Most difficult FF enemy?

#1borak1985Posted 8/5/2014 10:00:29 PM
Which enemy was the most difficult to face in the entire Final Fantasy series?

I've played every game with the exception of half of X-2, and the final 1/4th of VI (which I'm playing now), Chaos Aeronite from LR, and the dark Aeons from X.

Without a shadow of a doubt, the answer for me is Iron Giant from FF IV. And it's honestly not close. Maybe because I played the entire game on an iPad, but it was ridiculously challenging to beat him because his commands are just too fast to process for me on that device. It gets worse when he unleashes Divine Judgement. I play this guy and even after playing it for over a year, I still win only 5-10% of the time.

Second would have to be Gilgamesh from XIII-2. For some strange reason, Chichu doesn't do half of the damage output as he is supposed to, so I have to beat this schmuck by brute force which is a tireless pain. I win about 40% of the time.

Third I guess would be Typhon from XIII-2 as well. Maybe it's something with the battle arena for me that's giving me troubles. I win about 50% of the time.

I, II, III, V (Neo Shinryu was difficult until you found out how to beat him then it's easy), VI (so far), VII (Emerald and Ruby are comically easy), IX, X (NA version), XII, XIII (unless you wanted to face Vercingetorix on Level 11 Crystarium before going to Eden) had no enemies that were really difficult.

VIII had Omega Weapon which was easy because you could exploit Selphie's "The End" and kill him in one hit. Otherwise he would be 2nd or 3rd difficult.
#2phatpenguinPosted 8/6/2014 1:14:15 AM(edited)
Ozma due to randomness or Yiazmat due to his high HP.
---
You have read a smart post. You receive 5 intelligence points
#3CatMutoPosted 8/6/2014 3:17:45 AM
Are we talking GOOD difficult or BAD difficult?

In terms of bad difficulty - so bad that they flat out feel broken and just made broken so we'd get frustrated while playing: Caius.
He's broken, which makes his character just all the more annoying. Next to the annoyance of being immortal and constantly coming back.

In terms of good difficulty - nice challenge, without being easy to exploit or ripping hair out in frustration: ...can't think of one right now. I'll brainstorm a bit and come back later, see if I can remember a good, difficult fight that is a joy to battle.

C-A
---
"Yahoo! Yeah, you bastards worked out who the totally-not-obvious killer was! Good going there, you frickin' geniuses!" - Monokuma, DRAT
#4borak1985(Topic Creator)Posted 8/6/2014 7:44:04 AM(edited)
CatMuto posted...
Are we talking GOOD difficult or BAD difficult?

In terms of bad difficulty - so bad that they flat out feel broken and just made broken so we'd get frustrated while playing: Caius.
He's broken, which makes his character just all the more annoying. Next to the annoyance of being immortal and constantly coming back.

In terms of good difficulty - nice challenge, without being easy to exploit or ripping hair out in frustration: ...can't think of one right now. I'll brainstorm a bit and come back later, see if I can remember a good, difficult fight that is a joy to battle.

C-A

Which Caius are you talking about? You fight him like 4 times in 2 games. I don't think any of his forms were particularly bad, though.

For the commenter earlier:
Ozma wasn't too bad in my opinion. If you use Jump consistently and keep your party relatively healthy, he falls pretty fast. Yiazmat wasn't difficult, just excruciatingly long. I've seen someone kill him on a 6 level team of 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3 using Fomalhauts.
#5rikkufreakPosted 8/6/2014 6:23:01 PM
XIII-2's DLC. With the exception of a select few, they present a good challenge that requires the attention of the player. You can't really automate (in the sense that you can create a foolproof strategy which for all intents and purposes, runs itself) those battles like many of the so called "superbosses" from the previous FFs.
---
Main PSN: AerinK | Lyon | 200 Ranger [Deadly Sharpshooter]
Alt PSN: Ren9895 | Zayne | 136 Mage [Balanced with emphasis on support]
#6kjcan1Posted 8/6/2014 7:42:33 PM
Yiazmat.

No other enemy in all of FF has ever made me want to get away from playing an FF game. I think I fought him for 6 or something foolish hours ( I try to forget it ). My fingers hurts at the end of it. I was just sick & tired of playing.
#7BeatenByBulbaPosted 8/6/2014 9:52:26 PM
rikkufreak posted...
XIII-2's DLC. With the exception of a select few, they present a good challenge that requires the attention of the player. You can't really automate (in the sense that you can create a foolproof strategy which for all intents and purposes, runs itself) those battles like many of the so called "superbosses" from the previous FFs.

You sort of can. Build up stagger gauge, ensure they have debuffs (imperial/deprot/deshell), ensure you have all necessary buffs (activating necessary feral links if possible), ensure high HP so adrenaline is active, stabilise the stagger gauge if necessary and then stagger and unload with triple com was pretty much a good, repeatable strategy for all the tough DLC enemies.

Having said that, I think those ones are definitely up there. I can't think of any that require particularly high dexterity, pretty much everything is easily beatable with the right strategy although some involve a high degree of tedium.
#8Moeman_Posted 8/7/2014 5:04:55 AM
A tie between Trema and Ereshkigal for me.
---
"Be confident, think positive!"
#9rikkufreakPosted 8/7/2014 10:48:27 AM
BeatenByBulba posted...
rikkufreak posted...

You sort of can. Build up stagger gauge, ensure they have debuffs (imperial/deprot/deshell), ensure you have all necessary buffs (activating necessary feral links if possible), ensure high HP so adrenaline is active, stabilise the stagger gauge if necessary and then stagger and unload with triple com was pretty much a good, repeatable strategy for all the tough DLC enemies.

Having said that, I think those ones are definitely up there. I can't think of any that require particularly high dexterity, pretty much everything is easily beatable with the right strategy although some involve a high degree of tedium.

Did you just prove my point? lol.
---
Main PSN: AerinK | Lyon | 200 Ranger [Deadly Sharpshooter]
Alt PSN: Ren9895 | Zayne | 136 Mage [Balanced with emphasis on support]
#10BeatenByBulbaPosted 8/7/2014 4:59:29 PM
All the 13-2 superbosses have an automatic process... I thought your point was they didn't?