Dragons Dogma and Monster Hunter brotherhood.

#1CaoSlayerPosted 4/5/2013 10:12:51 AM
Hi.

Dragon Dogma was released past year and was a fine experience no doubt inspired by monster hunter were slaying big monster were the high point of the game but with a GTA like open exploration and plot heavy compared with MH series.

In few words, Dragons Dogma was a current of fresh air to the stagnant monster hunter series that seems too scare to move forward since it is itself it own genre and makes very easy to add content since eveything from maps to the monsters themselves follow the same rules from the first to the last game.

Of course I don't want monster hunter 4 to be dragon dogma 2 but it sure could borrow some ideas, by example:

Replace the moga woods mode for an open world mode.
Grab the monster mechanics.
Archery and Magic aren't second line for fun.
Good IA that learns from you.

Things that should stay heck away:
Plot.
Experience Levels, it utterly ruined the challenged

What do you think?
---
Caoslayer, butchering english language since 6/9/2001
#2Krazoa2Posted 4/5/2013 10:14:35 AM
Grab the monster mechanics? Does that imply taking away from the monster mechanics that are currently in this game? Because that's a bad, bad idea.
---
I don't even read -YouStillHateMe
#3CaoSlayer(Topic Creator)Posted 4/5/2013 10:18:28 AM
You didn't watched MH4 trailer.

Grabs are coming already.
---
#4s0nicfanPosted 4/5/2013 10:19:11 AM
Dragons Dogma was clearly a Capcom take on Demon's/Dark Souls, and had far more in common with that game.

And he implies a Shadow of the Colossus esque feature where you physically jump and cling onto monsters to attack weak points and/or distract it.
---
"History Is Much Like An Endless Waltz. The Three Beats Of War, Peace And Revolution Continue On Forever." - Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz
#5ZeldiasPosted 4/5/2013 10:25:56 AM
s0nicfan posted...
Dragons Dogma was clearly a Capcom take on Demon's/Dark Souls, and had far more in common with that game.

And he implies a Shadow of the Colossus esque feature where you physically jump and cling onto monsters to attack weak points and/or distract it.

I'm not seeing the Souls series. To me it's more of a Japanese answer to the WRPG games like The Elder Scrolls. Souls doesn't have the same grand scale that Dogma does (in terms of the play area).
---
Look! The East is burning red!
#6s0nicfanPosted 4/5/2013 10:28:54 AM
Zeldias posted...

I'm not seeing the Souls series. To me it's more of a Japanese answer to the WRPG games like The Elder Scrolls. Souls doesn't have the same grand scale that Dogma does (in terms of the play area).

It's certainly much more "grand" though than MH's room-by-room closed playground setup, considering DaS is also open world.
---
"History Is Much Like An Endless Waltz. The Three Beats Of War, Peace And Revolution Continue On Forever." - Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz
#7VandyanPosted 4/5/2013 10:31:28 AM
I would prefer them to remain two similar but separate games. I enjoy them both for what they are, I feel any attempt to make one more like the other would have the overall effect of watering down what was great about them both individually.
#8CaoSlayer(Topic Creator)Posted 4/5/2013 10:33:14 AM
s0nicfan posted...
Zeldias posted...

It's certainly much more "grand" though than MH's room-by-room closed playground setup, considering DaS is also open world.

DaS was a shut close world, more similar to a castlevania were you are unlocking new areas and getting back often.

DeS, the first game, it had Megaman structure.

Don't worry, grabs were well done.

Remember when Jho floors you and he get on top of you?
Hunters have learned to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikFFT-8n3wc
8:30
---
#9ZeldiasPosted 4/5/2013 10:36:35 AM
s0nicfan posted...
Zeldias posted...

Yeah its much bigger than MH. And I know its also open world. I guess I was thinking more of the feel, because DaS is similar to Dogma, just feels more closed and linear to me. Might be the claustrophobic environment and how the game makes you anxious every time you turn a corner; Dogma doesn't push that same sense of immediate dread. So in terms of how the world and mood feel to me, Dogma is like ES.
---
Look! The East is burning red!
#10Kromlech06Posted 4/5/2013 12:43:14 PM(edited)
I always imagined lost planet and dragon's dogma as capcom's way of repackaging the monster hunter ideals for western consumption. Lost planet failed, DD did a little better.

I will say though, in like 6 months when you're out of steam on monster hunter, check out Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen. You will almost certainly enjoy it if you like monster hunter.

As for the grab mechanics, DD's were far more involved and complicated. MH4 has scripted grabbing, where you always go to the same spot on the monster's back and start hacking away with your carving knives.
In DD, every class had it's own way of smacking around a monster he or she was clinging to, and you could climb almost anywhere as long as your stamina held out. Monsters would react accordingly, swiping their arms to knock you off, stamping their leg to shake you off, etc. Stabbing a cyclops in the eye with the butt of your warhammer is quite a rewarding experience.