New to this type of game and wants to start in the good way

#11Oracion-AlphaPosted 11/1/2012 1:31:26 AM
If you get Tri then you'll basically have to play it all over again when you get 3 Ultimate, as the opening quests (Save for a few new additions) are exactly the same.
Like most have suggested, play MHFU.
#12AngryOldFeralPosted 11/1/2012 2:20:59 AM
MHFU is awesome in terms of the amount of content it has, but it's also the most frustrating. The awkward controls and certain monsters' broken-ass hitboxes make it pretty infuriating at times.

I kinda think MHP3rd would be a good starting point. It has many of Tri's streamlined controls (except for no 2nd thumbstick for the camera) and a lot of its content in terms of monsters and equipment, and its own content as well. The only thing that kinda sucks about it is it lacks in content compared to MHFU, and while they may have remedied the whole "broken hitboxes" issue they seem to have substituted it for P3rd's own brand of headache: freakishly accurate auto-tracking in some monsters. Like Rathalos's fireball...

The only thing that'd be problematic would be the Japanese-only language text. But there's ways around that.
---
Smoking Ghost / Feral Manx
Proud Outcast of Capcom Unity
#13LeftoverLotionPosted 11/1/2012 5:56:07 AM
FamliarStranger posted...
Hunting horn has long range attacks?

Is that what he ment? ._.

I thought he was talking about a weapon that does long range stuff that could also do up-close melee attacks. http://i.minus.com/iOqxvlxtCArS7.gif
---
I'ma fan art fiend.
http://i.minus.com/ie1NkuUbuwvul.bmp
#14CrmsnFatalis96Posted 11/1/2012 6:02:55 AM
Just to make one thing clear, if you're going to get a MH game before Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, do not get Monster Hunter Tri or Monster Hunter Portable 3rd. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate has all the content that MHTri has, and almost all the content that MHP3 has. You will just be wasting your time by playing those games a few months before you can get this game.
#15orBhsiFPosted 11/1/2012 8:53:08 AM
The solo aspect of MHFU, as well as things like the hitboxes will help you learn the game better than Tri would in my opinion.
#16MactationPosted 11/1/2012 6:04:10 PM
Don't start. Just run away, fast.
---
http://i40.tinypic.com/30nk97c.jpg
#17BangaaPridePosted 11/3/2012 12:22:18 AM
Okay, here's some more importsnt questions from veteran gamer...but newbie MonHunter.

My only real experience is Lord of Arcana and Phantasy Star Portable 2 would MH3 be harder then those? Because general consensus is this title 3G/ULT is actually THE best to start with as they wanted more people in.

How are the ranged options in this game: are they purely support? Can the gunner's hunt on their own?

Is there a way to try out weapons BEFORE going out to hunt to see how the weight/attack style so I'll know what to expect from the weapon before taking on a monster?

Now I heard no character levels...but there's a sure of a lot levels/stats to everything else!
Player skill matters to be sure....but then why all the stats to stuff then how much is your gear augmenting your hunts?

Finally, how elitist is MH community? It's got kind of a negative reputation.
---
Final Fantasy XIII-2: "No Time Is A Good Time For Goodbyes"
#18CrmsnFatalis96Posted 11/3/2012 9:20:50 AM
BangaaPride posted...
Okay, here's some more importsnt questions from veteran gamer...but newbie MonHunter.

My only real experience is Lord of Arcana and Phantasy Star Portable 2 would MH3 be harder then those? Because general consensus is this title 3G/ULT is actually THE best to start with as they wanted more people in.

From what I've heard, MH3U has the best balance of difficulty out of all the MH games. There are no cheap hitboxes, and the monsters still do quite a bit of damage (at least in G rank they do). While I have not played it yet, I think MH3U will be the best because it has a lot of monsters, it is the most polished MH game, and it has G rank quests.

How are the ranged options in this game: are they purely support? Can the gunner's hunt on their own?

Gunners can hunt on their own. I personally have never been able to use them effectively, but they can be good if you know what you're doing.

Is there a way to try out weapons BEFORE going out to hunt to see how the weight/attack style so I'll know what to expect from the weapon before taking on a monster?

Kind of. In Tri, there was a "free hunt" thing that you could do (I assume it's still in this game) where you just go out into the field and do whatever you want. If you want to test out weapons, this is a good way to do it.

Now I heard no character levels...but there's a sure of a lot levels/stats to everything else!
Player skill matters to be sure....but then why all the stats to stuff then how much is your gear augmenting your hunts?

The reason that there is such a high emphasis on player skill is because a beginner could use some of the best equipment in the game and still get beat by a early game monster; meanwhile an expert could use sub-par equipment and beat some of the toughest monsters.

While this is true, equipment still makes a huge difference. An expert could beat a monster in 10 minutes with end game equipment, and it would take him 20-30 minutes with bad equipment.

Finally, how elitist is MH community? It's got kind of a negative reputation.

There are definitely some elitists out there.

The main reason we have a bad reputation is because when people say they don't like the game, we use the argument that they would like it better if they got good at it. This is actually true, the games have a steep learning curve and it does not hold you hand in any way, so it's very cruel to beginners.

Unfortunately, people often will take this in the wrong way. It doesn't help that there are actually elitists out there who will actually come out and say "you only don't like it because you suck."

So yeah, there are plenty of elitists, but there are also plenty of people who are not.
#19farleyboy2Posted 11/9/2012 11:12:55 AM
My tips:
Be patient with the game and yourself, this is NOT an instant gratification game.

Find a weapon class that you like and become proficient.

Know that you have purchased many games in one...meaning that you can replay the game using EACH weapon class and it will be a new experience each time. The same can be said for solo vs. multiplayer.

The camaraderie that you feel from a successful team hunt is excellent and addictive.

Happy Hunting
---
Gary
#20TCGJessePosted 11/10/2012 6:54:56 AM(edited)
Do yourself a favor.

Don't start with FU, thats a stupid idea.

The game is broken.

More content =/= better game

Start with Tri, it'll be more like U3 mechanic wise. How weapons handle, to hit boxes.
I started with the first MH and worked my way through all the ones released state side, even some that weren't released states side. After beating Tri I went back to FU and it was awful. Weapons work better in Tri and are more fluid, and when you hit something you actually hit it, and when monsters miss you, they actually miss you, there is no invisible barrier that hits you when the monsters tail clearly went over you. FU gets retarded later on. Two Tigrex with broken hit boxes? Naw.

So instead of just saying "Start with Tri!" I gave you a legit reason.
---
People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use. -Kierkegaard