What's the best weapon class?

#21muffinmasherPosted 1/28/2013 7:53:38 AM
It's the hammer TC, don't worry about the rest of these posts.
---
Black 2 FC: 3654 8353 8201
"Barkley: Shut up and jam! Gaiden" Is the best RPG of all time.
#22Tanis_sinaTPosted 1/28/2013 8:04:39 AM
It all really depends on what you're best at using like a few others said, and some weapons are more effective on certain monsters. So just try out all the weapons for a bit and see what you like best.

Also. Don't get hit, hit it till it dies.
---
http://i.imgur.com/6DaQhIK.jpg - http://i.imgur.com/RcwRIaw.jpg - http://i.imgur.com/iVqCnh4.jpg
#23teknic1200Posted 1/28/2013 8:37:21 AM
sravankb posted...

One word of warning - you may notice at first that the controls feel quite different from other games; there are very specific gameplay reasons behind every single movement, distance covered, and timing of these animations.

Do not be turned off by this - it takes no time to get over them. But yeah, the best thing would be to try out each class in a training quest to learn and implement each one's mechanics and movesets. But yeah, SnS and hammers are fairly easy to get into, at least in my experience.

this, but not the part about sns and hammer being easiest to learn.

I believe I in this iteration of the game you actually start out with one of each weapon in your box so you can try them all out right off the bat.

as for avoid the ROFLStomp, that's not gonna happen, you'll need to suck it up and keep trying. don't give in, once you get the hang of things it's a lot easier to manage.
---
Today is the Tomorrow you were promised Yesterday
#24GustotronPosted 1/28/2013 9:04:03 AM
A general weapon tier list will be a little less definitive in this game due to the wide array of monsters. High damage hitzones will be more sporadic as opposed to the classic "hit it in the face" approach of Tri, making certain weapons much more capable and others nearly useless.

This is strictly speculation since I have not played the game yet but I would predict duals swords, long sword, lance, bow and possibly GS to all be in the top tier. I would also expect LS and DS to ascend to "God tier" once people learn how to use them, due to their high damage output.

This could also all be moot due to the new element which has a sort of monkey wrench effect on any sort of constants we have previously established. Sword and board could very well out damage LS (but I doubt very much doubt it).
#25xXDa-KidXx(Topic Creator)Posted 1/28/2013 9:36:05 AM
Ok, well this game is definitely going to be a struggle. But I think I'm up to it. I'll try different weapons and tactics.

Now, are there ways to add different effects to your weapons? Like Fire, Electricity, Paralysis, Ice, ect? Are any weapon specific or are there some type of spells or something you can put on any weapon to add effects?
---
NNID: xXDaKidXx
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/DaKidWiiTrailers <--[Updates, Trailers, Reviews, and more!]
#26oODaBombOoPosted 1/28/2013 9:53:41 AM
there is no "best weapon", i personaly like to use sword and shields. heres some pros and cons of the old weapon teirs, i dont know anything about the new ones

sword and shield

pros- fast, best for dogdging because you can still jog with it unsheathed, great for status attacks, fastest weapon (excluding certain bow guns), WONT KNOCK DOWN ONLINE PLAYERS, ok blocking abilites, CAN USE ITEMS WHILE BLOCKING

cons- weakest weapon in the games, terrible tail cutter, once you begin to get better sword and shields you start to go through 3-4 whetstones a quest, short range

great sword

pros- extremely powerful, is a fantastic tail cutter, can string unlimited combos, long range decent blocking abilities

cons- SLOW, long cool down attacks, easy to knock other players down, poor evasion

hammer

pros- very strong, best weapon for breaking parts of monsters, hits to the face can confuse a monster, charge attack

cons- slow, poor blocking, easy too hit other players

switch axe (look more into this weapon if interested)

pros- 2 weapons in one, good tail cutter

cons- no blocking

lance

pros- most damage per second, can block almost all attacks, long range, can dodge 3 times in a row, "sheild scoot'

cons- can only attack straight forward, long rest time after an attack, requires lots of stamina

long sword

pros- long range, pretty good damage, good for dodging, great for status attacks, good tail cutter

cons- no blocking, trips other players

bowguns

pros- best for long distance, best for status attacks

cons- very expensive, pretty weak, an ok tail cutter
#27xXDa-KidXx(Topic Creator)Posted 1/28/2013 10:07:37 AM
What about the added weapon classes?
---
NNID: xXDaKidXx
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/DaKidWiiTrailers <--[Updates, Trailers, Reviews, and more!]
#28oODaBombOoPosted 1/28/2013 10:14:54 AM
some advice for anyone new to MH would be to figure out how to play in single player first, there is a pretty tough learning curve, and you can expect to die MANY times on youre first boss monster, but its better to get this all out of the way before people might actually be depending on you,

dont get in over youre head, if you end up failing the quest for everyone because you died to many times you will be eternally hated by those people.

never go into a quest unprepared, always take plenty of mega potions into battle with you, and also think about bringing food, antidotes, and hot/cold drinks in with you depending on the fight.

put others before yourself, if you have a weak link on your group do youre best to help them out, wether its giving them items or drawing a monster away from them, these people could easily fail the quest for you

try to avoid hitting other players, most weapons wont do dammage to players but they can send them flying

everything in MH takes time, so take that into consideration when using items.

learn the pros and cons of what weapon youre using, this will help you stay alive.

make some friends, theres is nothing more fun then finding a group of people who are youre same skill level (not hunter rank) and hunting with them

people could probably make this list 7 pages long but here are what i think are the most important, trust me, it may seem like a lot of work but it is well worth it once you learn monster hunter 101
#29myers4325Posted 1/28/2013 11:07:36 AM
Sword and shield is best weapon class. Damage calc be damned!
---
That guy with nothing worth saying
#30Chaos_KreaturePosted 1/28/2013 11:17:30 AM
xXDa-KidXx posted...
Ok, well this game is definitely going to be a struggle. But I think I'm up to it. I'll try different weapons and tactics.

Now, are there ways to add different effects to your weapons? Like Fire, Electricity, Paralysis, Ice, ect? Are any weapon specific or are there some type of spells or something you can put on any weapon to add effects?

You got the elements right, there's also dragon, water, sleep, poison, and blast (forgive me if I missed one). The elements of the weapons are specific to the different monsters they are made from. There aren't spells in this game, but certain armor skills affect things like sharpness, attack, damage, critical hits, etc.
---
MHT: Zyzax MH3U: Hopefully the same, if not for some reason, TriforceKnight(also my NN id)