Blocking frowned upon?

#1PlasdurockPosted 3/7/2013 9:42:42 AM(edited)
I've been reading some threads, and it sounds like blocking attacks instead of dodging in frowned upon? Why is that? Now I understand the importance of dodging, but from what I gather, not everything can be dodged, or done so easily? Like Roars? Or are that just more elitist spewing stuff.

New to the series and trying to sort through what should be considered valuable advice and what's trash BEFORE I get the game (I like doing research)
---
Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities. Truth isn't. -Mark Twain
#2Rainey-kinsPosted 3/7/2013 9:46:36 AM(edited)
Roars can be leapt out of , or blocked.

However, depending on your weapon (or not, I'm not sure) blocking reduces your sharpness, plus you still take some damage, unless you have certain perks.

Most of the time, though, if you can dodge, you're going to want to. Relying on blocking isn't a good idea, since there's more room for error.

EDIT: Ah, yeah, GS are the only ones that lose sharpness. Still, it's not a great habit to get into.
---
Royal Rose
#3MonkeymooXDPosted 3/7/2013 9:44:44 AM
Well, blocking should only be done regularly with Lance and gunlance. Blocking with the GS reduces sharpness and you will still take damage. I think the SnS shield is also less effective compared to the lances, and will result in you taking damage.
#4teknic1200Posted 3/7/2013 9:44:50 AM
roars can be dodged, but I'd rather have earplugs.
---
Today is the Tomorrow you were promised Yesterday
#5Plasdurock(Topic Creator)Posted 3/7/2013 9:49:50 AM(edited)
Ah, I guess that makes sense. The weapon I found I'm most comfortable with though, is the gunlance. It seems like blocking is important for that weapon? With the exception of sidestepping after an attack, It's dodge seems kind of odd?

I also did decent with he S&S, but it dodge more with that more than I do block, since it's block doesn't seem that useful. I didn't even know you coudl block witht eh great sword when I tried it, haha.

Oh wow you all posted before I finished typing this.
---
#6ih0tfireiPosted 3/7/2013 9:48:47 AM
Plasdurock posted...
I've been reading some threads, and it sounds like blocking attacks instead of dodging in frowned upon? Why is that? Now I understand the importance of dodging, but from what I gather, not everything can be dodged, or done so easily? Like Roars? Or are that just more elitist spewing stuff

Elitist spewing stuff. Nothing is wrong with blocking but you really need to learn how to evade. The reason you need to learn to evade is because not every weapon can block. You don't wanna make things harder for yourself when you want to use a different weapon. I was a lance user in tri and I blocked everything at first so I could get a feel for the monsters patterns. Now I only block when evading won't work or if I don't have time to move to safety.
---
Xbox tag- I Hotfire I
#7Cross64Posted 3/7/2013 9:50:26 AM
I'd imagine the biggest reason is that if you block an attack, it throws you into a large recovery animation. Where if you dodge it, you can go right back to stabbing. Counter attacking was introduced to help remedy that, but you can't pull it off at all times with the nerf to it in MHP3.

Overall, going for evade skills is just going to give you greater return on completely avoiding attacks and going right back to damaging the monster. Where, to be an expert blocker, it will cost you as many/more skill points, and leave you potentially dealing less damage over time.

An evade lance user is still going to have situations where they want to block though, like certain roars that can't be dodged (diablos).

On a more base level though, I'm sure it partially has to do with the annoyance of getting lance users that charge in and just turtle the entire fight. But that's something you're mostly going to see from newbs/noobs or people just new to the blocking weapons.
---
Make your swords become like things unto chainsaws.
#8Plasdurock(Topic Creator)Posted 3/7/2013 9:53:27 AM
That sounds like good advice there. Blocking with the lances also means you still have your weapons out, so you'll move slower. Against enemies that like to move a lot, I can see how blocking instead of rolling would put you at a disadvantage I guess? Because you usually have to try to close a gap? (Lagombi sliding?)
---
#9YoukaiSlayerPosted 3/7/2013 10:03:37 AM(edited)
Blocking means your weapon is out which means you cant chase the monster as effectively and wont be there to take advantage of its openings as quickly resulting in you dealing less damage. If you intend on switching weapons fairly often its useful to note that plenty of weapons cant block at all. Still its sometimes your best option. Also IIRC it can take a pretty huge chunk out of your stamina and you cant move instantly after blocking so you can be comboed until you run out of stamina and cant block anymore.

Even with lance you dont want to block too much because it makes you very slow. Theres also two main ways to lance. Evade lancing and counter lancing. Evade lancing involves hopping through attacks and putting out a pretty constant stream of attacks. Counter lancing involves using counter to attack through monsters attacks. Theres plenty of crossover in both those styles. I personally think evade lancing is really fun although im not much of a lancer. Any of the actual lancers can correct wherever i may be wrong.
---
I'm ninja
(you can't see me)
#10Plasdurock(Topic Creator)Posted 3/7/2013 10:03:22 AM
I'm not really sure how to counter... So I've been trying to side-step or hop backwards after an attack or string of combos. Would that be evade lancing?

How do you counter? Just attack after blocking?
---