Lightning is too skinny

#61TracinyaPosted 8/22/2014 6:25:29 AM(edited)
tam4g0 posted...
kayoticdreamz posted...
point is if you are going have a woman hero.....there better be a good reason she can take on things 5 times her size and even with a good reason it can still look strange just because logically it doesn't make sense.

We see male heroes taking on things 5 times their size all the time but nobody complains.

Thank you.

AND Strider too.

Always annoyed by that train of thought.
---
Choco-Boco?
#62thefernusPosted 8/22/2014 6:42:46 AM
Tracinya posted...
tam4g0 posted...
kayoticdreamz posted...
point is if you are going have a woman hero.....there better be a good reason she can take on things 5 times her size and even with a good reason it can still look strange just because logically it doesn't make sense.

We see male heroes taking on things 5 times their size all the time but nobody complains.

Thank you.

AND Strider too.

I find Lightning a credible hero but Serah not really, after all she has no combat experience other than being 'trained' by Lightning and then she's beating the tar out of Gogmagog on the second day of her adventure, and then Atlas... I like her as hero anyway though because her game is like FFX-2 to me aside from the (spoilers), for the most part it's light fun not meant to be taken overly seriously and it's amusing to see her inexplicable feats as a noob.
#63tommy101Posted 8/22/2014 8:48:47 AM
thefernus posted...
I find Lightning a credible hero but Serah not really, after all she has no combat experience other than being 'trained' by Lightning and then she's beating the tar out of Gogmagog on the second day of her adventure, and then Atlas... I like her as hero anyway though because her game is like FFX-2 to me aside from the (spoilers), for the most part it's light fun not meant to be taken overly seriously and it's amusing to see her inexplicable feats as a noob.

As I keep saying, I think there was something in the Historia Crux water ;), or it could be the bizarre garb that latched onto her at the start of the game too, as it's never explained about, before I got further in the game, I thought it could have been something sent to Serah by her futureself, or Lightning, could still have been, but we don't actually know for a fact!

That said, I did think of another possibility, that it was something to do with receiving the Eyes of Etro, is the ability to see the future the only thing is bestows onto someone, or are there more perks, plus, I've thought of something else, mog, who doubles as her weapon, that might be how she's able to fight!

Still, it's a work of fiction, as I've said above, we're probably not going to get an official answer!
---
The Tenth Doctor: It used to be easy ... you could hop between realities, home in time for tea.
#64tam4g0Posted 8/22/2014 12:32:50 PM
thefernus posted...
I find Lightning a credible hero but Serah not really, after all she has no combat experience other than being 'trained' by Lightning and then she's beating the tar out of Gogmagog on the second day of her adventure, and then Atlas...

xiii-2's events happened 3 years after the ending of xiii. So Serah's been staying on Pulse for pretty long and she probably toughened up from that. Snow and team Nora might have trained her as well.
---
Currently playing: Dark Souls 2, Ryu ga Gotoku Ishin
#65Strider102Posted 8/22/2014 1:00:26 PM
thefernus posted...
Tracinya posted...
tam4g0 posted...
kayoticdreamz posted...

Thank you.

AND Strider too.

It's a videogame. I could look through every FF, hell I could look through close to every game and find moments where characters take on unlikely odds. Why is this even an issue?
---
Currently Playing: Assassin's Creed IV
Waiting for: KH HD 2.5, MGSV:TPP
#66tommy101Posted 8/22/2014 4:48:59 PM
tam4g0 posted...
thefernus posted...
I find Lightning a credible hero but Serah not really, after all she has no combat experience other than being 'trained' by Lightning and then she's beating the tar out of Gogmagog on the second day of her adventure, and then Atlas...

xiii-2's events happened 3 years after the ending of xiii. So Serah's been staying on Pulse for pretty long and she probably toughened up from that. Snow and team Nora might have trained her as well.

True, I thought of Serah getting extra training from NORA, actually wasn't she supposed to be close to Lebreau, according to of the dialogue? Plus the other thing is that when people settled down on Pulse, some found they were able to use magic, wasn' it like "something in the soil"? It might have also heightened other abilities, added to the fact New Bohdum wasn't in the safer areas of Pulse, where the majority of Cocoon's residents had moved to?
---
The Tenth Doctor: It used to be easy ... you could hop between realities, home in time for tea.
#67thefernusPosted 8/22/2014 8:38:42 PM(edited)
Strider102 posted...
thefernus posted...
Tracinya posted...
tam4g0 posted...
kayoticdreamz posted...

Thank you.

AND Strider too.

It's a videogame. I could look through every FF, hell I could look through close to every game and find moments where characters take on unlikely odds. Why is this even an issue?

Cause Serah's game stretches suspension of disbelief from the get go more than the average with her 2 first bosses already being pretty epic scale while she is not established as either being extremely skilled or having overt superhuman powers - aside from being able to cast spells - which are usually used to justify such.

Ex. Lightning in XIII is presented from the get-go as highly skilled, experienced and confident, Serah is presented the very opposite way, then Lightning and the other get turned into L'Cie making them overtly superhuman, meanwhile Serah gets explicit in-story explanation for her continued astounding feats.

Like I said though, I like her that way, epic girl power lol.
#68IightningzPosted 8/22/2014 8:57:35 PM
Haven't played 10, but aren't Wakka and Tidus just blitzball players?

Anyway, in canon and out of gameplay she probably got carried by Noel earlier on. Toriyama did say something like "Hope does not have the makings of a hero, unlike Lightning or Noel" implying that Noel is extremely powerful. In fact, Noel trumped Light even after she became the Savior.

And Serah was a L'cie for some time, so she must have been given magic powers, she just didn't use them.

Speculation wise: perhaps she had training from Nora/Snow. They probably needed to fight some trash when building up towns on Pulse.
---
Lightning Collection: http://imgur.com/a/ibrsD#0
Tumblr: http://kaiho-sha.tumblr.com/
#69RX_93_Nu_GundamPosted 8/22/2014 9:29:06 PM
Iightningz posted...

Anyway, in canon and out of gameplay she probably got carried by Noel earlier on. Toriyama did say something like "Hope does not have the makings of a hero, unlike Lightning or Noel" implying that Noel is extremely powerful. In fact, Noel trumped Light even after she became the Savior.

And Serah was a L'cie for some time, so she must have been given magic powers, she just didn't use them.

Speculation wise: perhaps she had training from Nora/Snow. They probably needed to fight some trash when building up towns on Pulse.

Maybe Light trained her before she became a L'cie <shrugs>
#70CatMutoPosted 8/23/2014 3:33:04 AM
Iightningz posted...

Indeed and Tidus is shown to be... not that great with a sword. (First thing he does when holding it is fall on his ass) But blitzball is a pretty strenuous sport, just look at the ball. It's a ball that is heavy. It's not floating in the water, so it's likely somehow filled with led or coated with it. Throwing that through the water takes strength.
And look at majority of the blitzball players' physiques. Those are muscles. At the very least, their bodies are trained to do strenuous things. Wakka using the blitzball as a weapon of choice isn't just cause he's familiar with it, but it also hurts a ton.

But her not using them means she didn't train them. Also, her l'Cie status disappeared. (Although according to the datalog in XIII-2, magic has become somewhat a norm for some normal people, so they, like Sera for example, can use magic without being a l'Cie)

C-A
---
"Yahoo! Yeah, you bastards worked out who the totally-not-obvious killer was! Good going there, you frickin' geniuses!" - Monokuma, DRAT