at 50 ATB cost. Mi'qote Dress, meanwhile, gives you a maxed Magic Slash outright. now you can't compare the two apple to apple, but you can see that the latter is already at its full potential, while there's still plenty of work for the former.

AA is one of the worst ATB eater in the game. SoP garb gives you maxed ATB bar (200), but it initiates at zero ATB. you need to push your ATB recovery rate to the limit (200) if you expect good DPS from AA, otherwise you will find yourself out of ATB all the time. the most significant ATB recovery booster, ironically, is the accessory that Aeronite drops: Falcon Charm (+70 ATB Recovery).

Magic Slash, meanwhile, is at its strongest when an enemy is weak to BOTH physical and magical attacks when staggered. The most popular and exploited victims are Aeronite and Ereshkigal.

Bravery does stack with En- buffs. An En-buff does not stack with another (like Enaero with Enfire). One more important thing: potion effect time DOES stack. let's say a Bravery potion grants you 30-second Bravery, you will still get full 90 seconds if you drink three of them in rapid succession. in other words, the timer does not reset when you drink another pot before the ongoing effect wears off.

once you have done Aeronite without any EP, why don't you try Chaos version if 100k difference in gil rewards means a lot to you. you will need to OC for this version, but I believe it can be done without using any ether if you jump into the battle with full EP.
#10GKillah36(Topic Creator)Posted 6/12/2014 5:44:10 AM
Well, uhh, that was very anticlimactic LOL. I guess in this case 4th time's a charm.

I killed him easily and this time I didn't use a single Ether and only used Overclock 4 times with the 8 EP that I went into the battle with. The Mi'qote Dress/Magic Slash strategy worked really, really well. Thanks schwarze2011! I didn't even drink any Bravery or En- potions lol.

--------------------------------------------------

fate484 posted...
no it's not random you get the ether and turbo ether once a playthrough then that's it I've given exact amounts on multiple playthroughs and always got them then in a single playthrough after getting both I've continued to give him 99 5 times and just got the regular junk

I guess this doesn't matter as much to me anymore since I didn't use up any Ethers on Aeronite like I said, but this is still very, very good to know. Thanks a lot man. You just saved me a crap load of time. I would have definitely tried this on my own hahaha.