What monsters to kill instead of capture

#1PizzusPosted 4/21/2013 11:09:08 PM
Apologies if this already exists.

We keep hearing that capturing a monster yields better rewards. Except in that one case. And that one, too. And it keeps annoying people that the randoms online insist on slaying/capturing a monster when the other option clearly is the better one.

I looked through the drop rates for each monster, and it looks like these are the monsters you almost always want to slay and carve, not capture. Note that this applies to G-Rank only.

Great Jaggi/Baggi/Wroggi
Rust / Duramboros (except when looking for Hardhorn)
Zinogre (except for D-shocker)
Stygan Zinogre (except for Dragonshell)
Green / Plesioth (except for Webbing)
Volvidon (except for Claw+)
Lucent / Green / Nargacuga (except for Lash)
Savage Deviljho (except for Black Blood)
Deviljho (except for Scalp)

For the other monsters, capturing is generally the best idea, unless you're after something specific. For instance, only slay Baleful / Gigginox when you're specifically after Nightmarish Maw. Also, when looking for Cortices, slaying is the way to go.

Comment, rate, criticize. I did this at midnight after a tiring day of hunting, so do point out any misinformation or miscalculations that may have slipped in, or cases that may have been overlooked.
---
Consider this signature an outdated and groan-inducing meme.
#2XeroShinobiPosted 4/21/2013 11:13:15 PM(edited)
Killing is manlier.

Anywho, while not true in all cases, the general rule of thumb is to kill the monster if you can carve the rare gem item from its body, capture if you can't.
---
Currently playing: not much
#3SirkPosted 4/22/2013 2:15:02 AM
Do many people go after Savage Jho except for blood or the award? The higher drop rates on other rare items don't seem to outweigh the trouble of meeting him, unless you are talking about spur of the moment free hunts on non-Night Stalker quests. I can't really imagine most people going after him for the carves.
---
It takes both rain and shine to make a rainbow.
#4ShakeNBakeUKPosted 4/22/2013 2:55:07 AM
nice ;)

I always knew Jasper chance was higher from kill..!
---
MH3U (WiiU) NNID: ShakeNBakeUK
GS / Hammer / DS / LBG | Online: HR7 | Offline: 9*
#5LionHeartSJTPosted 4/22/2013 4:09:22 AM
Pizzus posted...
Apologies if this already exists.

We keep hearing that capturing a monster yields better rewards. Except in that one case. And that one, too. And it keeps annoying people that the randoms online insist on slaying/capturing a monster when the other option clearly is the better one.

I looked through the drop rates for each monster, and it looks like these are the monsters you almost always want to slay and carve, not capture. Note that this applies to G-Rank only.

Great Jaggi/Baggi/Wroggi
Rust / Duramboros (except when looking for Hardhorn)
Zinogre (except for D-shocker)
Stygan Zinogre (except for Dragonshell)
Green / Plesioth (except for Webbing)
Volvidon (except for Claw+)
Lucent / Green / Nargacuga (except for Lash)
Savage Deviljho (except for Black Blood)
Deviljho (except for Scalp)

For the other monsters, capturing is generally the best idea, unless you're after something specific. For instance, only slay Baleful / Gigginox when you're specifically after Nightmarish Maw. Also, when looking for Cortices, slaying is the way to go.

Comment, rate, criticize. I did this at midnight after a tiring day of hunting, so do point out any misinformation or miscalculations that may have slipped in, or cases that may have been overlooked.

Im currently Soloing the G Ranks as a Bow user,
Yeah there are now more Items/monster where it is better to kill then capping
But oddly enough it might just be me but for the Nightmarish Maw i've gotten more from shiny drops for that item then from capping or killing....which is odd XD

I always tend to cap, but if i need to then i will happily kill the monster
#6CovertGrizzlyPosted 4/22/2013 4:20:10 AM
Thanks for the list, it can get really difficult to play with hunters of different levels of experience. This game is pretty complex, so there's a lot to learn.
#7kulky13Posted 4/22/2013 6:41:16 AM
This list is helpful but nothing everyone cant look up for themselves. The main problem is trying to convince the rest of your fellow hunters that some rare matts you have a better chance for in carving.

Then watch them proceed to call you a noob and cap it anyway.