What's the advantage of a Kelbi Bow?

#1DrOrpheus42Posted 3/12/2013 11:26:28 AM
After playing the demo, I'm really interested in picking up Bows in MH3U, I found it a lot more fun to use than the Bowguns in Tri. I've been looking up topics and information about Bows to prepare, and one of the things I see being mentioned often is the Kelbi Bow.

I wouldn't have expected a weapon named after the common Kelbi to be a popular weapon choice. Could someone explain why it's effective over other Bows, and how you're supposed to effectively use it (since, from what I understand, all Bows charge to different levels, with different attributes per charge level)?
#2teknic1200Posted 3/12/2013 11:28:52 AM
it awakens with big slime damage.
---
Today is the Tomorrow you were promised Yesterday
#3StafirPosted 3/12/2013 11:29:39 AM(edited)
Awaken.

When Kelbi is awakened, it gains the 'slime' (or japanese name 'blast') element. Which suddenly makes it extreemly strong because of how quickly you can get a ton of shots off.
---
Reviewer and news gaming sites are only credible if it proves the poster's point.
If it doesn't, then they're just biased trash. -- Savott on Troll logic.
#4DrOrpheus42(Topic Creator)Posted 3/12/2013 11:34:03 AM
Oh jeez, I completely forgot about Awaken; in Tri, I only ever bothered with it on event items like Tenebra D and Sinister Saints.

So it gets a Slime element with Awaken, then. Is that all? Because I would think that would just make it on par with other Bows as a viable choice, not some kind of superior weapon.
#5Cross64Posted 3/12/2013 11:39:58 AM
DrOrpheus42 posted...
Oh jeez, I completely forgot about Awaken; in Tri, I only ever bothered with it on event items like Tenebra D and Sinister Saints.

So it gets a Slime element with Awaken, then. Is that all? Because I would think that would just make it on par with other Bows as a viable choice, not some kind of superior weapon.

Slime is an extremely powerful element/status, and the kelbi bow is unique with it in the fact that its lvl 1 charge is a 5 arrow spread shot, so it can lay on the slime extremely fast by just spamming the attack button. It's also a very safe weapon, because you don't have to aim for weakspots and doesn't require you to leave yourself somewhat open by charging.

http://youtu.be/0x3ENsh3kRk

to see it in action.
---
Make your swords become like things unto chainsaws.
#6popliyoPosted 3/12/2013 11:42:45 AM
Cross64 posted...
DrOrpheus42 posted...

Slime is an extremely powerful element/status, and the kelbi bow is unique with it in the fact that its lvl 1 charge is a 5 arrow spread shot, so it can lay on the slime extremely fast by just spamming the attack button. It's also a very safe weapon, because you don't have to aim for weakspots and doesn't require you to leave yourself somewhat open by charging.

to see it in action.

Looks like the Spread Needle made its way from PSO into Monster Hunter.
---
trolls are stupid people who have tricked themselves into thinking that merely pretending to be an idiot is different from actually being an idiot. -Detsuaxhe
#7DrOrpheus42(Topic Creator)Posted 3/12/2013 11:55:19 AM
Cross64 posted...
DrOrpheus42 posted...

to see it in action.

Well I guess that video answered my question, huh? That was ridiculous to watch, you mean to tell me that you can immediately fire off uncharged shots, and you get a five-arrow spread where each individual arrow comes with the full slime damage? I think I'm gonna put this alongside sleepbombing as "stuff that's obviously effective, but hardly any fun."

Thanks a lot for all your info, though I do have one other question. Since the video contained all Gunners firing from a safe distance, I didn't get to see: can the explosions from Slime element disrupt other players (i.e. Blademasters who are up close)? Either by reducing their health, sending them flying, tripping them up, etc.?
#8BSerenityPosted 3/12/2013 11:57:58 AM
DrOrpheus42 posted...
Cross64 posted...
DrOrpheus42 posted...

to see it in action.

Well I guess that video answered my question, huh? That was ridiculous to watch, you mean to tell me that you can immediately fire off uncharged shots, and you get a five-arrow spread where each individual arrow comes with the full slime damage? I think I'm gonna put this alongside sleepbombing as "stuff that's obviously effective, but hardly any fun."

Thanks a lot for all your info, though I do have one other question. Since the video contained all Gunners firing from a safe distance, I didn't get to see: can the explosions from Slime element disrupt other players (i.e. Blademasters who are up close)? Either by reducing their health, sending them flying, tripping them up, etc.?

Same way I thought of it when I seen a couple videos of the bow being abused.
---
La morte sgorga dalle mie dita... Non v'e dubbio, tale e il desiderio dell'ignobile; dannata innocenza!
#9c0rr0s10nPosted 3/12/2013 12:16:37 PM
That bow is endgame,...you gotta be able to make it first. You deserve that bow if you make it that far. It's icing on the slime covered cake man, and I want a piece.
---
When asked about Black Ops 2, ii Tryhard has this to say: "If you have <2 KD, you are BAD at this game."
#10Eddie_5Posted 3/12/2013 12:35:14 PM
c0rr0s10n posted...
That bow is endgame,...you gotta be able to make it first. You deserve that bow if you make it that far. It's icing on the slime covered cake man, and I want a piece.

Isn´t the bow only Rare Level 4? So you could make it while you´re not even at G-Rank. That would be mid-game. But maybe you need G-Rank parts for it. I don´t know.