Playing SOLO old school style

#1ShakeNBakeUKPosted 4/24/2013 7:08:06 AM
If you were to play the game solo, with NO shakalaka minions, how the hell does that work as a ranged class??

This game is crazy hard playing solo tbh.

Even just having the shakalaka minions, so the monster isn't focusing you all the time, can make a quest 10x easier than back in the first game, where you had no backup and monster was always in your face. Especially something like Plesioth. If that thing is focusing you and only you, there is no way you are killing it before running out of healing potions, without some INSANE dodging skills.

I ended up getting DC'd from a room in the middle of a multiplayer quest last night, leaving me to solo a G Rank monster using a LBG with no shakalakas, and I literally could not do ****, as soon as I go to aim, the monster is on top of me XD

That's the primary reason why I think the series got so much easier than before (Moga Village anyway).

I might start a fresh character with no shakalaka companions for the lulz, and see how far I can get before I hit a wall xD
---
MH3U (WiiU) NNID: ShakeNBakeUK
GS / Hammer / DS / LBG | Online: HR7 | Offline: 9*
#2KaiserWarriorPosted 4/24/2013 7:15:39 AM
You need to be faster. Soloing monsters with ranged weapons is entirely doable, you just have to be quick on the aim and get your shots off. People have been doing it since the PS2 days.

Monsters are easier solo than they are multi, even with the midgets. A monster that only has one target is incredibly predictable due to the way Monster Hunter's AI works, and though it's gotten slightly better recently, you can still very nearly control what the monster does simply by disciplined positioning.
#3BushidistPosted 4/24/2013 7:18:14 AM
Is it just me, or do "midgets" in this game totally suck at keeping aggro in comparison to MHFU? It's pissing me off. Maybe I just have the wrong mask's equipped.
---
"Don't look at your glass and sigh that it's half empty. Rejoice that it's half full." - Almonte
#4Parukia256Posted 4/24/2013 7:21:20 AM
This is my issue with people playing online only: You can't do **** alone. The game is made to be solo with multiplayer slapped in. If I can HBG alone my way through MHFU, then you sure as hell can here.
---
NANOMACHINES, SON.
#5Synthetic_CKPosted 4/24/2013 7:22:54 AM
On some hunts I leave them behind because I get sick of chasing the monster all over the place. Bring your face to my blade!
---
LOL@console fanboys. Just because it's the only console YOU own doesn't mean the others suck. Great games on all systems. Get over yourself, shut up and play.
#6ShadowMaster684Posted 4/24/2013 7:29:41 AM
Is it just me, or do "midgets" in this game totally suck at keeping aggro in comparison to MHFU? It's pissing me off. Maybe I just have the wrong mask's equipped.

Throw on some Nargacuga armor. You'll be yelling at the monster to attack you before long.
#7OtachiSwordXLPosted 4/24/2013 7:36:44 AM
Honestly, I think it's easier when the monster only has you to target. It makes the creature entirely predictable. Only time I bring my shakas is on elder dragons.
---
Zomg, Otachi too? BEST. ORGY. EVER. - Boldrin
I've had enough of your disingenuous assertions!
#8ShadowMaster684Posted 4/24/2013 7:39:38 AM
Honestly, I think it's easier when the monster only has you to target. It makes the creature entirely predictable. Only time I bring my shakas is on elder dragons.

I completely agree with this. Since Kayamba carved me my first Brachydios Gem in my 15 hunts, though, I feel like I can't afford to not take them along, if only for the hopes of other materials.
#9UlNinPosted 4/24/2013 7:44:57 AM
I've been using only LBG and mostly solo-ing. The Shakas are amazing and without a doubt have helped a great deal in terms of my progression.

That said, I'm pretty sure I would still have gotten at least to where I am (Village 9* and HR 4) without them. It just would have taken longer. Sometimes they both get carted so I have a pretty good idea what hunting without them would be like. And if I can continue gunning Brach during Rage Mode without my decoys drawing fire, then I'm probably not at the wall yet. And I'm not that good at Monster Hunter.
---
Confession Time: I am a button masher
#10OldDirtyCRPosted 4/24/2013 9:07:48 AM
OtachiSwordXL posted...

The gathers are too valuable IMO to give up just for that. 3 tail carves in one quest makes grinding rare mats so much faster.
---
Official husband of Skyla.