Has the very first game aged well

#1Holy_OblivionPosted 4/12/2013 9:31:06 AM
I can borrow it from a friend and have looked for a way to get into the series.
---
Visit my youtube page for game news, vids, anime, and plenty of other stuff:
http://www.youtube.com/user/BaoZakeruga?show_guided_help=1
#2Grey_TygrePosted 4/12/2013 9:35:07 AM
The first game has completely different controls and such.. I don't think I'd say it's aged well, honestly, but it got a bunch of us into the series so it's not -bad-... Just not as good as it gets! :D
---
3DS FC is 0920-0012-7211
NNID is Llesnouh
#3MalurthPosted 4/12/2013 9:36:42 AM
No.

The lack of online play (servers are dead) cripples it, and it basically feels like a protoype game (like SSB64 is to SSBM). There are a huge number of improvements in later games.

MHF1 is solid, though.
---
XBL: Malurth
#4KaiserWarriorPosted 4/12/2013 9:46:02 AM
Not particularly. The right stick was used for attacks (Up, down, left, and right and push mapped to different attacks) rather than camera controls, and the weapons were incredibly simplistic compared to what we have now -- Greatswords don't have charging, Lances pretty much just have forward stab and upstab, dual swords don't have a gauge at all, hammers have no flow between moves. Aside from dual swords, none of the other 'sub-type' weapons exist yet (gunlance, longsword, hunting horn, bow, switch axe). There is a relatively limited selection of monsters, all of whom (with the exception of Lao Shan and Fatalis) were Flying Wyverns, and their behavior is incredibly simplistic compared to what we have now -- most of them spend most of the fight just charging back and forth or tailwhipping.

There's nothing in Monster Hunter that wasn't included and improved upon in later releases (Freedom, Freedom Unite), so it's only really worth revisiting if you're a hardcore fan of the series that wants to see or remember where it all began.

Hell, now I might have to slap my copy back into my PS2 and relive the memories.
#5AdaptBlade_KxmPosted 4/12/2013 9:54:06 AM
Back in MH1 velociprey (jaggi for ex), would lauch from the skys and heat seek your ass, sending you flying.

Talking about the little guys too.... Not velocidrome (great jaggi for ex)
"shudders"

Oh God and your first time meeting cephadrome.

I don't wanna go back, I'll never go back to relive those memories.
---
Put Ya Guns On! After all...What've I got to lose? Wii U: AdaptXero Monster Hunter : Axero
---
#6ThatLaoGuyPosted 4/12/2013 10:39:05 AM
Lol I loved the right analog stick to attack. It flows nicely and I used it in tri, but I'll admit the button layout is far superior. I would still use the analog sticks if given the option
---
Gamertag: That Lao Guy
#7PhoenixWroggiPosted 4/12/2013 10:39:35 AM
First game is awful.
#8CoconutButterPosted 4/12/2013 11:05:55 AM
It was great when it first came out. It wasn't perfect, but it did get a lot of us into the series. If anybody doesn't want their copy, send them to me. I'll make a mountain of preciousesss.
#9huki4101Posted 4/12/2013 11:12:00 AM
Then there's chasing Rathalos around all areas of FnH as he goes on a 30 minute world tour.

Yeah, hasn't aged well.
---
I'm like, six damn strings never sounded so appealing.
MHTri - Felix , MH3U - Kule
#10KaiserWarriorPosted 4/12/2013 11:49:12 AM
CoconutButter posted...
It was great when it first came out. It wasn't perfect, but it did get a lot of us into the series. If anybody doesn't want their copy, send them to me. I'll make a mountain of preciousesss.

Yeah, it was mind-blowing at the time it was released. The graphics were absolutely stunning for the PS2, and the way it basically recreated the feeling of Phantasy Star Online was sublime.

It's still a decent game, it's just that the series has progressed so far since its release that it now seems incredibly primitive compared to its successors. It's one of the many reasons I love Monster Hunter; it does sequels properly. Taking the original game, providing new content, making the game deeper and more complex, and all of this without feeling the need to completely redo the whole thing to appeal to a new audience.

MH4 is the first really big shakeup in the series, and it'll be interesting to see how it turns out.