I don't know how many of you guys knows this...

#11VRX3000Posted 4/6/2014 10:19:36 AM
The problem is...is that those aren't focused. They take "western" and use it to try and blend 20 countries into one character. A "cowboy" character and a German character and a French character and a Spanish one will all look different, despite all being categorized as the "west."
---
I'm really starting to think mods hate me. no...it's official now.
#12tapohPosted 4/7/2014 5:42:58 AM
The outfits themselves aren't bad, but the face is far less elegant than I am used to.

What's more, for all the trouble of doing a redesign the artist went through it still doesn't read as particularly "Western" to my eye. Just more "Mad Max From Thunder Dome" punk.

Did they mean more cowboy like when they said "Western" or did they mean not so "Japanese"?
---
"Fair is fair."
#13GigerSupremePosted 4/8/2014 6:35:55 AM
thank god kamiya is a man of conviction and fought against sega's terrible ideas.
#14GigerSupremePosted 4/8/2014 6:37:22 AM
VRX3000 posted...
The problem is...is that those aren't focused. They take "western" and use it to try and blend 20 countries into one character. A "cowboy" character and a German character and a French character and a Spanish one will all look different, despite all being categorized as the "west."

pretty much when anyone says more "western", they mean anything but Japanese i guess.

i never understood why japanese style is so wrong, or why people have an aversion to it.
#15tapohPosted 4/9/2014 7:52:52 AM
GigerSupreme posted...
VRX3000 posted...

pretty much when anyone says more "western", they mean anything but Japanese i guess.

i never understood why japanese style is so wrong, or why people have an aversion to it.

Yeah, see, I agree that this is way too unfocused. Which is weird, because Bayonetta is the type of character that skip from genre and looks to other genres and looks with minimal effort. I have zero problem with the idea of "Cowboy" Bayo. Or "Opera" Bayo or so on and so forth. But these designs don't really look like they had a theme to them. Until I was told that they were supposed to be Western, I just thought they were just (admittedly good) fan art of a slightly more "Punk Rocker" Bayonetta.
---
"Fair is fair."
#16glyde69Posted 4/10/2014 8:08:40 AM
Ugh, Bayonetta fans might be the worst community in gaming. Listen to yourselves.
---
Gamer Tag: Wally Digital PSN name: Wally Digital Wii Code:2550-7930-3602-5785
#17tapohPosted 4/11/2014 1:54:22 PM
I'm confused. We're horrible because we don't like some art?
---
"Fair is fair."
#18Dark SymphonyPosted 4/16/2014 9:51:02 PM
LegendaryUman posted...
The only source that exists is the website of the artist who claims that Sega commissioned these drawings from him. As far as I know no source backing this up exists.

As for people who are getting all crazy about it, I don't see a reason to get crazy about something that never actually happened. I don't really see how Sega could even have done it as it probably would have been the biggest localization change in a game in a long, long time, and we should remember that Bayonetta ended up coming over here with zero changes from the Japanese version. Even the voices were picked by Platinum.

"Biggest localization change?"

I think they were thinking a DmC style change if this was true.
#19LegendaryUmanPosted 4/17/2014 7:04:49 AM
Dark Symphony posted...
LegendaryUman posted...
The only source that exists is the website of the artist who claims that Sega commissioned these drawings from him. As far as I know no source backing this up exists.

As for people who are getting all crazy about it, I don't see a reason to get crazy about something that never actually happened. I don't really see how Sega could even have done it as it probably would have been the biggest localization change in a game in a long, long time, and we should remember that Bayonetta ended up coming over here with zero changes from the Japanese version. Even the voices were picked by Platinum.

"Biggest localization change?"

I think they were thinking a DmC style change if this was true.

Who do you mean by "they"? The artist?

In any case, in case there was any confusion, what was saying is that the artist says he drew these for Sega because they wanted "a take on Westernizing Bayonetta". I don't think this art was meant to influence Platinum's development of the Japanese version of the game in any way (they'd probably already decided on her looks by this point), and this definitely wouldn't have been a whole new game in the series outsourced to a different company like DmC was (Bayonetta wasn't a franchise yet). This would have been a change made to Bayonetta's character design for the localized version of the game, if the idea even went that far (who knows what Sega's intentions really were if they did indeed ask for this). Making a change that big to a (post-2006 generation) game to make it appeal more to a Western audience is something I can't say I've ever seen done, to my knowledge. They would have to change every one of Bayonetta's animations, the way her costume comes off and her hair moves when she summons demons, among other things. I've seen costume changes for Western releases but never this drastically. It seems like an unfeasible idea.
---
PSN: TheMightyMonarch
Crusader for optimism on The Last Guardian and Bayonetta 2 boards. ~ Official Frank Booth of the Blue Velvet boards
#20Dark SymphonyPosted 4/19/2014 11:25:32 PM
I think you're reaching a bit too far in trying to separate Bayonetta from other games in order to show some reason it couldn't have been changed when it very well could have.

1: A franchise is anything that exists. You don't need a sequel to have a franchise. Just releasing a sound track or some posters gives you an IP with a "history." Mirror's Edge is getting rebooted in it's second game.

2: None of that other stuff matters. If they wanted to Westernize Bayonetta they could and would have and it would be no different than when they do it with other games. Though it would have most likely been really bad... like when it's done with most other games that rely on a certain flair and trade it out for cheap generic backdrops and ideas.

3: Seriously, what does Post-2006 have to do with anything? Sounds like more immaterial qualifiers being placed.

My point is that westernizing Bayonetta wouldn't actually be the biggest change or overhaul of a franchise ever. That was DmC. And Devil Kings before that.

In fact, I think it was the creator of Bayonetta who did the interview championing all the changed to Devil Kings (that made it way worse).

Interesting...