A few questions from someone new to the series.

#11Desrtw0lfPosted 9/23/2012 1:05:00 PM
Desrtw0lf posted...
Accrovideogames posted...
I'm not worried about not liking the games. I also never give up playing midway just because I find the game boring. I even had the patience to finish Sonic the Hedgehog 2006.

They say that Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker is very similar to Monster Hunter and I really like the former. One of my friends also played Monster Hunter 3 on the Wii shortly after its release in North America and told me that I should get it. He and I are like a square and diamond, I like all the games he likes but he doesn't like all the games I like.

Oh okay. I guess it's sort of like Peace Walker. Although from my experience PW custom battles can be harder than Monster Hunter bosses. Still having trouble with a custom chopper...
But I'm getting off-topic, so I'll stick with your questions.

A few questions still remain:

1. What is the difference between Monster Hunter (PS2), Monster Hunter G (PS2/Wii) and Monster Hunter Freedom (PSP)?

From what I can tell, Monster Hunter G is an upgraded version of the original Monster Hunter. Meaning it adds new monsters and new areas. If you are confused about what makes G games different, I think Capcom once stated 'It's like the 'super' in Super Street Fighter' or something like that.
Monster Hunter Freedom is Monster Hunter Portable, which is an upgraded Monster Hunter G.

2. What is the difference between Monster Hunter 2 (PS2), Monster Hunter Freedom 2 (PSP) and Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (PSP)?

Well, from what I can tell, MH2 is just the sequel to MH. Nothing terribly exciting there, aside from the fact that, you know, it's a sequel! Loads of new content. MHF2 is Monster Hunter Portable 2nd in Japan. The sequel to Monster Hunter Portable, it has about the same content as MH2, except it doesn't have Yama Tsukami and adds Tigrex and Akantor in it's place.

I have lots of info on MHFU. FU is MH Portable 2nd G. Again, it's an upgraded version of it's predecessor. FU is sort of the 'greatest hits' of the second gen (MH2 and the Freedom games). It has tons of content; just about everything from the second gen, plus two Frontier monsters: Hypnocatrice and Laviosoth.

3. What is the difference between Monster Hunter 3 (Wii), Monster Hunter Portable 3 HD (PS3) and Monster Hunter Ultimate (U)?

Alright, MH Tri is the third MH in the main series. Portable 3rd is a, well, portable expansion to Tri. It has a bucket full of new monsters and weapons not seen in Tri, but at the cost of losing water combat. It's also been argued that it's too easy, but I wouldn't know. The HD version just makes it HD and gives it online, IIRC.

3G is the Japanese release of Ultimate(3DS). It is the defining game of the third gen. It has almost everything Tri and P3rd had. There're only a few things missing from 3G, which boils down to Tigrex and Amatsumagatsuchi Two monsters isn't that much of a loss, even if Tigrex is pretty good. Not sure on how Amatsu is, though.

Anyway I hope I cast a little clarity on the series.

Fixed with data from the wiki.
---
-Desert Wolf
#12RandyNotaLocaPosted 9/23/2012 11:01:05 PM
I'm in the same shoes as you TC, but I have at least played one MH game before, and still owned and that is MH PS2.

I want to get Tri now but I don't know if that is too late.
---
Current Games Playing: Suikoden III, and Dragon Quest V DS
PSN- cangriman87
#13Accrovideogames(Topic Creator)Posted 9/26/2012 9:34:04 PM
tw1g_007 posted...
Its not like you are gonna get a PSP and play those games anyway.

Why are you assuming that I don't have a PSP? I've had one for years now.

Thanks for the information Desrtw0lf. I take it there are no absolute definitive versions because even upgraded versions have some content removed, albeit very few. I'm thinking about getting Monster Hunter Freedom and Monster Hunter Freedom Unite for the PSP because they're the versions with the most content and I don't mind the lower resolution too much. However, I'm not really comfortable with the idea of playing these games with only one analog stick.

As for the third generation, I presume that Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (U) is the superior version. It's known in Japan as Monster Hunter 3G HD, which is basically the 3DS version remastered in HD with better controls. After reading what you said about the 3DS version lacking water combat, I made a small research to know if whether or not it was re-included in the Wii U version and it appears to be the case.

I definitively plan on buying Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate for the Wii U. I'm still not sure about the first two though.
---
Vote for your favorite Wii U game: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/631516-wii-u/64034635
#14zankokuryuPosted 9/27/2012 10:57:05 AM
I would recommend Tri and Freedom Unite for purchases. If you have freedom unite there's no need for freedom 2, it's literally the exact same game but with expanded content.

I would also get tri so you can get some time in with the under water combat, the switch axe and the new mechanics of the other available weapons.
---
Kek!
GT: Roam Hylia - Name: Zankoku - Pawn: Tilani
#15Desrtw0lfPosted 9/27/2012 11:37:53 AM
Accrovideogames posted...
Thanks for the information Desrtw0lf. I take it there are no absolute definitive versions because even upgraded versions have some content removed, albeit very few. I'm thinking about getting Monster Hunter Freedom and Monster Hunter Freedom Unite for the PSP because they're the versions with the most content and I don't mind the lower resolution too much. However, I'm not really comfortable with the idea of playing these games with only one analog stick.

That's probably not a bad plan. It's pretty hard to get used to 'clawing', though. I'd recommend maybe trying to claw in Peace Walker with hunter controls to see how it feels. It's not undoable to claw, it can just be uncomfortable at times.

As for the third generation, I presume that Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (U) is the superior version. It's known in Japan as Monster Hunter 3G HD, which is basically the 3DS version remastered in HD with better controls. After reading what you said about the 3DS version lacking water combat, I made a small research to know if whether or not it was re-included in the Wii U version and it appears to be the case.

Actually, both the 3DS and Wii U versions have underwater combat. I must have forgotten to say that the only 3rd gen game lacking underwater combat is Portable 3rd. Sorry for the confusion.

However, Ultimate (U) will have FAR superior controls, unless you have a Circle Pad Pro for 3DS. If you have a CPP, they have about the same controls, just the 3DS version doesn't have online and isn't in HD. Ultimately (Pun completely intended) Ultimate (U) is better, unless you are a die-hard portable gaming, and can't use home consoles.

I definitively plan on buying Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate for the Wii U. I'm still not sure about the first two though.

Honestly you'd probably be best off Tr(i)ying Ultimate (U), and then deciding whether you want the older games. Just remember: The third gen has hit boxes that are near perfection. The older gens don't have that, and quite frankly, that's one of the main reasons they're hard.

Unless you can't wait for March, that is. Then you might want to try the older games.
---
-Desert Wolf