What's the point of high rank...?

#11BobletyPosted 4/1/2013 2:30:28 AM
Link HT posted...
All the high rank armors are basically superior versions of their low rank counterparts so they add nothing.

They are both superior and add nothing at the same time, how does that work?
---
:O
#12Link HT(Topic Creator)Posted 4/1/2013 4:13:37 AM
Boblety posted...
Link HT posted...
All the high rank armors are basically superior versions of their low rank counterparts so they add nothing.

Because the low rank versions won't be considered to build sets? Back in Tri some of the low rank armor skills were actually better than high rank.
---
http://i.imgur.com/Tx1FX.jpg
#13SoIldSnlvyPosted 4/1/2013 4:17:18 AM
Link HT posted...
Boblety posted...
Link HT posted...

Because the low rank versions won't be considered to build sets? Back in Tri some of the low rank armor skills were actually better than high rank.

Why should the low rank sets be better? They're useful for getting through low rank in the first place and the start of High rank, but isn't the whole point that High rank gear is better than low rank?

That's like complaining that the Matched Slicers are completely worthless compared to the Spectral Demolisher, despite requiring much more time and effort to make.
---
Official and Original Mountain-Eating Goddamn Aggron of the Black/White Boards
LoL IGN (And IGN for almost everything): Rathilal
#14Link HT(Topic Creator)Posted 4/1/2013 4:24:27 AM
SoIldSnlvy posted...
Link HT posted...
Boblety posted...
Link HT posted...

Why should the low rank sets be better? They're useful for getting through low rank in the first place and the start of High rank, but isn't the whole point that High rank gear is better than low rank?

That's like complaining that the Matched Slicers are completely worthless compared to the Spectral Demolisher, despite requiring much more time and effort to make.

I'm just saying, it would be more interesting if they had different abilities instead of just being superior versions? Back in Tri you could mix and match both regular and high rank armor pieces to create the best sets, that made it interesting.

I don't know how I can make this any clearer.

The game could have just started in "high rank" and gone from there.
---
http://i.imgur.com/Tx1FX.jpg
#15GodTazPosted 4/1/2013 4:44:38 AM
Yeah, I don't think the problem is that HR existed, but that LR did.

It was too easy and went too quickly. Almost no reason to make LR armor.
---
#monhun @ irc.rizon.net ( http://tinyurl.com/cv4ufud )
Come chat about MH3U and make some friends, or something.
#16KaiserWarriorPosted 4/1/2013 5:15:16 AM
Link HT posted...

I'm just saying, it would be more interesting if they had different abilities instead of just being superior versions? Back in Tri you could mix and match both regular and high rank armor pieces to create the best sets, that made it interesting.

I don't know how I can make this any clearer.

The game could have just started in "high rank" and gone from there.

LR/HR aren't always so cut and dried. LR Wroggi for gunners, for example, has 5 points in Status that HR Wroggi doesn't have, enabling Status Attack + 2 with a +4 charm. For that very reason I kept my LR Wroggi set and dumped armor spheres into it to give it HR-level defense. That's the entire point of the armor sphere system, to carry lower-rank armors into higher ranks because there are skill differences.
#17WinstonCHillPosted 4/1/2013 6:00:54 AM
Because casuals. And new people.

I agree we should have started at High Rank, but then that would have driven away a lot of people.
#18teknic1200Posted 4/1/2013 6:16:08 AM
What is your take on Grank? high rank is preparing you for g rank. grank monsters all have new unique looks on the armor and the weapons are of course superior.

low rank is the training wheels lol easy part of the game, I wasn't there for very long at all and I'm not spending much time in high rank but I'm making some narga armor because my bone set isn't cutting it any more.
---
Today is the Tomorrow you were promised Yesterday
#19WithYouForYouPosted 4/1/2013 7:57:07 AM
Most of you missed the point. He said high rank is useless because your goal is ultimately G-Rank...so why bother with HR..

It doesnt bother me though
..but ive only been able to put in 30 hours since release
#20RasutoSSAikouPosted 4/1/2013 8:21:41 AM
Tinithor posted...
If by artificially lengthen you mean making monsters stronger and harder and new subspecies and items to farm then yeah its artificially lengthened.

Its called tier progression, i spose it might be considered a grind to some but for alot of people thats the kind of stuff they like about monster hunter.

Now that I'm done with low rank I really feel like I'm doing it all over again until I finally reach the endgame.

What will you be doing in the endgame? Exactly what you're doing now.
---
Do you play Dragon's Dogma? Try out my pawn, she'll take care of you! Name: Ehcin
Xbox GT/PSN- Ssur Trebor