Is this game a bit like TERA?

#11ajko000Posted 2/15/2013 2:08:55 PM(edited)
SolidHaseo posted...
Element_Pearl posted...
I would say TERA is a little bit like this game.

RasutoSSAikou posted...
Monster Hunter is just an RPG that is far beyond the level of most RPGs today, because it actually implements true real time scenarios, and not idiots pressing 40 keys while standing still, or relatively still. You're always moving, and you have a respectable moveset that has no special skills other than what you make of it.

Um.....what?

Monster Hunter is not an RPG, so comparing the two games is ridiculous.

Also, where have you been in the last 15 years?

I'm sorry, I already flamed another gentleman over why this game is an RPG on another topic. I do not intend to do this here. Good day.

You can flame all you want, you'll just look dumb. MH isn't an RPG. It's a skill based action game with gear related stats.

MH is an RPG, any game when you can create a character and modify it in any way possible is an RPG. Every MMO is also an RPG for that reason, Borderlands is an RPG with shooter elements or vice versa, ajko please explain in a better way than I.

Actually that sums it up perfectly. I can never explain it very well, because whenever I try I'm always accompanied by rage. It's like changing your religion, it's something you have to realize yourself, other people can't really influence you much.
#12SolidHaseoPosted 2/15/2013 2:09:04 PM
Ah ok, I just suck at explaining stuff period. *inb4Elementcomesback*
---
Enthusiast of the Female Body
I draw anime....
#13xLinkkuPosted 2/15/2013 2:10:18 PM
Gojeran posted...
I'd say TERA is a bit like Monster Hunter.

This.
---
Official Fennekin of the Pokemon X/Y boards
3DS FC: Bryan 4296-3998-3033
#14RasutoSSAikouPosted 2/15/2013 2:15:15 PM
Element_Pearl posted...
I would say TERA is a little bit like this game.

RasutoSSAikou posted...
Monster Hunter is just an RPG that is far beyond the level of most RPGs today, because it actually implements true real time scenarios, and not idiots pressing 40 keys while standing still, or relatively still. You're always moving, and you have a respectable moveset that has no special skills other than what you make of it.

Um.....what?

Monster Hunter is not an RPG, so comparing the two games is ridiculous.

Also, where have you been in the last 15 years?

I'm sorry, I already flamed another gentleman over why this game is an RPG on another topic. I do not intend to do this here. Good day.

You can flame all you want, you'll just look dumb. MH isn't an RPG. It's a skill based action game with gear related stats.

MH is an RPG, any game when you can create a character and modify it in any way possible is an RPG. Every MMO is also an RPG for that reason, Borderlands is an RPG with shooter elements or vice versa, ajko please explain in a better way than I.

I guess this means Call of Duty is an RPG? I can create a character and modify them.
What about any game starring my Mii or Xbox Avatar? I technically created and modified them, so any game using them must be an RPG.
Every modern WWE game I know of lets you create a wrestler. Are those RPGs?

Point being, you need another definition, because Monster Hunter is an action game.
---
Do you play Dragon's Dogma? Try out my pawn, she'll take care of you! Name: Ehcin
Xbox GT/PSN- Ssur Trebor
#15Element_PearlPosted 2/15/2013 2:19:08 PM(edited)
That application, 'create your own character', is too broad for modern games AND older games. According to that description, Dead Space 3 is an RPG, and the original Dragon Quest is not, because you can modify your character in DS3, but in DQ1 you were given a character that always expanded in exactly the same manner every time you leveled up.

As you can see, that's ridiculous. DS3 is an action sci-fi shooter with crafting elements, and DQ1 is a classic NES RPG. In modern lexicon, an RPG can be divided between the WRPG and the JRPG. Whether you agree with these labels or not, each is defined by a different sort of gameplay system, neither of which is present in MH. WRPGs are generally typified by an open world that allows you to do whatever you want, whenever you want, with a character you've created, within the confines of the game system.

A JRPG is typified by having a fairly linear storyline, pre-determined characters (possibly with a player made one along the way, like in the new Fire Emblem), and some side quests.

MH fits neither of these catagories. What MH does resemble is any number of skill-based, third person action games with gear related stat-ups. MH is as much an RPG as Devil May Cry is.
---
Official Holy Dragon Nall of the First Generation.
#16Element_PearlPosted 2/15/2013 2:18:08 PM
Also, ajk, you should probably talk to a psychiatrist if being incredibly wrong about things all the time drives you into a rage so consuming that you can't even explain your wrong opinion to other people on the Internet.
---
#17SolidHaseoPosted 2/15/2013 2:30:52 PM
Almost every game in this day and age has RPG elements in some way by now, CaC is an RPG element. MH is an ARPG with a fairly non-existent story, MH cannot be classified as simply an action game cause action games for the most part have pre-determined character, a combo movelist, do not have gear and have varying difficulty modes. If you still insist MH is not an RPG then why is MH combat used in one that is an RPG, God Eater.
---
Enthusiast of the Female Body
I draw anime....
#18Element_PearlPosted 2/15/2013 2:33:28 PM
MH has varying difficulty. Some people call them Village, Guild, and G-rank, but you could also call them Easy, Normal, or Hard.

MH isn't an RPG in any way, unless you go right to the core of it, which is to say you're playing a role and it's a game, in which case every game ever made is an RPG.
---
#19RasutoSSAikouPosted 2/15/2013 2:46:11 PM
Just because a game has RPG elements does not make it one, unless you're willing to call XCOM(gear, talent tree)/Mark of the NInja(talent tree, gear)/Dishonored(spells, mana)/Binary Domain(skill "tree")/Zone of the Enders(levels)/Kingdom Rush (talent tree) an RPG.

Element is right. Monster Hunter is an action game. There's no ifs, ands, or buts about it.
---
Do you play Dragon's Dogma? Try out my pawn, she'll take care of you! Name: Ehcin
Xbox GT/PSN- Ssur Trebor
#20chumpykalamoonaPosted 2/15/2013 4:43:22 PM
SolidHaseo posted...
...any game when you can create a character and modify it in any way possible is an RPG...

Soul Calibur 3, 4 and 5 are RPGs. Metal Gear Online was an RPG. Professional Wrestling games are RPGs.
---
Are you okay!? BUSTAH WULF!